Joined: 07 Aug 2012
|Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 am Post subject: Why is mail merge so difficult: Records to print is n-1
|Here is another weird and bizarre problem with trying to do a mail merge with OOo 3.3.
Selecting a range of records to print actually only prints one less record than what was chosen.
1. The mail merge uses a 2-up page to print addresses on postcards that are half of a letter-size page.
2. Choose Print, yes we want to do a mail merge
3. Select records. For this test, I just want the first two records.
4. And this is the print preview. Notice a problem? THERE IS ONLY ONE ADDRESS.
5. Okay, cancel that, try again.
This time we tell it we want to print records 1 to 3:
6. And this is the result. We now have two records on the print preview, but note at the bottom it says page 1 of 1...... NOT 1 OF 2 PAGES.
So that third record just isn't going to be printed.
I have no explanation for what is going on here.
It is at times like this where I start telling people, um well yes you do have to pay for Microsoft Office, but I've never had any problems with its mail merge system.