OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Newbie wants to know how to write web pages?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxiesdemon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Newbie wants to know how to write web pages? Reply with quote

Confused Ok ffolks - anyone want to teach a raw novice how to write web pages? I've just 'upgraded to OO1.1.4 on Linux. I want to create a site for my club swimmers and coaches.
cinnabar
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to use OOo to create website, put something otgether in OOwriter and and save it as .html format. OOo produces okay code.
McNerd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Another Option..... Reply with quote

Another option perhaps is to use another Open Source piece of software called NVU (New View) from the Mozilla family (http://www.nvu.com) which replaces MS FrontPage and Macromedia's DreamWeaver for publishing webpages..
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinnabar wrote:
OOo produces okay code.

The code, that OOo produces, is far from OK. Although it's not such shit as in the case of Ms Word, still, OOo is not a good tool for web design.

McNerd wrote:
replaces MS FrontPage and Macromedia's DreamWeaver for publishing webpage

FrontPage and DreamWeaver are from different planets, and I can hardly imagine a program that would replace both.

Back to the topic, for a novice I'd recommend Arachnophilia (http://www.arachnoid.com/). It's free and Java (i.e., cross-platform). Unfortunately, I dont' know any other entry-level program for Linux. And for Arachnophilia, you still have to learn at least the basics of HTML first.
Lazy-legs
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also recommend to use a dedicated web editor. NVU is a good choice, since it allows you to edit pages in the WYSIWYG mode. I don't know whether it can replace FrontPage and Dreamweaver, but it's definitely worth a try.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
maxiesdemon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Tried to use arachnoid but Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Tried to use www.arachnoid.com - says my browser is not java enabled -my browser (firefox) says it is??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: