OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Horror : a "real" question about Open Office
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickJennings
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Horror : a "real" question about Open Office Reply with quote

Hi all,

A brief look at the contents of the last few posts doesn't fill me with confidence, but maybe this IS a useful forum after all - maybe I was just unlucky ?

I'm evaluating Open Office and my team might choose to replace MS Office with Open Office for around 300 users. However, so far I haven't found an answer to a key question, so let's see if anyone here can help.

Our WAN uses MS Exchange Server and Outlook as the backbone for our mail, calendars, contacts etc. Does any part of Open Office provide similar functionality to Outlook ?

Thanks in advance. By the way, is this the official Open Office forum ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: What a daft question... Reply with quote

Err NO its an office suite.
MickJennings
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: What a shame - my fears confirmed Reply with quote

I half expected to receive tons of dumb replies to my question. I hope this is the last but ...

For the "guest" (not even brave enough to declare his/her identity) who thinks that office communication and diary/contact management is NOT part of a true office suite - what kind of offices have you actually worked in ? Exchange does a lot for us and I'm not about to take that functionality away. However, if there is an Open Office component which can interface with Exchange (or replace it includign the Public Folders) then I'm interested enough to listen.

If you don't have a useful contribution, please don't reply. If you really want Open Office to take off and hit Microsoft's market penetration hard then you DON'T want to put off potential convertees with condescending or just plain dumb replies.

Mick
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: What a shame - my fears confirmed Reply with quote

MickJennings wrote:
I half expected to receive tons of dumb replies to my question. I hope this is the last but ...

For the "guest" (not even brave enough to declare his/her identity) who thinks that office communication and diary/contact management is NOT part of a true office suite - what kind of offices have you actually worked in ? Exchange does a lot for us and I'm not about to take that functionality away. However, if there is an Open Office component which can interface with Exchange (or replace it includign the Public Folders) then I'm interested enough to listen.

If you don't have a useful contribution, please don't reply. If you really want Open Office to take off and hit Microsoft's market penetration hard then you DON'T want to put off potential convertees with condescending or just plain dumb replies.

Mick

This page may be of interest to you:
http://groupware.openoffice.org/glow/

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: What a daft question... Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Err NO its an office suite.

So is MS Office and WordPerfect Office, now both providing a mail program, scheduling program etc.

Actually Outlook and Word is the most used applications from MS Office in offices world wide.

Don't expect anything like Outlook in OOo for a long time.
MickJennings
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: GLOW Reply with quote

Thanks to MAXQNZ, both for that useful link and for restoring my faith in forums.

Glow looks interesting - very interesting. It's too early yet to be able to judge, but I'll keep a watch on it.
KirkJobSluder
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What a shame - my fears confirmed Reply with quote

MickJennings wrote:

Mick

Well, I guess I'm skeptical as to the need to integrate groupware and networking into office suite rather than as separate stand-alone applications. (Also as far as I'm aware this functionality is not included in WordPerfect Office.) Part of the problem may have been the rather poor development of the base StarOffice application. But at any rate, that feature is not included with OpenOffice at this time, and I would not expect it in the near future.
MickJennings
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Groupware and Networking into Office Suite Reply with quote

Thanks Kirk,

I agree that WordPerfect Office doesn't have them - but then I'm not evaluating WP Office !

If I was considering replacing MS Office for a relatively small group of switched on users then I wouldn't have a problem with using OpenOffice AND Outlook. I might still do that anyway for my 300+ users, but it causes me some concerns which I would rather not have.

I agree that we shouldn't hold our breath - this isn't going to be part of the suite for some time. I think it needs to come though if the MS stransglehold is to be loosened. Much as I don't like their pricing policy, MS has spent a long time developing the Office suite and it's grown into a pretty good suite.

Mick
Paraplegic Racehorse
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick:

Just one more thing to consider in you eval is that I haven't found a way to link OOo to external e-mail applications that are not Mozilla/Netscape. Then again, I'm using OOo primarily on a Mac and the software doesn't yet recognize MacOS X application 'bundles' so this may not be an issue on other systems.
KirkJobSluder
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Groupware and Networking into Office Suite Reply with quote

MickJennings wrote:
Thanks Kirk,

I agree that we shouldn't hold our breath - this isn't going to be part of the suite for some time. I think it needs to come though if the MS stransglehold is to be loosened. Much as I don't like their pricing policy, MS has spent a long time developing the Office suite and it's grown into a pretty good suite.

Mick

I guess I have two objections to this:

1: I don't feel the goal should be hurting microsoft. The goal should be producing high-quality software that meets people's needs. That's why I get frustrated with all the talk about writer not doing things like word. I stopped using word because of a huge number of issues with consistency and stability.

2: I'm still not convinced that connectivity and groupware belongs bundled with the office suite because there are so many different ways to implement groupware and doing groupware right is hard to do. I would much rather that OpenOffice focus on advancing the the current suite with their limited funds and leave the groupware to Ximian Evolution (probably the closest to Outlook), Mozilla, and web-based program developers.

In regards to competition, a really great comment made about Microsoft from the chairman of real ran along the lines of "You don't beat Michael Jordan playing basketball, and you don't beat Microsoft by playing their game."
MickJennings
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: All fair comments Reply with quote

Thanks Kirk,

While I'm not worried about wheth groupware is bundled with Open Office, the fact remains that a good many people will not make the switch until they can do it all.

You're right about the goal though - it isn't to hurt MS. I happen to think they've done a great job. A little competition is good to see though.

Cheers
larsman
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick!

Though there isn't a groupware sollution for OOo jet, there are some other opensource groupware project. If you are interested take a look at www.phpgroupware.org or www.phproject.de. For detailed information about phpgroupware please be free to contact me. My company is doing patches to phpgroupware for customers.

Lars
openmind
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the german mailing list there was a discussion about integrating opengroupware.org . At short look at their website makes you feeling being in the ooo environment. But until now this there is no ooo client.

http://www.opengroupware.org

opengroupware is only a server project which can be accessed by evolution, outlook, mozilla, web-ui. They do not provide a own client.
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

openmind wrote:
On the german mailing list there was a discussion about integrating opengroupware.org . At short look at their website makes you feeling being in the ooo environment. But until now this there is no ooo client.

http://www.opengroupware.org

opengroupware is only a server project which can be accessed by evolution, outlook, mozilla, web-ui. They do not provide a own client.

Hey, this looks like a great idea! If only a win32 version was available too!
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Note that OpenOffice.org and OpenGroupware.org are complementary, but separate communities. We intend to work together to provide an industry strength solution which allows team collaboration."

Yes please! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: