OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

italic does not work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iomari
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: italic does not work Reply with quote

I'm using Linux. I've been writting a book for the past two years and the major font I'm using is Tahoma. But for some reason, I can never see the italic on screen. There is no error. The toolbar shows that italic is active where I set it, but on screen it looks normal. What am I doing wrong?
probe1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If noticed it too, it seems that some font sets doesn't have an italic set. You can turn on italic setting in OOo, but it isn't reflected on screen.
Can't confirm it for Tahoma though: haven't it installed here.
Do other applications on your machine display it?
DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
iomari
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check. OO is the only app I really use tahoma with but I'll try koffice and see what happens.#However back in the days of darkness when I used to use windows, tahama had italics. When I imported my TTF into linux, I imported about 4 or 5 tahoma fonts. I could have sworn that one of them was italic but like I said, I'll check.
probe1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
I'm writing a lot in Comic Sans MS, which TTF file I copied from a windows box. This one has no italic under Linux, too...
DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
Joby Jobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Italics problem, too Reply with quote

I have Open Office on Linux, and can't use the italics, either. Selecting text works fine, and bold and underline both ok, but the italics function does not work with any font, or with selected text or new text. The italics button just plain doesn't work. The only way of making italics is by choosing one of the italics font styles. Is this the way it was meant to work, or is there a setting somewhere that has turned off the italics, or is there a bigger problem with my Open Office word processing?
ldm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: No Italics here either Reply with quote

Hi!

Just wanted to add my piece of info here. I run on Mac OS X, the latest stable of OOO (1.1.2). I use Times New Roman inside impress (which has italics) and the italics no longer show up. They used to appear in previous releases though. I'm positive that the italics font exist on the system.

If anyone has a clue about a potential solution, let me know!

Thanks.

---
Laurent
ccos2308

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probe1 wrote:
Smile
I'm writing a lot in Comic Sans MS, which TTF file I copied from a windows box. This one has no italic under Linux, too...

There is a wonderfull truetype font editor that allows you to create your own Comic italic font. Look at http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/
Editing comic and slanting it, then recording it as comic italic font works fine. You get a real ttf file, that you can install like others. I'm happy with that I made.
For tahoma and so on, the easier is to open another italic font, arial italic, and rename it inside fontforge to tahoma italic, than installing it.
Good luck. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: