OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

soffice.bin memory usage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjoman
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: soffice.bin memory usage Reply with quote

I have noticed that soffice.bin is using well over 40K of my computer memory when I check processes in Task Manager

it is usually the process using by far ( typically by a factor of over x10) the most memory and that is when I have no Open Office application running!

if I exit the quick starter this process disappears, but it is back after running an Open Office app

I have been checking Task Manager because my computer is steadily slowing up and my little knowledge of how computers run tells me that processes using memory can create bottlenecks and slow things down

surely this amount of memory usage when no Open Office app is being used is rather extravagent and not necessary?
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: soffice.bin memory usage Reply with quote

banjoman wrote:
I have noticed that soffice.bin is using well over 40K of my computer memory when I check processes in Task Manager

I wish! 40k is small. Do you mean 40,000k (40m)? On my system is currently 68,000k.

banjoman wrote:

it is usually the process using by far ( typically by a factor of over x10) the most memory and that is when I have no Open Office application running!

if I exit the quick starter this process disappears, but it is back after running an Open Office app

I have been checking Task Manager because my computer is steadily slowing up and my little knowledge of how computers run tells me that processes using memory can create bottlenecks and slow things down

surely this amount of memory usage when no Open Office app is being used is rather extravagent and not necessary?

OpenOffice.org 1 uses a lot of memory. In version 2, performance improvments are a priority. Version 2 is in beta and the final is due April/May.
banjoman
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running ver2 beta, which I think is a really good set of progs, my question is to do with the memory use of the soffice.bin

I mean 40,000K, please excuse my lack of technical knowledge

on my system this compares with about 20,000 for other applications such as Firefox and MS word when they are running

I don't really know if 40,000 is a lot or not, but it is the highest use of memory in my system, and that is when no Open Office app is actually running
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soffice.bin is OpenOffice.org, and 40,000k is a rather large amount.

When OpenOffice.org does not appear to be written, its quickstart still is running by default on Windows systems. You can see it as a blue/white icon in the system tray next to the clock.

The quick start system is designed to make OOo load quicker by loading some parts preemptively.

You can turn off the quick start by right clicking on the quick start icon. You have the choice of removing it just for now (exit) or forever ("load... during start up").
rhimbo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: soffice.bin and soffice.exe taking large amouns of cpu Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had the same problems. I'm on Windows 2000, using soffice 1.9.125. I see 2 (yes, TWO) soffice.exe processes in TaskManager, and one soffice.bin process.

Upon system startup, my disk is going crazy, chattering so hard I think it's going to come off its mounts. My cpu utilization is anywhere from 30% to 65%. soffice is NOT open, I am not doing anything with it.

Eventually, the disk quiets down and cpu utilization goes back down to 1% (when I'm doing nothing else -- no other applications running). But I still see 2 soffice.exe processes and the single soffice.bin process.

The steady state (after the disk activity subsides) shows the following in TaskManager:

Code:

Image Name                Mem Usage
----------                ---------
soffice.exe               33,988K
soffice.bin               14,804K
soffice.exe                2,116K
TomD22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have version two, and the memory usage has not been improved as someone above said. I signed up up to this forum just now to try to find out why on earth open office is using such an astonishing amount of my RAM.

soffice.bin is using very nearly 50mb of my RAM, even when i have no OO programs actually running. This is all just for a quickstarter! (which is pathetic anyway, the OO programs take much longer than their MS counterparts to open). So i thought there must be a problem with mine, a bug of some sort. But it seems from reading this thead that it's supposed to consume this much resources.

It is, as someone above said, by far the biggest resources drain on my computer until i do something like open loads of IE windows, or play a game or something. And this is just for the quickstarter of a word processor.

Well, rant over. It's free, so i'm hardly in a position to complain. Oh well.
taylormc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 50MB of your RAM, I wonder what figure you're looking at?
In Windows Task Manager, the amount of *physical* RAM used is given by the "Mem Usage" column. The "VM size" column (which is where *I* see a figure of about 50MB) describes the amount of *virtual* memory used by the process - most of this is paged out onto disk at any given moment. My "Mem Usage" figure for the process is under 7MB when idle.
Add up all the figures in the "VM Size" column, and you'll probably end up with a figure greater than the total amount of RAM in your PC.

Edited to add:
The above is a little misleading, but doesn't detract from my main point. The 50MB figure is actually for "private bytes", which is the amount of virtual memory (not real memory) owned by the process and which is not sharable with other processes (e.g. DLLs would be sharable). The actual total virtual size of soffice.bin is nearer 300MB. but most of this is sharable.
agira

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am programmer then i ok with technical knowledge, memory for me not problem, in my any working PC is 4GB RAM and 2Ghz Intel Dual Core CPU's...

When Open Office not runned, but after some work with OO Database i get my PC slowdown, what is serious, Windows Vista Resource Monitor shows then started process:

soffice.bin , it run 18 threads! and averange cpu usage of this process all the time is 48,90%! <<< When OpenOffice not runned!

Then memory usage at present moment is 72MB.
mariquiqui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have this problem too. Even if Open office is closed, or hace not been opened, soffice is open and take a lot of memory. What can I do with it?`

Thanks
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariquiqui wrote:
Hi,

I have this problem too. Even if Open office is closed, or hace not been opened, soffice is open and take a lot of memory. What can I do with it?`

Thanks
If it's really a problem, install more memory or turn off the Quickstarter.
drano
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there must be some problem with soffice.bin -- After I have my computer on for a day or two - which means I have inevitably used OOo quite a bit - eventually I get to a point where no more apps will start, no more files will open and Windows will not shut down normally. I have to do a hard restart. If I try to shut down normally and wait long enough I get a message that soffice.bin is not shutting down - and an option to keep waiting or End Now. Even if I select End Now, Windows might not completely shut down without the hard shutdown/restart. After I restart everything is OK for a day or so, and then it clogs up again with these same symptoms. I DO NOT use OOo QuickStart. It does not come up in my system tray. But I still have this chronic problem.
nobodie0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: slow, very slow, dog slow Reply with quote

I am running 3.2.1 in Fedora 13 with 2GB of Ram. Most other programs, even those with deep pockets like virtual box, run very quickly and without noticeable latency. OOo however is incredibly, remarkably shamefully slow. It is not CPU use (i am checking that in a widget) and it is not RAM use (also checking in widget).

I would be happy to help in testing if it would help, it is not crashing which would trigger ABRT (bug reporting) automatically but I wish it would so I could just crash and move on. But when it takes 5-15 seconds for the program to respond top a mouse click then there is a serious problem.

Solution problem
desmond.q

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: soffice.bin Reply with quote

I have this problem too, it seems to have got worse recently. The disc chatters away for at least half an hour and then goes quiet. There are no applications running, but under processes soffice.bin shows. I have removed OOo from the start up list.

I wonder if the new Beta version is better?
pietpetoors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: soffice Reply with quote

I use Open Office 3.2.1 on Vista
Sometimes when I want to open Open Office it does not react to the mouse click. When i go to task manager and end the soffice.bin process and then try again, then it opens.
Beardandsandals

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usage by soffice on my computer is 65,056 k, when Open Office is not working. Is this a record? Had the virtual memory usage warning today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: