OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

The OOo Writer Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nostabo
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: The OOo Writer Guide Reply with quote

Hello Writer users,

The OOoAuthors project of OpenOffice.org is working on the User Guide for OOo version 2. We need input, technical assistance, editorial reviews and just plain grammar and spelling checks from Writer users like you. All of the OOo components, such as Calc, Draw, Base and Impress are being documented so if you have an preference for one of them we have work for you, too. You do not need to be an OOo poweruser to help out!

Please see this thread for more information, OOoAuthors is looking for volunteers.

See the Calc tutorials and other OpenOffice.org resources at:
http://www.nostabo.net/openoffice.php
Weatherlawyer
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thanks to all concerned with this programme.

Well done all.
jeanweber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second edition of the Writer Guide (produced by the OOoAuthors team) was published in late August 2006. It still lacks an index, and is incomplete (doesn't cover everything), but it is otherwise up to date (we hope!) with OOo2.0.2.

Keeping this book and our other books up to date with new features and changes to existing features is a big task. We always need more volunteers to help out. One way anyone can help is to review chapters against the latest software, and point out things that need to be added or changed.
jeanweber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Third edition published Reply with quote

I'm a bit late in mentioning here that the Third Edition of the Writer Guide was published in February 2007. Up to date with OOo2.1 and in some cases 2.2.

Help is always needed to keep this book up to date.
amfpg

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i know how you build pdf from this guide, i mean you can make bookmark with it

how to do it?

sory if i can help about book, but i really thanks for book guide and just want to know how make the template & pdf like this guide

thanks
Detroit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amfpg wrote:
may i know how you build pdf from this guide, i mean you can make bookmark with it

how to do it?

sory if i can help about book, but i really thanks for book guide and just want to know how make the template & pdf like this guide

thanks

You set the bookmark options in the PDF Options dialog box (File > Export as PDF...).
akash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: All of the OOo components Reply with quote

We need input, technical assistance, editorial reviews and just plain grammar and spelling checks from Writer users like you. All of the OOo components, such as Calc, Draw, Base and Impress are being documented so if you have an preference for one of them we have work for you, too. You do not need to be an OOo poweruser to help out!

Moderation probe1: disabled signatur with SPAM link
pjwalkerpj
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Appalling English Reply with quote

Over the last year or so I have strived to be able to use Office in a reasonably efficient manner. To do this I sought information from both the manuals and the Forum. I found an extremely wide diversity in the quality of information available, particularly in Base. It is very sad that people who have an indoubted expertise in their particular area of interest seek to answer questions in appalling English. The extra time and frustration incurred to try and figure out what is trying to be conveyed is enormous. Then on the other hand there are people like Drew Jensen who have a knack of being able to simplify a problem, provide examples and screen shots of solutions. His tutorial material is a major source of clear learning in the Base arena.
I would like to volunteer to assist in any of the areas of writing manuals to check spelling and English grammar.
I would also like to strongly urge those with Office Expertise but with limited English expertise to try and attain an English level of IELTS level 7. Their expertise could then be much easier to understand for a much wider audience.

Peter J Walker
Practising Professional Engineer
Melbourne, Australia
BobKnepper
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: How help? Reply with quote

How do I find out about helping on the OO Guide or Manual? What is happening?

Till a year ago I was a happy and efficient user of WordStar and dBase in DOS. Then got a new computer and am slowly learning OO Writer and, just starting, Base. Till I retired 20 years ago I did a lot of technical (electrical engineering and systems) writing and editing plus a little programming. Time is limited by many projects and the learning curve but will try.

Bob - from Anaheim, Calif.
aaronchall
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we're just getting 3.2, is there an up-to-date documentation of Writer's processes?
mizzfail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few sites that Guild for openoffice. It is the site I collected on google. Hopefully this will help for you. I think any questions will be solved with the following information:
Guild openoffice for Linux:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/office_guides/openoffice_writer_user_guide/index.html
Guild openoffice for WinXP:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/240040/OpenOffice-Writer-Guide:
Or:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/
Thanks All!

Moderation probe1: deleted SPAM links
ErikJon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends,

For future editions of the Writer Manual, I would suggest using one large fictitious document throughout, as a visual aid and example, to illustrate each point explained. It could be a book with an index, a table of contents, footnotes, embedded outlines, imported illustrations, page breaks, html links, cross-references, styles, etc., in order to demonstrate how Writer can be used from setup to publication, to address every possible need in the preparation of the book, and to show at which point along the way each aspect should be prepared, to avoid problems later on in the development of the document, for example. Perhaps an already-published classic reference book from the public domain would serve as a good example, provided it met these requirements mentioned above, and could be re-set from scratch, as if a new publication.
peterthomas
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as there is a ruler in MS word, do we have one such in OO Word? Mine is missing, is there any way to bring that back?
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterthomas wrote:
Just as there is a ruler in MS word, do we have one such in OO Word? Mine is missing, is there any way to bring that back?

This is an inappropriate thread for such a question.

Help > 'ruler' will supply the answer you need.
smithucon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

thank you so much to all the help
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: