OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Recurring CRASH OOo will no longer start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgustinCordoba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Recurring CRASH OOo will no longer start Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Been using an older version of OOo under Debian Sarge Linux (OOo_1.1.3) but had minor compatibility problems so decided to install Beta version. Used synaptic after adding to sources.list, installation went well. No shortcuts for starting it, but I searched through till I found /opt/openoffice.org1.9.104.1/program/soffice which runs (ran) the application, albeit with a certain startup delay. All was well, but I decided to act rashly and used the font-install feature. From next startup on I always get an OOo crash message but cannot get the program to start. Ifthis was caused by my fiddling with the fonts, does anyone know of a way to rollback or otherwise repair. I am not without OOo, as 1.1.3 is still installed, but I have seen Beta work and, man, it IS GOOD!

Also, is there a way I can post here a screenshot of the message window shown?

Thanks in advance,

Agustin

[/img]
(oh, nearly forgot, XP-Proand W98)
AgustinCordoba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Recurring CRASH OOo will no longer start Reply with quote

AgustinCordoba wrote:
Hi folks,
Been using an older version of OOo under Debian Sarge Linux (OOo_1.1.3) but had minor compatibility problems so decided to install Beta version. Used synaptic after adding to sources.list, installation went well. No shortcuts for starting it, but I searched through till I found /opt/openoffice.org1.9.104.1/program/soffice which runs (ran) the application, albeit with a certain startup delay. All was well, but I decided to act rashly and used the font-install feature. From next startup on I always get an OOo crash message but cannot get the program to start. Ifthis was caused by my fiddling with the fonts, does anyone know of a way to rollback or otherwise repair. I am not without OOo, as 1.1.3 is still installed, but I have seen Beta work and, man, it IS GOOD!

Thanks in advance,

Agustin

[/img]

Update on this: I am able to run openoffice.org1.9.104.1 as root, no problem there, but crash continues on program startup as normal user
AgustinCordoba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Recurring CRASH OOo will no longer start Reply with quote

AgustinCordoba wrote:
AgustinCordoba wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,

Agustin

[/img]

Update on this: I am able to run openoffice.org1.9.104.1 as root, no problem there, but crash continues on program startup as normal user

OK, no eggs broken! Problem is solved. I went to my home folder and deleted the entire contents of /home/myusername/.openoffice.org1.9.104.1/user/fonts, on next program start the complete error report send prompt appeared, and problem did not re-appear. It still takes long to load, though.

Agustin
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What prompted you to deleta that folder?

BTW you must be having a damn big hard disk, or elase how are you going to sqeeze 2 Winbloats into it Razz
AgustinCordoba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwchia wrote:
What prompted you to deleta that folder?

BTW you must be having a damn big hard disk, or elase how are you going to sqeeze 2 Winbloats into it Razz

Smile Yes, well the deletion of that folder was a bit a consequence of managing to run OOo as root. I realised that the fonts I had installed from the web using the font-install utility on OOo must have been put in an openoffice local settings folder in my home folder. Under Linux by default all of these folders (such as .openoffice.org1.9.104.1) are hidden or backup files, but the moment made them visible, discovered the fonts folder and compared it with what I found on root, from there it was clear what I had to do, though not why it had happened. I'm still not sure what to do to have more fonts, but I'll browse this forum to find out.

Re: Hard-drive space, I am aynthing but minimalist, and over the years I tend to accumulate and hoard. This has led me to the current situation where I have:

hda1 (80 Gb) = Windows XP Pro on NTFS
hdb1 (58 Gb) = Windows XP Pro on FAT32
hdb2 (15 Gb) = Linux Debian Sarge on ext3
hde (8 Gb) = SimplyMepis Linux on ext3
hdh (18 Gb) = Linux Debian Sarge on ext3
and more... Smile

Basically what is hapening is that I am a firm believer in triple redundancy, if one system fails I'll fall back on another one, of one hard-drive misbehaves I'll set it right from other one, etc

Cheers,

Agustin
Comfortably_Numb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered setting up a RAID 1 array instead? It'll require far less maintenance. Shocked
AgustinCordoba
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfortably_Numb wrote:
Have you considered setting up a RAID 1 array instead? It'll require far less maintenance. Shocked

That's an interesting suggestion.How hard would that be? I don'tknow that much about it, but it seems to be about mirroring one HD in another.
What I should be doing before that is to try to share certain data folders amongst the different systems, rather than replicating them. This is already the case of Calypso mail, the where just one mailbox is shared by the main client program running through Wine under Linux and by the identical software running under XP etc. Music and other media folders are obviously shared already.

Thanks for the idea,

Agustin
Comfortably_Numb
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. A RAID 1 array will mirror the master drive across several additional slave drives thus ensuring there's redundency against such things as filesystem corruption. Sadly, though, RAID 1 will not help against accidental or deliberate file erasure.

If you buy a fully self-sufficient RAID controller (ie, one that DOESN'T rely on the OS and drivers) then it's just simply a case of connecting 2 (or more) hard disks to it. The mirroring is all done automatically.

I don't know if it meets your needs, exactly, but RAID can come in handy at times. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: