OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

File Sharing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baggins2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: File Sharing Reply with quote

We have tried OO in our office about a year ago and ran into a problem with file sharing. We have 3 or 4 excel files which multiple people need to access at a time and ran into a problem when using OO. People were getting locked out and couldn't open files unless the OO user closed it. Is this a problem with our setup of OO or is it a problem or limitation that still exists?
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something of the opposite seems to be reported at:

www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=15939&highlight=

Don't know if any of the references there are of any use to you.
baggins2000

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
After reading this I get the impression that it is dependent on the client OS.
It just so happens that this weekend I was showing one of our users how to install OO on their computer at home on one of our general use computers. I forgot to reset the defaults and sure enough yesterday I get a call that one of our multi use files is locked up and they couldn't edit it. I immediately went to the computer where I had installed OO and found that they had the file open there in OO and closed it and reopened it in Excel. Called back to the manufacturing area and asked them if everything was okay and they reported that they could once again edit the file.
All of the clients involved were W2K OS and the server is a linux Samba file server.
Until I find a solution to this it will be impossible for us to adopt OO for company use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: