OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

1.9.74 - can't edit table once created
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evershade
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: 1.9.74 - can't edit table once created Reply with quote

using the new base application hsqldb format, i don't seem to be able to alter my table definitions once i've created them. i can add new fields but all old ones appear to be locked (name, data type, and description).

i can edit the table data with no trouble at all.

am i missing something or is this a limitation?

Smile
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experience the same behaviour on Windows XP SP2. Once a table is saved, the field definitions and types cannot be changed. However, the fields can be deleted. That's what I use as a workaround when I want to modify existing fields. I don't know whether this is a bug, but it sure looks like one. Otherwise why is it possible to delete fields, but not modify? I think we should check IssueZilla, and see whether this has been filed as an issue.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Last edited by Lazy-legs on Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here, W2K + XP SP2
PoolBall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue here, Windows XP SP2
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the liberty of submitting the issue.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=41785

Kind regards,
Dmitri
dniezby
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That same thing happens here, however, to work around it you can add the new fields and save it under a different table name.

The bigger issue is that you can't seem to change the Primary Key once it's been saved.
gunksta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Same On Linux Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the same goes for Linux. I've got some small relational stuff I wanted to move over to this whole HSQLDB, but it looks like for the moment I'm sticking to the mysql.
evershade
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the record, i'm also on xp sp2

i also went and checked out the hsqldb docs at:

http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/web/hsqlDocsFrame.html

and they don't list this as a limitation. in fact, their sql syntax provides specific examples of how to change a column's name
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that this problem is not listed as fixed in the changelog for 1.9.77.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
rohit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Problem editing fields and primary key in Linux too Reply with quote

The problem of not being able to edit fields and also not being able to assign a new primary key or even removing the primary key is present in Linux too. I use suse 9.1.

BTW thanks to dmpop for registering it
frazelle09
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update and say that i'm having a prob. w / this as well. i'm using Linux Mandrake 10.1 and the oo m.77

"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
Bahá'u'lláh

"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
Bahá'u'lláh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here both on Mandrake 10.0 official / WinXP Home + OOo 1.9.77 and 1.9.79 using the embeded HSQLDB Twisted Evil
magnusprime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Similar Issue Here Reply with quote

I am on Windows XP SP 2, running OOo 1.1.4. I created a data source to my calc spreadsheet, and once I do that, it seems to lock in the data.

For example, I have a spreadsheet that contains addresses for my friends. However, for some, I do not have their address yet. So I create the data source, and it lets me browse the data no problem.
Now I add the new info to the spreadsheet once I get their address, but when I view the data source (through the mail merge feature of Writer, lets say) it still shows the old data.

How do I get it to show new data?

Thanks
oc3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: saving an edited field in a database Reply with quote

I've never posted anything like this before, and I know everybody that reads this is way more advanced than I am. I started using this program a month or so ago, and I've been trying to fnd the time to set up a database. Well, I set up the whole thing (the fields AND the data) and it worked great. Of course, then I decide I want to add more fields to put more information on (and increase the default text from 50 to 254 - the max). So I go in and edit the database. The program shuts down. I firgured out how to work around it Sunday at 2 am and passed out right after. Well, I needed to make another change and here it is Thursday at 2 am, after four hours of trying to remember what I did Sunday. Anyway, if you guys are having the same problem I am, which is sounds like you are, here is an "easier" solution than the macros and other stuff I read and I'm like duuuhhhh.

Here goes: When I edit the table, oo shuts down, BUT it saves the changes I made to the table to a new file with a "0" after it. After it shuts down and you click the okay to send the problem off to whoever to look at, reopen a text document and hit the "f4" button to pull up the database thingy at the top. Find your the table and the saved one with the "0" after it. Then right click on your file with the records on it (the one without the "0") and click "copy." Then go to the one WITH the zero after it right click and then click "paste." A dialogue comes up. Click on the "attach data" button AND go to where it has the table name and add the "0" (zero) so the name matches the "modified" table name. Then click next. Make SURE the corresponding fields are across from each other (move them up and down with the little arrows). The destination table will have your additional fields in it from your "modification." When they all match, click on "Create."

What happens is all the data entry (records you typed) are copied to the edited table. That means you're good table is now the one WITH the zero after it. I went ahead and deleted the old file (be careful, I think once you right click and delete, it's gonna be gone - much to my chagrin) and renamed the one with the Zero so it didn't have a zero there.

Sorry it took me so long to get to the point, it's really a simple cut and paste process, but it worked for me. Since I don't know anything about the programming stuff, you might want to set up some dummy files and try it out first (and to practice) to make sure it works. I'm on XP service pack 2.

I would actually really like to hear back from anybody that this helps, so if you could take a second and reply it would be appreciated (then at least I'll know I'll justify wasting all this time because it might have furthered the free software cause or something like that).
oc3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: for magnus prime Reply with quote

Again, I don't know anything except what Ive screwed around with here. I do know that the mail merge will PRINT the updated records, or it will SAVE a new file with the parameters instead of printing. To get the document to show the updated names, you need to save it and then open the new file name. The original is just the file as you saved it the first time. From what I can tell, it doesn't "refresh" the records with the document, it just saves a new document for each record, but keeps all the records in one place. For me, it's fine that way because I need to retain the original document anyway without changes (accidental or otherwise). If you want to scroll through it, I don't think it'll work for you unless you do a report.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: