OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Deploying OpenOffice using Microsoft Group policy ?????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian carroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Deploying OpenOffice using Microsoft Group policy ????? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any success in deploying OpenOffice 2.0 Beta using Active Directory Group policy?
I have successfully added the .MSI to a distribution point and have published it to a department with no problems, But my question is this, how would one go about creating a MST file to go with the installation. ?????????????????

[/b]
elliot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second this question, and expand it a little. Does anyone know how to deploy OO.org 2.0 beta across a network? This could be via GPO or through a script? I have 20 some odd machines to maintain installations on, and I want to do it through some sort of silent installer pushed from a server.
Thanks in advance,
-Elliot
karmacop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Orca Reply with quote

Ive had a look at creating a Transform for OO2beta with Microsofts Orca tool, but am not really sure what to change as the settings dont exactly speak for themselves Razz

All id like to do is to install OO2Beta without it registering itself to take over Microsoft Offices File extensions as we still mainly want to use MS office for now. We are a secondary school and most of our kids would get to confused trying to manually open files with different programs etc etc.

Regards
Fenix*NBK*
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always deploy OOo on a network with many ways:
1) Ghost Server (under Windows)
2) via VNC connection (Linux or Windows)
3) I don't think OOo will ever support Active Directory, because AC / GPO is MS technology, which is not supported by the most open-source community members.
4) via PXE technology (Linux Server, maybe Windows Server too)
5) via Terminal Services in (Windows Server)
Chrisl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Great fun with GPSI and OO 2.0beta Reply with quote

I have also sucessfully deployed Open Office 2.0 Beta using the MSI, and I can report all is well.

To deploy with group policy, you need to edit the group policy for the OU / Group and then either in the computer or user section add the msi to the 'Software Settings' -> 'Software Installer' Then point to the location of the MSI (it must be shared - along with the entirity of the install, as well as having the permissions set to allow your target to access the install)

To create a mst I suggest that you try the demo Wininstall LE available from OnDemand software. (This should also allow you to change the extension associations also).
DannyB

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Great fun with GPSI and OO 2.0beta Reply with quote

Chrisl wrote:
I have also sucessfully deployed Open Office 2.0 Beta using the MSI, and I can report all is well.

I am not a Microsoft guru. I assume that this is the best way to deploy OOo 2.0 across a network of computers? For example, if you had 10,000 desktops you wouldn't want to manually visit each one, not even over VNC or remote desktop. I assume that by using the grope policy, that the next time the user logs in, they just automatically get an install of OOo 2.0?
Chrisl

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Great fun with GPSI and OO 2.0beta Reply with quote

This method isnt too bad for deploying an application (such as Open Office). It's certainly the best way that I know of to make the application available to users with Active Directory (and Active Directory only).
The method that I described (previously) is a way to make the application available to the users (via control panel -> add/remove programs -> add new programs). With changes to group policy, a given user can install these published applications without administrator rights (i.e. install with elevated privledges for the install service only). Alternatively, the applications can be assigned to a given user (i.e. the application will follow the user from workstation to workstation - with some relatively smart rules). Alternatively, applications (in this case OpenOffice) can be assigned to given computers (that are joined to the domain). These last two methods will result in the user having the application installed for them automatically.
Another nice feature is that OOo could be installed without user invocation (under the first method) when a user atempts to open an OOo document. This, combined with RIS could make for a very quick way to deploy a desktop in an organisation. This is especially useful in the case of user has broken desktop, and the user needs to work as soon as possible (i.e. can sit down at an unattended computer and just start working)
I guess another point to make, is that you dont have to deploy to every user, you could deploy to OU's or groups wherever necessary.
In short, its not too shabby.
Does this answer your question?
DannyB

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Great fun with GPSI and OO 2.0beta Reply with quote

Chrisl wrote:
Does this answer your question?

Yes, very well.
Your post reinforces the opinion that I am forming that Microsoft has impressive features for (easily) managing large numbers of desktop computers.
Thank you.
Chrisl

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Other Deployment methods Reply with quote

Microsoft have put some thought into this in my opinon. They have tools for the larger enterprise that are surplus (in my opinon) to my requirements currently (such as System Management Server). These are much more sophisticated tools than GPSI, however GPSI is still quite effective - as I'm sure you can see.
I intend to have a look at management infrastructure for Linux in the near future (as part of an ongoing project). Hopefully I will have some alternates to report for OOo for Linux at some point as well (if someone has already written about these, I'll be more than happy to read their posts also!)
DannyB

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use the Windows box that my employer provides me. All Linux at home. But what little bits I have picked up suggest that Microsoft has some really powerful stuff for managing large networks. Features I'd like to see developed, and to see become common in Linux distributions that are for the Desktop in large deployments.
thookerov
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Program settings/behaviors - during or after deployment? Reply with quote

i see this topic hasn't been touched on in a few months. But i have some further questions for any experts/gurus who have successfully deployed the OOo MSI.

1. i've constantly encountered an installer bug that crashes the installation process if you point the beta to an existing OOo installation directory. If it's installed in "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice", for instance, trying to put a newer beta over that with "Custom Install" freezes/crashes the installer. i can't have this if i want to deploy it. Is this happening for deployments also, or just individual installs?

2. If i wanted to go wholesale over to OOo, i also have to adjust the open/save settings to default to Microsoft Office formats, silently. Is there any kind of way to include those settings with the OOo installation process? i want to make it as invisible as possible as we migrate people away from MSOffice to OOo, retaining the use of MSOffice formats. i know, not ideal, but 100% of our business files are in MS format, as well as all our files shared with outside parties.

Yeah. i have gotten a lot of information and hope from this thread so far, now knowing i can attempt the deployment using Active Directory. But unless i can make the loading and saving of documents as invisible as possible without having to visit each machine and set those settings, i don't know if it's going to be possible. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andyccn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other way to deploy OOo if it's an MSI format is to add a logon script on your domain controller. Then either tell each user account in Active Directory to run the logon script the next time they logon, or if you can run a global login script (don't know if this is possible in AD.)

If you don't know how to do this, it's out of scope of this forum, but if you run msiexec in your Start > Run it will give you options to show you how to run a silent install of an MSI package.

This would need testing on 1 or 2 user accounts before deploying to your whole network.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thookerov
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i see how that would work, and it's an option i will look into.

However, the program settings i'm indicating are post-installation. Once you have OOo installed, you run the program and set your options, which includes how OOo behaves with MS Office files. Specifically, Tools > Options > Load/Save > General, and Microsft Office.

Is there a way i can get those options set automatically / silently? Where are these settings stored? A config file of some type, or registry?

If there's any way that can be done, the hard part will be taken care of.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andyccn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All OOo config data (as far as I'm aware) is stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user" where <USERNAME> is either the user logon ID, or "All Users" - I would imagine if you installed OOo and selected "install for all users" your config would be system-wide.

I would imagine simply copying the contents of this directory to another machine would restore the same settings to that machine. However it would mean users on the same machine couldn't use their own individual settings.

Therefore you could install OOo on your domain controller for all users, configure your MSOffice/appearance settings etc, then zip the ApplicationData\OpenOffice.org2\user directory using Winzip to an EXE, then deploy this EXE to your network which would restore the OOo config data to the correct place on each local PC. (Note: OOo would have to have been deployed first.)

I could look further into doing this on my test bed if you need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andyccn
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I may have looked at this wrong.

The settings in C:\Documents and Settings.... look only to be saved when user's change the default settings.

There's an identical directory structure in "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 1.9.125\share" which looks to be more like what you need.

Therefore when you set this up on your DC and configure it, zip this folder (C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 1.9.125\share) and deploy after installing OOo to change the settings.

I believe anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: