OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Broken pathway when saving files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trio3b
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Broken pathway when saving files Reply with quote

Think I broke something.......the only thing I changed recently was "looknfeel" in KDE.

at random, 2 problems:

1. when saving OO writer (text files), error message "nonexistent object" and "pathway does not exist". no matter what I do I cannot save the file.

2. Just closing an existing document changes the file extension and some files are being automatically closed as some sort of zip files that I can't open and others are being closed as PDF files that are mixed with other files, that is, the text from two completely different files is being displayed on the same page.

Yes I am being careful about the "save as" boxes, but I don't even save as, I just open a file, look at it then close.

What got broken?
Thanks for any help
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is just with OOo or also with other applications? If only with OOo, then you broke OOo... try to do a "repair" of your installation (in the main program folder, run the "setup" and then select repair)
Trio3b
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: broken paths Reply with quote

Seems to be only OO. Where is repair? Which main folder?
Am using Mandrake 10.0. Cannot find repair in help files or on main menu.

Also, can I try to repair the broken pathway before I try to repair the whole installation?
Thanks
joerg04
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine (Debian) files can be found under:
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/setup
What about a simple search?
If you can't find yours wait for an answer of 9point9, cwchia or RGB(?, not sure if he still uses it) (or write them a PM), they also use Mandrake and maybe know it. A repair shouldn't cause to much trouble.
You should also do a quick search in some Mandrake forums, maybe it's a general problem.

RKWard: http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
sidux: http://sidux.com/index.html
Musix: http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last contact with mandrake was in version 8, and using StarOffice 5.2... Now I'm using SuSE 9.2 with a user install of OOo in my home directory, so I have no idea of where you can look. Try searching with kfind something like OpenOffice.org* (yes, with the asterisk). Inside that folder, you can find the setup utility.
Good luck
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joerg04 wrote:
Mine (Debian) files can be found under:
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/setup
What about a simple search?
If you can't find yours wait for an answer of 9point9, cwchia or RGB(?, not sure if he still uses it) (or write them a PM), they also use Mandrake and maybe know it. A repair shouldn't cause to much trouble.
You should also do a quick search in some Mandrake forums, maybe it's a general problem.

I always force it to install at /opt/OpenOffice.org and then intall in the user home under ~/Program/OpenOffice.org so am not sure if it is the default path. However the 2.0 always install at /opt/openoffice.org1.9.xx.

Try use whereis to locate spadmin and the setup script should be in the same path.

Good luck and have fun with OOo.

Edited:

N/B I am using the install files/rpm from OOo. MDK's own package is alwasy behind time Confused and occasionally causing trouble too.
Trio3b
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Uh Oh Reply with quote

Think I had a file with one of the disallowed characters. Usually in word it will warn you about this specifically.
Will post again if this is not the problem
Thanks for the tips
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Uh Oh Reply with quote

Trio3b wrote:
Think I had a file with one of the disallowed characters. Usually in word it will warn you about this specifically.
Will post again if this is not the problem

If that is the case could you please file a bug report with OOo main site? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: