OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Importing Large .CSV into base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarumayo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Importing Large .CSV into base Reply with quote

I am trying to import a very large .csv file into Base. This file has over 40,000 rows of data and if I try to copy and paste it from calc it crashes base. Is there another way I can do this?

Thanks
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the TOP of your imported file that you have in Calc, is the row header, that includes field / column names.

So, try the following:
  1. Copy the first 10000 fields to the clipboard
  2. Paste it to the Base file
  3. Complete the Wizard steps for the first 10000 rows / records
  4. Do the same with row 10001 to 20000 and do not forget to include the original row with the field names
  5. Do the same with row 20001 to 30000 and do not forget to include the original row with the field names
  6. Do the same with row 30001 to 40000 and do not forget to include the original row with the field names
The point, a 'big' problem, break it down into a manageable size. Smile

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.[/list][/list]
amarumayo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried that, but I can't seem to figure out how to place the split parts back into a single base table. I can only paste the first 10,000 records but then I am required to paste the next 10,000 in a new table.
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a Table defined, you want to APPEND that new data ( you copied to your clipboard ) in the already defined table.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post Title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
Villeroy
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could import well over a million rows exported from Paradox via 20 spreadsheets when Calc supported no more than 65536 rows.
I remember some crashes due to inconsistent data. There were scrambled values which appeared as binary garbage in the respective sheet cells.
A collection of spreadsheet formulas to test and clean up dirty sheet data and determine appropriate field types:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34056#p156196

Depending on the exact structure of your data and the capabilities of your database backend, you may also use the database backend to create a native database table linked to the text file. MySQL can import many different flavours of valid csv whereas HSQL is somewhat limited in what it accepts as valid dates and numerals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: