OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Quickstart selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbh
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Quickstart selection Reply with quote

In my older version of OO when I right clicked on the quick start button it would give me options to open the different applications. I would usually open up my calc docs through the open folder that was available. It seems as if in the new version this is not available any longer. It just has the option to exit quick start and a check to whether I want it to open upon staring up. Is this a change or is there something wrong on my end?
RBH
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a VERY unpopular change:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=30853

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=17787&highlight=quickstarter

BFN,
solibar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Okay, I am a noob to this forum although I have now been using OOo for about the past year. So I was excited when OOo 2.0 Beta came out and I downloaded it.

I have not been very pleased with the whole quickstarter change so I decided to register for this forum and put in my two cents.

If "fixing" the QS is not a viable option then perhaps the following might be some feasible alternatives?

1. add functionality to the right-click menus on the desktop in windows? is there a way that "open document" could be executed by integrating it (somehow?) with the UI of the windows desktop?

2. create a default menu option when right-clicking a file/document (or the option of such a menu) for opening the document with one of the OOo components? (I think Winzip does more than a few things like this)

3. I have noticed that MS places MSoffice links prominently in the start menu so that you do not have to descend into the "programs" to open/create an office document. Other programs have also "installed" themselves here, such as Winzip .. why not OOo?

4. could the "open document" feature be linked to a small .exe file so that a launcher could be created and then put into a toolbar such as the Quicklaunch toolbar? users could have the option of creating a shortcut for this at install if they chose

5. why not just put QS back the way it was? it seems to be the way of popular opinion. it seems like the only reason it was changed was because of a MS "specification" and we all know how good they are at following those Sad
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what will replace most of the QS functionality. Because both those options speed up access greatly I very rarely use the QS although I can see why many will miss it..

Windows: Create desktop links to your most-often used templates and drag them to the quick-launch toolbar. Executing specific templates becomes a single-click process.

Linux (assumingKDE): You can put quick-browser applets on the toolbar to any directories you choose. The 2 I have is my OOo templates and the windows/my documents folder. Executing templates and documents is then a single click and slide.

Hope this helps

Ian
solibar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liquidator wrote:

Windows: Create desktop links to your most-often used templates and drag them to the quick-launch toolbar. Executing specific templates becomes a single-click process.

Ian

Is there a way to create a toolbar shortcut for "open document"? That is the feature from the Quickstarter that I use the most frequently.
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just have a link to your home directory on your desktop and open it in a file manager so that you can browse for a file to open.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...

On Fri Mar 18 2005 - OOo - Issue 30853 wrote:
After some investigations it was decided to follow the community here: here we go...

The menu is the same as in OOo1.x, additionally "new database" has been added.
Please have a look into the specification

http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/menus/desktop_menu_integration.sxw

There you can find a screenshot of the menu.

Here's the screenshot:

BFN Very Happy,
rbh
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This document was a little confusing to me. Is it saying that in the next version the will return this option and the screenshot that was shown is what it will be like?
RBH
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile

For the whole story it's best to read http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=30853
rbh
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That great thank you.
RBH
Very Happy
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbh wrote:
This document was a little confusing to me. Is it saying that in the next version the will return this option and the screenshot that was shown is what it will be like?
RBH

I have been trying a build of 680_m89 and the restoration of the Quickstarter menu as shown in the screenshot is in 680_m89 (I didn't appear to be in the build of 680_m88 I was having a look at) and there have been some other changes in appearance including a folder icon that fits in more with the other folder icons in the Start Menu - generally looks tidier although it's still cranky but a lot faster than earlier versions.
rbh
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a new to all this so I don't really understand what you wrote but if its what I think it is great!
RBH
Michael A. Kearsley
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbh wrote:
I'm still a new to all this so I don't really understand what you wrote but if its what I think it is great!
RBH

If you want to have a look at it there is a built copy here (bear in mind that it isn't even a snapshot): ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/680/SRC680_m89/Build-0/ (It includes both Linux and Windows versions in various languages).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: