OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Complex printing from within a document

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginestre

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Complex printing from within a document Reply with quote

I'd love to know that this is possible, and that it can be done with OOo.
I write a lot of educational material, and it all follows the same pattern: stuff for the students to read and do, related stuff for the teachers which explains how they should use the student material, and an answer key. Each of these sections should have a style associated with it, and that sounds straightforward enough. But what I'd like to do is to write a master document, containing (let's say) 6 or 8 exercises, each students section followed by its related teacher section and key, because it's easier to write like that; and then to be able by magic to create 3 separate files which contain JUST the student stuff, JUST the teacher stuff and JUST the answer key. Any ideas how to go about this?

Thanks,

Richard
ftack

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo should certainly allow to do so using conditionally hidden sections. These sections would hide or display according to the setting of a variable. When you change the variable to for example "student" view, only the "student" sections would remain visible. Use the help system for details on how this works. This would work very nice if you can hand PDF files to your students, because otherwise they get the source including the hidden sections that they could reveal. I do not see a possibility to generate three separate OOo documents automatically from one single source document except usng macro's. Perhaps, but you would need to test this, you can display the doc the way you want, i.e., with sections appropriately hidden, then copy and paste all to a new doc. Likely, this would copy only the visible sections.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Complex printing from within a document Reply with quote

ginestre wrote:
I'd love to know that this is possible, and that it can be done with OOo.
I write a lot of educational material, and it all follows the same pattern: stuff for the students to read and do, related stuff for the teachers which explains how they should use the student material, and an answer key

Since a student exercise is not a tome, and word processors are used to write books, why can you not do all for one class in one document? Exercise 1 on page 1 [or more] followed by teacher comments, followed by answers, each on a separate page. Then Excercise 2 .... Print only selected pages, collected first in a PDF for each, exercise, comments, answers, if you wish. Judicious selection of which pages contain which material [multiples of 3 contain answers?] would make selection of pages for printing much simpler. [Keep a couple of copies in case of crashes.]

If you could indicate the subject taught there may be other means as well. Math can be done with the spreadsheet in mind, for example.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: