OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

network install / use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.a.l

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: network install / use Reply with quote

Since ooo is basically unix, I installed it on a network drive, as to avoid 40 individual install/config. It's work great !!, ( even loading is a little slow ).

on those 40 pc, users use the same public account, whom a removed write permission on any vital files ( config ). That work well but for ooo the problem is it see several user accesing the config. Is there a way to solve that ??? at least removing dialogs warning ???

( one install, one config, several users, no write access ...)
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: network install / use Reply with quote

j.a.l wrote:
Since ooo is basically unix, I installed it on a network drive, as to avoid 40 individual install/config. It's work great !!, ( even loading is a little slow ).

huh ? unix? OOo is not an operating system!

j.a.l wrote:
on those 40 pc, users use the same public account, whom a removed write permission on any vital files ( config ). That work well but for ooo the problem is it see several user accesing the config. Is there a way to solve that ??? at least removing dialogs warning ???

why not install on the terminal using scripts? Search this forum for -net and script install.

Good luck and have fun.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: network install / use Reply with quote

j.a.l wrote:
This is a very unusual way of doing things.

The normal solution - the one the network install does as a matter of course - is one install, several users, individual configs.

The user phase of the install creates a user profile in ~/ somewhere, or under the user profile on windoze, based on a template in the network install. The user can then save thier own private changes based on your starting point.

I can't see any way to removed the dialogues in what you are doing, because they are merely telling it how it is.

One possibility would be to give them write access, but to have a daemon which overwrote the config with your preferred version every 10 seconds or so. I'd have to fiddle for a bit to make it work, but it doesn't sound too hard. (in windoze I'd start OOo from a batch file, and have the last line of the batch file do the copying, perhaps maybe)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: