OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How do I create a MLA style header?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwitset

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: How do I create a MLA style header? Reply with quote

I want my last name to appear at the top right corner of each page, along with the page number. My problem is that when I turn the header on, whatever I type in for one pages header appears on every other page. Is there any way to change the settings so that I can have a different header on each page?

Im currently working on a pursuasive paper for college, and I had to turn in my preliminary draft with hand-written headers Embarassed. I would understandably like my final paper to look a little neater. Thanks in advance for any help you might have. Smile
kamal
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, the problem is that you are typing the page number into the header. What you want to do is insert the page number field into the header. Here's how you do it:

1. In the header, type in your name wherever you want it to appear. As you indicate, MLA style has it on the right next to the page number.

2. After typing in your name, click on Insert>Fields>Page Numbers. You will now have the correct page number for each page automatically inserted into the header.

If you want to access this function even more easily, you can customize a toolbar with an Insert Page Number button--just right-click on the toolbar and choose "Customize," then under "Functions" (menu to the left in the dialog box) scroll down to the category "Insert." In the menu to the right scroll down to "Insert Page Number." It will highlight the Insert Page Number icon, which you can then drag to the toolbar of your choice.

Good luck with your paper...I wrote my senior thesis in OpenOffice.org and amazed my professor when I told him it wasn't done in Word. Glad to see others are doing the same! Very Happy
Kwitset

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked. Thanks for the help. Very Happy
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mentioning this the only place where I found a post about MLA styles:

Take a look at this Open Source program:

http://mlagen.sourceforge.net/

"MLA Auto-Generator is an incredible piece of free software that allows you to quickly and effortlessly format your documents' works cited lists in complete accordance with the latest MLA or APA style guidelines. MLA Auto-Generator will automatically churn out a perfect bibliography entry, every time.

If you've ever used MLA style in your essays, term papers, theses, or PhD dissertations, you know how long it takes to achieve the precise format. Countless hours wasted in looking up the correct scheme of arranging works cited entries or underlining and italicizing text can now be utilized enhancing your paper. The extra time you could've earned can go to proofing, adding additional insight, or simply relaxation."
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. only it doesnt work in linux Sad
Deleted spam links - floris v, moderator

Last edited by gizmo on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:
Interesting. only it doesnt work in linux Sad

Try Bibus http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/ . It is a complete biblographic package. I think you would have to create your own formats to begin with but one done they are there for any paper and it does normal citations in the text for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: