OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Super newb in need of guidance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattKrzywonski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Super newb in need of guidance... Reply with quote

Hello all, I have looked at several tutorials and have looked through the threads but still feel a little lost on a few aspects of my project. I'm not looking to have the work done for me but I could sure use some guidance on what I'm trying to accomplish...
I have a very large group of friends that I play golf with on a weekly basis and my goal is to build a database that allows us to track our rounds and record statistics such as fairways and greens in regulation, sand saves and overall strokes including number of putts, and to be able to create stat sheets and graphs to display everyone's comparative performance.
I'm not any kind of programmer and this is purely a hobby for me. I know that there are plenty of online stat sheets but ultimately we want to be able to compare each others games in one database and the web based stats don't get the job done. I think I'm on the right track so far in terms of the tables I have built but it's putting all of that data together in an easy to use and cohesive format that has me baffled.
My main issues right now are building a course review form and a round tracking form. For the course review form the data will be populated on the form from tables "courseinfo" and "holeinfo". I would like to be able to use a drop down box to display the data from the the field "coursename" contained in table "courseinfo" to choose a course and then have the hole detail information from table "holeinfo" auto populate on the form. I would also like to be able to use a drop down box that contains all hole numbers, which I have in a seperate table called "holenumbers", to navigate through the different hole details and auto populate the data when a new hole number is picked. Is there a more efficient way to do this than by building a query? I don't want new data to be generated through this review form but I would like to keep the "notes" field in the "holeinfo" table to be modified.

For example;
From table "coursename"
choose "xyz" from field "coursename" in a drop down
then fields "city", "state", "par", "rating", and "slope" will auto populate from table "courseinfo"
Then, from table "holenumber"
choose hole "1" in a drop down
then fields "proyardage", champyardage", regularyardage", "ladiesyardage", "par", "handicap", "description", "picture", and "notes" will auto populate and then change by picking a different hole number from the drop down box.

The round tracking form is where I'm at a total loss...
Similarly to the hole review form, with the round tracking form I would like to use drop down boxes to auto populate form data, but rather than hole data, I want to be able to choose a course, then choose the tees played from, and have the yardage and info from all 18 holes be displayed and then be able to enter the play info for the hole.

Example;
Choose course "xyz" from table "courseinfo" in a drop down
then choose "pro" from table "teetype" in a drop down
then have fields "holenumber" ( 1-18 ), "yardage", and "par" auto populate across all 18 holes.
Then the user would be able to enter play data to table "holeplaydata" with yes/no buttons for fields "green?", "fairway?", and "sandsave?" and then manually enter data for fields "strokes" and "putts".

Do I need to do 18 separate entries in the "holeplaydata" table for "green?", "fairway?", "sandsave?", "strokes", and "putts" in order to have a whole round of play as one individual record where the other data can be auto populated?

Help!!!!!
dacm
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Super newb in need of guidance... Reply with quote

MattKrzywonski wrote:
...I'm not looking to have the work done for me but I could sure use some guidance...

...For the course review form...I would like to be able to use a drop down box to display the..."coursename"...and then have the hole detail information from table "holeinfo" auto populate on the form...also...a drop down box that contains all hole numbers...auto populate the data...I would like to keep the "notes" field in the "holeinfo" table to be modified.

The round tracking form is where I'm at a total loss... use drop down boxes to auto populate...and then be able to enter the play info for the hole.

Do I need to do 18 separate entries in the "holeplaydata" table for "green?", "fairway?", "sandsave?", "strokes", and "putts" in order to have a whole round of play as one individual record where the other data can be auto populated?

Everything you've described is possible. You'll need a good understanding of many-to-many relationships in order to minimize redundancy in your table design. And you'll need to understand Base Forms with respect to searching by List Box selection, and cascading List Box filtering techniques.

Here's some suggested reading:
Base Tutorials
[Example #1] Filter/Search with Forms (leveraging SubForms)
[Example #2] cascading List Box and/or Text Box filters
MattKrzywonski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

After reading some of the tutorials I've found, and specifically the one from Fred Coulson on normalized forms, I think I had a fair grasp of the concept from my last project. The one place I am slightly confused on is my table "round_play_data", all of my other tables fit the 3nf standard, but I'm not sure that table does. My confusion is due in part to the end result I want, ie; keeping all data for one round as a stand alone record, and to be able to enter all 18 holes of play data on one form versus 18 separate forms. My questions are, does it violate 3nf to keep 18 repeating entries for fields, "hole_number", "strokes", "green?", "fairway?', "sand_save?", and "putts" ( 1 for each hole of play ), on the "round_play_data" table? Half of me thinks it does and half of me thinks it doesn't, but if it does, is it more efficient to break it up? If I do break it up to fit 3nf, can I still use one form to enter all data from a given round?
MattKrzywonski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a big part of my confusion is that while one course has many holes it will never be an infinite number...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: