OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Printing Envelopes and Labels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian J Leach

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Printing Envelopes and Labels Reply with quote

Having had several crashes with Word I have reverted to OpenOffice after some months away, using Version 2 Beta.

I am very impressed with the program with one exception.

Is there any chance that in future versions the printing of envelopes can be made more like Word please.

I am able to print labels but envelopes completely defeat me.

Thanks.

Brian Leach
davec51
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am able to print labels but envelopes completely defeat me."
I can't master envelopes, either. With labels, I can do some things, but I can't figure out how to print, say, three labels with different addresses, beginning with the second label in the third row.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any discussion of printing envelopes is difficult because most of the problems revolve around the manner in which the envelope is feed into your particular printer.

My advice is to create an envelope in some manner (Insert > Envelope or with your own template, the latter being my preference but I started with the former and altered it to to fine tune the locations of the two address blocks.). With Insert > Envelope you want to make sure you give OO the correct setting on the Printer tab. “Print from top” means the printing appears on the side of the envelope facing you when it is feed into the printer – see below and adjust this setting accordingly.

Now you need to determine where that envelope is actually printing. To do so use a normal size piece of paper and put a pencil mark in one corner to use as a reference point and note its relative location when you feed it into the printer, e.g., facing you, on the right and on trailing edge of paper.

When you print the envelope you will learn whether it is printed on the front or back side of this sheet and where it prints relative to your reference mark. Working with this information you now make alterations to your envelope so it works with your particular type of envelope feeding.

You should expect to put reference marks on a lot of sheets and draw an outline of your envelope on them as well when you think you understand about where it should go. When you have gone to all this trouble you will understand why I created my own template to make sure my setting were not lost.

Hint – when a page is flipped to Landscape the right side of the page, on screen, prints on the leading edge of the paper in the printer, i.e., your addressee block will be closer to the leading edge than the return address block. That's at least true with my printer but it is also something you should take note of if it appears that your page orientation should be landscape. Mine is with a printer that feeds envelopes from the top, in the middle, with the short side being feed into the printer.
Brian J Leach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Printing Envelopes and Labels Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments.

As you say it does very much depend on your printer.

I have managed to get the printer feed and orientation set up but the address is far too low down (if viewed on the envelope) or too far to the right if viewed when entering the printer.

I have tried moving the prrinting up/to the left on the envelope but have not been successful.

I suppose I just need to persevere.
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envelope printing is a regular chestnut, and I am surprised that the developers are not more on top of it. There is a long history of problems, including the inadvertent swapping of x and y dimensions in the sofware at one point.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=17466
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=29924
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=17571
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=24237
are among the 68 isses filed for envelope printing problems.

I suspect that software developers do not use WP for writing letters, and so this has been drifting on for rather a long time.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobharvey wrote:
Envelope printing is a regular chestnut, and I am surprised that the developers are not more on top of it.

This is true with all office suites, which try to be all things to all people. It is also why there is some successful specialty software available for that purpose. It's a balancing act between having software you can "program" to suit your purpose [but sometimes only with considerable effort and knowledge], or buying ready-made. It's rather like my woodworking hobby. I do it for fun, but when I see that a project is onerous, I buy the furniture. But I don't sell my tools; they still serve a good purpose, and I get on with other things..

Now, as you say, when they have it prefected, that's another story.

No specific recommendations since my personal needs there are simple, and I use a simple but effective freeware program for individual envelopes. However. Google [print envelopes] brings up a ton of options. You don't have to be the mechanic to drive the car. I've also had success by simply changing margins in a regular 8.8x11 page, and typing merrily from there.

David.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Now you see part of the reason I choose to do my own template for my envelopes. Fine tuning the location of to two address blocks can be difficult, but it isn't impossible, using Insert > Envelope. What really made me do this was my desire to format the individual lines in the return address differently which is not possible with Insert > Envelope.

When you think about an envelope all you really have are two frames (borders turned off) located in the appropriate places on a piece of paper that needs to be oriented as either Portrait or Landscape depending on your printer. You should now know which orientation you need and the approximate location of the two frames.

This allows you to start with a new document of normal letter size, set the orientation and set the page margins all around to say a quarter inch. Now insert two frames about where you think they should go and then move them once you see where they print relative to the actual envelope. It is trial & error but you can get there from here.

My "final" solution to the envelope & letterhead issues consists of five templates. An envelope template, a single label template, a letterhead template, a letterhead template in which my envelope template is the first page and a letterhead template in which my single label template is the first page. This combination has served to handle whatever I need to do.
ptbenic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: envelopes again Reply with quote

Agree with other users that the envelope issue needs to be resolved. At present, it is not user-friendly -- and frankly, it needs to be in order to attract a larger audience. This print envelop operation is easy with MS Word and WordPerfect, and just about any other word processor ever created. How can OpenOffice Writer be so bad on this when it is so good on other, more complicated functions? This should be easy -- add the 'print' button to the dialogue box, and forget that confusing 'insert' button. Chrs, PTB
raven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also could not print envelopes; having a HP printer found the solution in the printer window: in the bottom left hand corner you see a button "supplement" or so (mine is in German and says "Zusätze"). Klick on it and in the opening window klick on "paper-shaft of printer setting" so that a tick shows. This did solve the problem for me - and I hope for others too.
Please do not blame me if you have tried this already and without success; i am just a humble user.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: