OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Trouble with Table headers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelphaX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Trouble with Table headers Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently trying to find a way to create "elaborate" table headers with OpenOffice Writer as in the example below :

Code:
----------------------------------------------
|                  Table title               |
|--------------------------------------------|
| ColHeader1 | ColHeader2 | ... | ColHeaderN |
|============================================|
| ColData1-1 | ColData2-1 | ... | ColDataN-1 |
|                       .                    |
| ColData1-P | ColData2-P | ... | ColDataN-P |
----------------------------------------------

What I'd like to have is that the first 2 rows (Table title AND ColHeaders) repeat on the top of each page. I have already tried to create a (P+1)xN table, merging the first row cells, then splitting horizontally to create the ColHeader row which I split in N columns, but it only repeats the Table title row, though the ColHeader row's style is Table Heading.

I've also tried to create a (P+1)x1 table, same operations as above, without the first merge, but it doesn't work either. Does somebody have a solution for this or it is, as I'm beginning to think, totally impossible ?
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you first create the table with the default tools, then select the first row and finally split it in two (or more), the whole set of rows are considered as "headers", so they replicate themselves in every page. The problem is that you cannot merge the cells of the first row into only one cell, so, in order to obtain what you want, the only workaround I can think of is erase the lines between those cells, and write the title in the middle cell
DelphaX
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already tried that too, but then there's another problem : if the Table title is too long to fit in the cell's width, it wraps on the next line and I don't want that to happen. What's more, if the text wraps on the next line, only the cell containing the title changes height. The other cells on the "first row" don't change and it messes up the whole header.
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another workaround: if you insert a text box from the draw tools, and anchor it to a paragraph in the first cell, you can change the dimension of it to fill the whole first row, and insert the text you want, with the format you want. Also, it repeat itself in every page.
For some reason, I can't do the same with frames, but text box could work, I hope.
Good luck
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB wrote:
If you first create the table with the default tools, then select the first row and finally split it in two (or more), the whole set of rows are considered as "headers", so they replicate themselves in every page. The problem is that you cannot merge the cells of the first row into only one cell, so, in order to obtain what you want, the only workaround I can think of is erase the lines between those cells, and write the title in the middle cell

This is solved in 1.9.79. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can have complex header like this:

row 1 : 1 column
row 2 : 3 columns
row 3 : 2 columns

all irregular width
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: