OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Keyboard mapping for Telugu(or any Indic languages) in OO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagadeesh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Keyboard mapping for Telugu(or any Indic languages) in OO Reply with quote

Hi Friends ,could any body tell me how to enable the Key mapping for Telugu(any Indic Language) in OO writer. I've already Installed Telugu font Pothana2000 in my machine and rendering is not occured, i.e. it displays Telugu Text very well , but how to enable Telugu Key mapping Question in order to input Telugu
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. In my (limited) experience with using OOo with an Indic language, in my case Hindi, I have found the best solution is to use Baraha, an IME for many different Indic and Dravidian languages, including Telugu. It's free and well worth trying out.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Linux Indic input methods Reply with quote

The input method is largely related to the operating system.

The Hindi/Devanagari keyboard on Linux is without zero-width characters (ZWJ, ZWNJ) and my attempts to install David Holl's Inscript keyboard have so far failed. (Though I have successfully - I think- installed an Urdu one.)

The Gurmukhi keyboard seems to lack an addak.

Comments/information on the Linux situation welcome.
jagadeesh
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maxqnz , thanx for ur reply , but my requirement is not that , I want to work in Linux acc. to my project , but Baraha is for exclusively for windows ,anyway thanx for ur sugg. keep answering ,

cheers
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagadeesh wrote:
Hi maxqnz , thanx for ur reply , but my requirement is not that , I want to work in Linux acc. to my project , but Baraha is for exclusively for windows ,anyway thanx for ur sugg. keep answering ,
cheers

One of the things about Baraha is that the authors are particularly committed to promoting Dravidian languages, and have a forum on their site. Perhaps suggesting a LInux version to them might be worthwhile?

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
aravinda
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Telugu fonts for OO writer? Reply with quote

I need a Telugu font that will work for Open Office Writer. To be more precise my daughter needs this font. she is 2.8 yrs old and loves to read Telugu. She would love to write it as well ifit worked on Writer, a program with which she is quite familiar. Rolling Eyes

The problems she has been having with Baraha are - that she dos not get to see what she has written therefore it is pretty useless. She types in one window, the telugu of same appears in tiny font in the middle window until you move the cursor up to the tiny telugu icon and click that in order to see the Telugu output in the upper window, which I have set to a large font. Yet the process is too cumbersome for her to handle. if only it was as easy to type in Telugu as it is for her to type in English (using Unicode and ordinary keyboard) she could really make the most of her intense curousity and interest in Telugu language.

Any help appreciated. I do not own Microsoft Office but if someone knows of a good Telugu font that works EASILY with MS Word I can try to show someone what I am looking for to see if they can rig me up something similar for OO. In case I am the first person to come up with this problem Surprised

Aravinda
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at:

http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/telugu.html
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_windows.html#telugu
http://www.travelphrases.info/gallery/Fonts_Telugu.html
http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/telugu.html
aravinda
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: anyone actually used these fonts to type Telugu on OO Writer Reply with quote

thanks for the links. i went through them and downloaded and installed several fonts including Hemalata, Potana, Vemana, India Times, Baraha, and a few more.

HOWEVER not a single one is working for me. I try to type and neither can I figure out which key would make which letter nor do the letters appear in a legible way - they are all garbled, appearing on top of others, etc. Regarding Potana and Vemana, I dont get any Telugu on the screen at all when I select these, it just looks like some other Roman font. I can't believe this is what is supposed to happen. Either these fonts are not compatible with OO Writer or there is something I am supposed to do.

Is there ANYONE who is actually using a Telugu font with OO Writer and who can assure me that the font actually makes sense once you install it.

Every download takes me a long time (not to mention the fun of restarting after intalling). Plus there are many broken links on these pages so I think that they have not been updated recently. As far as I could tell none of them specified that these worked in OO.

HELP!!!

Aravinda
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: anyone actually used these fonts to type Telugu on OO Wr Reply with quote

aravinda wrote:
Regarding Potana and Vemana, I dont get any Telugu on the screen at all when I select these, it just looks like some other Roman font.

Have you activated the language bar and enabled Telugu input following the instructions at:

http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html#eastasia
http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html#languagebar

If you are using a Unicode font with an English keyboard mapping all you will get from keyboard input is Roman script (if the font includes Roman characters, as they usually do).

The output I get from the four rows of keys on the keyboard using OpenOffice on Linux/Gnome:

Blanks have small empty rectangles with Code 2000 and dotted circles with Pothana 2000. (Might they be special separators or joiners?)

Further reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Enabling_complex_text_support_for_Indic_scripts

Typing:

/(య) followed by r( ీ) does output యీ
aravinda
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: anyone actually used these fonts to type Telugu on OO Wr Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:

Have you activated the language bar and enabled Telugu input following the instructions at:

http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html#eastasia
http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/winkey.html#languagebar

I tried to follow these instructions but could not "click" on "langauge bar" because it was not clickable.

Robert Tucker wrote:
If you are using a Unicode font with an English keyboard mapping all you will get from keyboard input is Roman script (if the font includes Roman characters, as they usually do).

but this is not what is happening. i am getting random telugu letters that seem not to correlate at all with what i am punching on the keyboard.

I wish I knew even one person in real life who was actually using this and maybe I could call them on the phone to figure this out.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any Microsoft software at all so I can't really comment much further.

Perhaps it would be useful if you said which version of Windows you are using (97, 2000, XP etc).

In what sense is the language bar not clickable?

What output do you get if you try to type Telugu in Notepad, WordPad, Outlook Express (or whichever mail client you use) or in Internet Explorer (or whichever browser you use)? If it's the same as with OpenOffice then the fault is not likely to be with OpenOffice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: