OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is there a Seq Field equivalent in OO?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaacovg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Is there a Seq Field equivalent in OO? Reply with quote

I have been evaluating OO for my office and can’t seem to find the flexibility in formatting the numbers in numbered steps that I have in Word using Seq fields. I tried using Inser > Field > Other > Number range, but I find I have to change the value manually for each step number.

Any solutions would be appreciated

Yaacovg
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Word so I'm not sure what “Seq fields” do but I suspect OO can automatically handle your numbering needs. Take a look at Format > Numbering/Bullets and Tool > Outline Numbering, both are quite flexible. Get back with any questions.

If that doesn't look like what you want then please give an example of how you want your numbering to look. To show indents, etc. like the following surround your text with the Code icons (it appears to require 2 spaces for each indent).

Code:

ftack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SEQ field in Word is primarily intended for the automatic numbering of figures, tables, or whatever. In Writer, these are inserted with Insert Fields Other (or Ctrl F2, that is, if Linux KDE doen take that key away for other purposes Wink ), Variables tab, number range. Under "Selection" there are already some sequences "factory defined", but if you type another name under Name, e.g. Equation, you can start a new series. Formats are selected under "Format ", and you can number per chapter or per section or even finer by selecting the appropriate outline level under "Level". Works quite different than under Word, but once you got it, it works nicely and elegantly, at least in my opinion.

Actually, from your post I am not sure what exactly you want to achieve. If it is to make some kind of itemized lists, then you should take a look at Format Numbering/Bullets which can be tweaked to a great extent and which you can consolidate in a numbering style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: