OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Bulleted list with hanging indents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Billington
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Bulleted list with hanging indents? Reply with quote

For talk outlines, I want a series of nested hanging indents. The bulleted list works well because it allows me to indent, or decrease indent with the tab or shift-tab keys. However, bullets seem to come in only one format: The bullet character, then EVEN text after that. I want NO BULLET CHARACTER, but then nested hanging indents.

ie:

This would be the first level of indent
..........and it would be indented like this
..........with the next wrapped line appearing here.
.....This would be the second level of indent
...............and it would be indented like this
...............with the next wrapped line appearing here.
..........This would be the third level of indent
....................and it would be indented like this
....................with the next wrapped line appearing here.

You will notice that not only are the hanging indents nested, but they do NOT line up with one another, but are instead staggered. For me, this makes it much easier to identify visually when working with a talk outline. A 0.25" offset between first lines of the successive nested indents works well, with the 'hang' on the indent being double that (about 0.5") if that makes sense. This is what I have tried to show above using periods to indicate the desired indents.

I am happy to do this either one of two ways:
1) Using a numbered or bulleted list whereby I can use the tab/Shift-tab keys to move the indents where I need them.
2) Use the increase/decrease indent buttons - IF I CAN ADJUST THE AMOUNT OF INDENT that is applied. At the moment, this appears to be fixed at 1/2 " and I know of no way to adjust it. Getting it set at 1/4" would be fine, and I can just use standard hanging indents from there.

I've been going through the "OpenOffice.org 1.0 Resource Kit" by Solveig Haugland and I see no way to do what I need explained there either.

For the time being, I would rather avoid macros written my someone else. I like to know WHY things work, and macro programming is not yet on the radar. I will get to it eventually, but it is more than I can handle at the moment.

Is there a way to do this without going into macros?

I've tried creating hanging indents with smaller offsets, but then I am limited by the 1/2" increase/decrease indent problem.

I've tried modifying a numbered/bulleted list, but though I seem to be able to adjust the hanging indent in the "edit paragrpah styles" dialog box , when I apply it, nothing happens. Perhaps I need to create a custom style here as the base styles cannot be modified?

This is all new to me, so I'm struggling with trying to figure out WHY things work like they do.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Frank.
multi-lingual_ooo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bulleted list with hanging indents? Reply with quote

Frank Billington wrote:
For talk outlines, I want a series of nested hanging indents.

Here is one way of doing things.

a) Create a numbering style, with the bullet you wnat to use. Call it, "my_bullet_style.".

b) Create a paragraph style, "first_bullet"
i) Put the "my_bullet_style" as the numbering style.
ii) Set the margins at "Indents and Spacing" to appropriate figures.
Remember to also set the "First Line".

c) Create another paragraph style. Call it "second bullet".
i) Link it to the style you just created.
ii) Make the margin 1 cm (or whatever you wanted) wider than "first_bulllet".
ii) Adjust "First Line" appropriately.
iii) Set up "second bullet" as the _next paragraph style_ for "first_bullet".

d) Repeat creating paragraphs until you have six or seven.

the smallest stepI've gotton to work in OOo, has been either 3 mm or 5mm. [Well, either 2.99 and 4.99 mm, if you want to be "exact".]

You may also have to make some modifications to the character style _bullets_.

xan

jonathon

http://oooauthors.org/en/members/tutorials/multilingualooo/
http://esnips.com/web/OOoRelatedThings/
http://esnips.com/web/GraphologyTools
Frank Billington
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan:

Thanks for the suggestions. This does have the disadvantage of having to define a serious of styles -- one for each successive level of indent. I had hoped for something simpler.

I have managed to get around this by editing the hanging indent style so that it starts on the margin. Indent can be increased or decresed by just clicking the increase/decrease indent button on the toolbar. The limitation to that was in the 'steps' that OO uses (fixed at 0.49"). However, another user showed me that this 1/2" setting is actually the same as the default tab stops. Default tab stops can be set in the document through Tools | Options | Text Document | General. I have a template set with 0.25" default tab stops. My hanging indent is set with 1/2" overhang. I can move my hanging indents back and forth now quite easily with the increase/decrease indent buttons. Only one style needed.

Thanks.

Frank.
ftack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, you should use styles. There is is no need to use multiple styles for what you want to do: you need one single, customized numbering style, even though you do not want any bullets or numbers.

To achieve the layout you wanted, I created a new numbering style, customized using the Options and Position tabs as following

Options tab:
level: 1-10: "Numbering": none/ "Before" and "After" : (empty)

Positions tab: For each level, indicate a value for Indent, e.g. level 2: 1 cm, level 3, 2 cm, etc. (You can also do this with 'relative' offsets: if you check "relative", the Indent yu specify will add to the indent of the previous leve, e.g. each level indents 1 cm from the previous level.

That's it.

To use the style, double-click it in the stylist and start typing. To "nest" an indent, press the Tab-key any time while at the very start of the line. Press Shift-tab to decrease the indent.

This is essentially what you need, but it is good practice, as multi-lingual_ooo outlined, to attach your custom numbering style to a dedicated paragraph style for your lists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: