OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Feature request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkengel
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Feature request Reply with quote

I really liked the Microsoft Binder software to group related files. MS abandoned it.

I would really appreciate an addition to OOo which could do this, a kind of "file-folder" where I could add many types of files, notes, links etc. which could be easily distributed.

I guess such a feature would increase the OOo popularity.

Cheers
Michael
9point9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the whole point of directories?

If you want to keep all of the files for a project linked together in some form then use an HTML index that links to every file within it. Last year I wrote a VBA macro at work that automated production of an html index for a user specified directory. The same could certainly be done in OOo so that an HTML index could be automatically produced, including item numbers, file names, dates, authors etc.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The binder is a real cool way to group related files; guess that people asked for something like that once but that the feature never gained much audience. It is not installed in MS Office 2002 by default.

I have several text editors that can make projects, displaying all the files that is related to a particular project, for example a programming task. I find it much easier to use than to group files in a directory, something that is not always possible or wise.
mkengel
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I have several text editors that can make projects, displaying all the files that is related to a particular project, for example a programming task. I find it much easier to use than to group files in a directory, something that is not always possible or wise.
-----------------

How does that work ?
I am not fixed on a binder-style program - I would just like something like you describe.
With the possibility to forward it easily.
Thanks
Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A project file is just a file with links (the file paths really) to the files related to the project, but it is not anything that can be used with OpenOffice, just the editor itself.

Microsoft Binder is a little more advanced.
coldwinston
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Binder in OpenOffice Reply with quote

I used to use Binder, found it a useful tool at times but it never seemed quite complete. I guess it was not widely used because it was not a default Office install so not many people even knew about it, and because not many people used it Microsoft did not spend much time on it...

A utility for OpenOffice that functioned like Binder would be even better than the Microsoft version in my opinion, as OpenOffice supports more formats and is better integrated anyway. If it could support the following features:

- Global header and footer information for all documents (Overrides doc-specific ones)
- Global page numbering
- Global contents, bibliography, and/or appendix (updates as docs are added/removed)

I think it would give OpenOffice another edge over Microsoft Office, just as the formatting tools, etc, have already. Imagine writing documentation for a project - spreadsheets in Calc, designs in Draw, and not having to either embed everything in Writer, or adjust the page numbering and contents each time!

Perhaps one day when I have better knowledge of OOo, and if someone hasn't already got there first, I might take a crack at this...
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a really good idea, and would suggest you make an enhancement request in Issuezilla, the formal reporting method.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: