OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Mail merge hell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkMagess
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Mail merge hell Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

I have a Calc file with 408 addresses. I open a writer doc, go to Mail merge, tell it to use my address file. Cancel out of mail merge. Go to New-> Label and make a sheet of labels using the Calc file as the data source. Now I have a sheet of labels with field names. If I print that, all I get are printed field names. So I go back to mail merge and have it run on the document I'm using.

It's been running for HALF AN HOUR. It's using 200MB of memory and it still isn't done! This should be 27 pages of labels. Why is it taking it so long to make this document? And why is it telling me that that it's making 408 documents!? It's making 408 labels, not documents.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press F4 to view the data source. Open the table and verify there are 408 records in the table in the data source view.

What happens sometimes is a person has a bunch of blank rows at the end of the spreadsheet.

Quote:
And why is it telling me that that it's making 408 documents!

If you click "Single print jobs," it will. This is off by default.[/i]
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of OO are you using?
DarkMagess
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:

2.0beta

I'm going to check what the previous poster suggested.
DarkMagess
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aziem wrote:
Press F4 to view the data source. Open the table and verify there are 408 records in the table in the data source view.

What happens sometimes is a person has a bunch of blank rows at the end of the spreadsheet.

Nope, there are only 408 records and they all have actual data.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkMagess wrote:
JohnV wrote:

2.0beta

This may be a bug you should file at the openoffice.org web site. Of course, beta versions are likely to have bugs.

Also take a look at the screen. When I am doing a mail merge on version 1.1.4, it says something like "record 3/254." How far does your get?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a fair amount of criticizm of the OOo 2 build's handling of mail merges (specifically including labels). As I understand it the program attempts to handle the merges in memory and with long merges will eventually run out of available memory.

My major complaint (in the SO8 beta test group) was that you could not select records in the F4 viewer and merge only these records.
DarkMagess
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
There has been a fair amount of criticizm of the OOo 2 build's handling of mail merges (specifically including labels). As I understand it the program attempts to handle the merges in memory and with long merges will eventually run out of available memory.

My major complaint (in the SO8 beta test group) was that you could not select records in the F4 viewer and merge only these records.

I've further discovered that either the automated Label process or the mail merge creates 1 blank page per page of labels. And these pages do not show up when you look at the doc in Writer. If I print from the mail merge page, it only prints the labels. If I print from the document it creates, it prints twice as many pages with blanks in between.
FIN-Man
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: I too have the merge labels problem Reply with quote

Hum. I don't feel quite so bad then: I am trying to populate a page of mailing labels from a base. I get the first row of the table I am using, then every other row.

'taint working. I so hoped this part would be, even though it was in beta.

(Big sigh.)

1.9.95 WinME
mosestruong
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Mail Merge 2 vs 1.1 Reply with quote

Yes, I feel the mail merge in version 1.1 is much better and more flexible... are there any way have the previous interface instead in version 2?
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail Merge 2 vs 1.1 Reply with quote

mosestruong wrote:
Yes, I feel the mail merge in version 1.1 is much better and more flexible... are there any way have the previous interface instead in version 2?

Not being facetious ...If there is no pressing need for any of version 2's other advantages, uninstall and reinstall the earlier version?

David.
mosestruong
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need - in v2.0, you can still use the Mail Merge from v1.1
All you need to do is go to <Tools->Customise>, in the <Menus> tab, select <Tools> from the dropdown menu, and highlight <Mail Merge Wizard>, and then click the [Add] button.

Select <Documents> in the Category list, and select <Mail Merge> in the Commands list, and click [Add] button, and then [Close]. and then [OK].

Now, you will be able to use the Mail Merge from OOv1.1 when you select <Tools->Mail Merge> instead of <Tools->Mail Merge Wizard>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: