OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

how to reconnect to the database after connection is closed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weiqingh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: how to reconnect to the database after connection is closed Reply with quote

hi there,

I have registered a database connection to a mysql server in calc and I can see all the tables in the "Data Sources" view. I was able to drag a table to a cell and display all the rows of that table in the sheet. I can run "refresh range" too.

However, after having the file open for a few days, I got an error trying to access the table from calc: "The data content could not be loaded. No operations allowed after connection closed". I tried to disconnect the database (in the "data source" view) and then double click on it again. but I still got the same error. How do I reconnect to the database?

Thanks,
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that the database is still reachable?
What happens when you restart the office suite (mind the nasty quick-starter)?
You may try connection pooling (Tools>Options>Base>Connections)
weiqingh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am sure the database is still running -- I could open a mysql client and connect to it. As of now, the only way to get back the database connection is to re-create a brand new database and then link a sheet/cell to it again.

I am also trying to figure out if connection pool would help me. The problem is that when I created the database, I used com.mysql.jdbc.Driver as my driver class ( I specified a classpath pointing to the jar containing that class). but that class is not listed under any of the classes in the conection pool page.

If I tried to use classes listed in the connection pool page to create my database, e.g. org.openoffice.comp.drivers.MySQLDriver or com.sun.star.comp.sdbc.JDBCDriver, I got an error saying the class cannot be loaded correctly.

I am also curious why would connection pool help the problem. there is also a timeout associated with the pool.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the connection pooling. Silly me. I have no clue why your connection breaks.
weiqingh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem might be that I have not saved the password for mysql database. When I created the connection, there is an option to test the connection and I have put my password there and the connection test was successful. But there is no checkbox or any other option to save the password. Did I miss something?
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong. Whoever tries to connect to your database will be prompted for the password. Of course OOo does not store the password, otherwise a copy of your Base document could be used as access key.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong. Whoever tries to connect to your database will be prompted for the password. Of course OOo does not store the password, otherwise a copy of your Base document could be used as access key.
weiqingh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. but my point is that given it doesn't save the password, when it tried to re-connect to the database later, I never got a prompt for inputting my password again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: