OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Can't put text in a text box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveC
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Can't put text in a text box Reply with quote

I have come across a problem this morning that I cannot find a resolution to:

First, I imported an existing spreadsheet originally done in Excel, and went to change the contents of a text box. No dice - clicking, double-clicking, right-clicking all failed to give me access to the actual text itself. I could move it around, fill it with colour, change the border, but could not touch the text itself.

Then I figured there was just some compatibility issue, so I deleted the text box and redrew it using OOo. Exactly the same problem - except now of course I can't type text into the box.

What is going on? What am I missing?

This is a function I use all the time, and if it doesn't work properly it looks like I am stuck with MSO for a while longer.

Can anyone help - it shouldn't be this hard.

TIA,

Check out my band's stuff @ www.soundclick.com/thereign
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An issue was filed at openoffice.org concerning entering text in text boxes in Writer.

The problem was that when you create it you just cannot figure out how to enter text in the box. Now matter how much you click it, and how, nothing happens.

In Word the cursor is actived in the box immidiately after you create it. In Writer you must press enter on the keyboard! Whyyy? Why should anyone press enter when they see no cursor? The OOo programmers are indeed no frontrunners regarding usability. This is like working with DOS programs from 1990!

Another solution is to deativate the object and click on it again.

Well, this was a story about a problem I learned about, don't know if it has anything to do with yours! Smile
dfrench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a distinction to be made between a TextBox which is a form control used for input/display of data linked to a source and a Rectangle which is a drawing object.

You create a TextBox by editing a form (design mode on) and if you rightclick on it or use the navigator you are able to see the control and form properties. You will notice that the control properties include background colour but no text-like property. If you toggle design mode off the box will be available as a data entry field (if it is enabled) and you will be able to type into it.

The rectangle does have a text property and you can select it and type into it but it is a static object.

I do not think that the excel control behaviour is the same as OOo so importing an EXCEL sheet with a textbox on it is unlikely to operate in the same way (or at all in OOo) ... you need to attach events(macro code) to the data controls
DaveC
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see the problem now ... the text box in OOo is essentially a different animal from the Text Box in MSOffice. I will have to go see about learning the finer points of OOo.

As a workaround, I found that the "Text" tool under the drawing options actually does the job just as well as MSO's Text Box function, so I may well just use that in the meantime.

Thanks for the clarifications guys,

Very Happy

Check out my band's stuff @ www.soundclick.com/thereign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: