OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

WP document differences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: WP document differences Reply with quote

I'm working with some documents which originated in MSWord 2010 (.docx). They have whole sections that are indented and in different fonts. The student sends the documents to fanfic.net and both the fonts and the indenting disappear.

Obviously this could be merely the use of old Notepad level software at fanfic.net. I can convert them to RTF and even Wordpad retains the indenting and fonts.

Might it alternatively be Word 2010 using oddball characters to indicate the styles?

Has anyone heard of a converter that will convert indents to plain tabs or spaces?

Jim
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not just have to paste or type in plain text to the site and then use these:

jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
Do you not just have to paste or type in plain text to the site and then use these:

It isn't like posting a message of a few lines on here. Authors I work with don't type or paste a paragraph into an editor on fanficiton.net. They upload documents as long as 30 pages, that they have written, edited, re-written, re-edited and polished.

I'm working with one upcoming author right now who will spend days on a few pages fixing squinting sentences. Some of these people are real good authors. One just published her first novel "Fences," an eBook on Amazon. It's good. Nothing you could build while fighting with the fanfic site's lack of software.

Sure pasting will transfer the same stuff into a document in OO, yes.

But perhaps you missed the part about these being uploaded to a site with text handling software on the level of Notepad.They do not recognize MSW 2010's indent character.

Paste that same block of indented text into Notepad or software of that level and the indentation disappears - everything is plastered right up tight to the left margin. That is _THE_ WHOLE_ENTIRE_ POINT of my OP.

Which is why I need the indentation converted to space characters which Notepad, etc., do recognize and will not throw away. The barest editor recognizes an h20.

MSW 2010 apparently has one set of characters at the start of the block that causes the indenting. No tabs, no spaces. Do a left delete at the beginning of an indented line and it merely connects back to the previous word. The indentation remains the same. No tabs, no spaces.

So my question is valid and I ask again if anyone knows of a converter that will turn MSW 2010 indents into spaced lines. I know there is such a thing out there in general, a lot of them, but haven't found one that works with MSW 2010 on Windblows XP Pro or W7Pro. Many of them are for Linux, etc.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install AltSearch you can search for \p and replace with \p followed by a number of spaces (or en or em spaces) or \p\t with "Regular Expressions" checked.

You should be able to remove the indents from the style setting for the paragraphs, but if they are going to be ignored I guess it shouldn't be necessary.
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
If you install AltSearch you can search for \p and replace with \p followed by a number of spaces (or en or em spaces) or \p\t with "Regular Expressions" checked.

If you are talking about the alternative search by Tomas Bilek with the green binoculars icon, I have that.

As I said, I'm looking for whole sections indented, not just one line - but one or more paragraphs indented, moved over like it was on a separate piece of paper and you moved the paper over. Like a block quotation in a research paper or a block in a programming editor.

\p is the end of paragraph marker. Replacing it with spaces puts spaces (and the 1st line of the current para, onto the end of the previous paragraph, and if that line is long it wraps to the left margin. If you want it in the same place it started at you have to go to the end of the previous paragraph, before the added spaces, and hit Return. All the rest of the lines remain in the MSW 2010 condition.
Quote:

You should be able to remove the indents from the style setting for the paragraphs, but if they are going to be ignored I guess it shouldn't be necessary.

Don't want them removed. That upload site removes all MSW indentation. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. I need each line spaced over so it has to keep the extra margin on the indented sections.

MSW 2010 indents these sections. I need a converter to indent these sections with h20's. I don't actually know if the uploads site preserves tabs, but the MSW 2010 indented sections are NOT tabbed.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiml2 wrote:
\p is the end of paragraph marker. Replacing it with spaces puts spaces (and the 1st line of the current para, onto the end of the previous paragraph, and if that line is long it wraps to the left margin.

Not if you replace with $ or \p followed by the spaces.

I read this:

Quote:
Fanfiction.net states "Only Story format documents can be later converted into publishable stories/chapters. Story format has a restricted set of layout styles: underline, bold, italic, and text centering. All text will be displayed in black color."

If you have a PC and are using anything other then Microsoft word then you need to convert it to a word document. Other document that FF.net can read are:

"List of Supported Document/File Formats:
# OpenOffice (.sxw, .odt)

# = Enhanced support where basic layout styles (bold, italics, underlines, centering) will be preserved. Highly Recommended.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081010111529AAotGRf

My suggestion is that you use two hard returns between paragraphs and set the text in a monospace font. Now with AltSearch search for \p\p and replace with \p\p###. Export the result as a PDF. Open the PDF (in Acrobat Reader), do select all (Ctrl+A) and then copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+P) to a fresh new Writer document. You will find that all lines of text now end with a paragraph mark. Replace the ### with \p and you have your text back in paragraphs properly. You can then use the above discussed method to replace the paragraph marks with a paragraph mark followed by the desired number of spaces.
jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
jiml2 wrote:
\p is the end of paragraph marker. Replacing it with spaces puts spaces (and the 1st line of the current para, onto the end of the previous paragraph, and if that line is long it wraps to the left margin.

Not if you replace with $ or \p followed by the spaces.

You're right. Putting \p then the spaces does put the paragraph down where it belongs.

But it STILL indents only ONE line and wraps the NEXT line to the left margin. (We need hundreds of lines inset) The rest of that paragraph and all following inset paragraphs (hundreds of lines) are untouched.

Once again, the whole purpose is to inset all the inset blocks without the Word 2010 formatting. As you say Story Format can't do it; it's basically Notepad level software, as I said.

Once again, the only way I see to do that is by adding spaces at the beginning of each line that Word 2010 insets by its method. Copying spaces is apparently something Story Format has high enough technology to do.

That COULD be done by _manually_ inserting the thousands of spaces necessary (10 at the beginning of each inset block line) to get the same indentation effect on in Story Format.

Once again, there are converters that do that.

Once again, I can't find one for Word 2010.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiml2 wrote:
But it STILL indents only ONE line and wraps the NEXT line to the left margin. (We need hundreds of lines inset) The rest of that paragraph and all following inset paragraphs (hundreds of lines) are untouched.

This is the whole point of exporting to .pdf and then copy/pasting back – it puts a paragraph mark at the end of each line.
My monospace suggestion is so that you can set the line width to a definite number of characters for the document. You can then decrease the width by ten characters in the sections you want to indent and use the search and replace method suggested. The text will move over without wrapping because there are ten spaces available.

Formatting indents with spaces is totally against the principles of word-processing. Some/many text editors intended for editing software code can indent using spaces. A few examples

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/manual/ch07.html
http://www.ultraedit.com/support/tutorials_power_tips/ultraedit/configure_word_wrap_tab_settings.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165343.aspx

to which you can probably add Emacs and Vim (with a patch). I doubt however these can deal with underline if they can deal with italics.

It may be possible to write a macro for OpenOffice to do the job; so far I haven't spotted that there is one already in existence.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This macro will insert ten hashes ########## at the beginning of the line in which the cursor is present. Continually clicking OK will repeat the process line after line.

Code:
Sub repeatingMacro

Do
  IndentSpaces
  print "Continue ?"
Loop

End Sub

Sub IndentSpaces

oDoc = ThisComponent
oVC = oDoc.CurrentController.getViewCursor
oVC.gotoStartOfLine(false)
oTC = oDoc.Text.createTextCursorByRange(oVC)
oTC.String = "##########"
oVC.gotoRange(oTC,false)
oVC.goDown(1,false)

End Sub

jiml2
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
This macro will insert ten hashes ########## at the beginning of the line in which the cursor is present. Continually clicking OK will repeat the process line after line.

Code:
Sub repeatingMacro

Do
  IndentSpaces
  print "Continue ?"
Loop

End Sub

Sub IndentSpaces

oDoc = ThisComponent
oVC = oDoc.CurrentController.getViewCursor
oVC.gotoStartOfLine(false)
oTC = oDoc.Text.createTextCursorByRange(oVC)
oTC.String = "##########"
oVC.gotoRange(oTC,false)
oVC.goDown(1,false)

End Sub

Thanks. I appreciate it
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use 10 non-breaking spaces (Unicode U+00A0) instead of the hashes – ordinary spaces just wrap, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: