OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Time formatting changes in cell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thingy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Time formatting changes in cell Reply with quote

I want some cells (i.e. C4:D20) to be displayed as time-format TT.MM hours and minutes.
I want to be able to just enter the hour if minutes should be 00. but if I do the format of the cell changes automatically. I want it to keep the format of TT.MM and display 12.00 if I enter 12

when I realize the format has changed in the cell I try to enter it the correct way, i.e. 12.00, but now the format is changed to TT.MM.SS and the cell displays 12.00.00

How can I lock the formatting of a cell so it keeps the formatting until I unlock it or change it manually?
How can I set a cell to display one format and convert some formats (the ones missing minutes) to show the format I want, and not the standard format?

I use the swedish version so TT might be HH.
Iannz
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that you are describing has been 'addressed' in the developer builds for OpenOffice.org.
In the new version the format of a cell always remains provided that the format isn't a default for that type of format.
The concept is enter a time 12:34 and the format will default to the default time format for your locale. Now in the same cell enter 1/1/05 and the cell format will default to the default date format for your locale.
However if you set a fomat that is not a defult then that format stays regardless of what you enter.

In the meantime I can only suggest entering the :00.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development_basic a wiki about writing OpenOffice.org extensions.
Thingy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think it was just me.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Time changes Reply with quote

Just curious now, and "playing around". I formatted a cell as time HH:MM [24 hr clock.] I entered 12:00. No problem. I entered 12, and it reverted apparently to "number", cancelling my formatting. So, leaving the cell content as 12, I reformatted as HH:MM. Result? 00:00. However, the cell content showed on a double click as 288:00:00. Now where in the name of all that's holy did that come from? I'd like to suggest that there be some effort to program so that if a user formats a cell it stays that way until the user decides what he or she wants. That would be a big plus in my opinion.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: