OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Working with Microsoft Works WP and Corel WordPerfect files
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ychaddad
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have another problem converting old Word Perfect 5.2 Arabic files into MS Word or OOo. Since MS Word 97, the converter of Arabic Word Perfect files does not work. Only version 6 can convert these WP files with some acceptable success. As all the Arabic documents of the United Nations were in WP 5.2 until 1999 and even beyond, I was wondering whether OOo would have an adequate converter. The converter provided separately by Corel does not work well either. Arabic is not supported anymore in WP since version 6. I would really appreciate any possible solutions.
Regards,
Yasser
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

First, let me say that I have a huge amount of time for the UN, particularly UNESCO and UNICEF.

WP support is a ghetto in modern computing, and arabic script is another. Normally I resist ghettos but in this case you might be better searching http://ar.openoffice.org/ and asking on one of the development mailing lists. YOur question is not quite on-topic for them, but that is where the experts live.

The forums are user-to-user, and it sounds like you know more about all this than most of us already!
ychaddad
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Bobharvey, for your reply. I will seek help from the site you mentioned.
Regards,
Yasser
Bishop Damark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Working with Microsoft Works WP and Corel WordPerfect files Reply with quote

There is another way to accomplish the same task and you don't need to buy new software or download anything. This tip works best for MS Works Word Processor files that are simple in structure (such as resumes, cover letters, ...).

For Microsoft Works Word Processor Files (.wps extension), you may follow this procedure:

1) If you know that the file in question ends in .wps, then you may proceed to step 2.
If not, right-click on the start button and choose Explore and use Windows Explorer
to find the file and examine the extension (you want the extension to end in "wps").

2) Right-click on the file in the File Pane and choose "Open With...." and from the list scroll
down and select Wordpad (make sure the associate with checkbox is de-selected)

[Note: Wordpad is available in all OS's from 95 up to XP]

3) After the file is opened, the file contents will have some formatting as a header and
a footer, so copy everything in-between

[Note: your formatting will be gone, it'll just be text, but that should be minimal--you can
reformat easily, provided the file is simple in structure, as noted earlier]

4) Launch OpenOffice.org Writer and select "Paste"

5) Now reformat the document and you're done!
psaulm119
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With just the Word 2003 viewer (in XP), I was unable to view .wps files created with Works 6.0, on a computer running Windows ME. I went back to the ms site, and found this little utility, that allowed the 2003 Word viewer to read Works 6.0 files: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B9E11E83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=en After installing this, the process worked smoothly. If you are getting error messages when you try to open up your works files, try installing this extra utility.

Thanks for the sticky, and for the idea. My dad had a ton of files that he wanted to read, that he has been unable to, since his old computer bit the dust.
AndrewZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a Microsoft Works .wps import library for use in OpenOffice.org. The project the final stages of the first release (which just supports basic formatting), so I hope it gets into OpenOffice.org version 2.2 or 2.3.

(Basically, you would be able to open Works documents inside OpenOffice.org without Word or Works.)
Jones
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psaulm119 wrote:
With just the Word 2003 viewer (in XP), I was unable to view .wps files created with Works 6.0, on a computer running Windows ME. I went back to the ms site, and found this little utility, that allowed the 2003 Word viewer to read Works 6.0 files: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=B9E11E83-F51B-4977-B572-8C042DF802C1&displaylang=en After installing this, the process worked smoothly. If you are getting error messages when you try to open up your works files, try installing this extra utility.

Thanks for the sticky, and for the idea. My dad had a ton of files that he wanted to read, that he has been unable to, since his old computer bit the dust.

I couldn't open a MS Works file in MS Word viewer until I installed the utilitiy that you're talking about but it still isn't perfect.

The fact that MS' formats aren't read properly by different pieces of their software demonstates their incompetence in my opinion.

AndrewZ wrote:
I'm working on a Microsoft Works .wps import library for use in OpenOffice.org. The project the final stages of the first release (which just supports basic formatting), so I hope it gets into OpenOffice.org version 2.2 or 2.3.

(Basically, you would be able to open Works documents inside OpenOffice.org without Word or Works.)

That looks promising, please do keep up the good work. Lots of people come to OpenOffice.org from MS Works because they realise they can get better software for free.
y_b_nrml

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, hello everyone!

Jones wrote:
The fact that MS' formats aren't read properly by different pieces of their software demonstates their incompetence in my opinion.
hear hear! Very Happy

Quote:
Lots of people come to OpenOffice.org from MS Works because they realise they can get better software for free.

Yes, I am one of them. Plus of course there are way more options. Also, I have some fonts that wouldn't work in Works (ha, shows it's misnamed! Wink) which was really irritating. If I wanted to use them in a document I had to use my photo editing program, create a text box, save that as a .jpg image and then paste it as an object into the works document.

I haven't tried the advice above yet for viewing .wps files but I will check it out. There is one that's probably toast (won't retain original formatting because it's one of those like I just described above) unless I reinstall Works, which I am loath to do.

I have more of these on my computer than I thought, but fortunately not a huge number. Anyway, there may be one or two I can send to help with the import library project, but I'm not really sure even after reading the other page what exactly the developers need. I am just an end-user and clueless about that stuff!
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novell's release of OO opens Works files, in both its Linux and Windows flavours.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y_b_nrml wrote:
Jones wrote:
hear hear!
Oh it's worse than that. It's not (just) incompetence, it is indifference. They care not a jot or tittle about the users as long as they give Bill money
mssmssmss
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: converting old WP files... Reply with quote

Cairns, Queensland
2007 December 29

Recently, I converted about 10,000 Word Perfect for DOS files to Open Office 2.1. The first step involved bringing up the file in WP for DOS on the original platform and then saving it as a Windows file, say 95 or later. Open Office readily accepts such a converted file and then can be saved as an .odt file. On the other hand, it does a dreadful job if the WP for DOS file is imported directly.

Of course, it is a bit much to do all this by hand for 10,000 files, but I wrote scripts in both DOS and LINUX to manage the production run automatically. If someone is desperate, maybe I can save them time by providing them with the routines.

Cheers,

Michael
mssmssmss
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: WP for DOS --------> Open Office .odt Reply with quote

Cairns, Queensland
2007 December 30

Here's a postscript to my last note about converting WP for DOS files to .odt ones. Actually, I have an even better routine for converting large numbers of WP files. It is a LINUX script that uses the convert routine. This script not only converts all jillion WP files to Open Office .doc files, but it also keeps the original date-time stamp, and maintains the original tree structure of subdirectories.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this yesterday.

Cheers,

Michael
y_b_nrml

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find an online file conversion site (www.zamar.com) that did a great job converting my .wpd and .wps files to .doc files. Unfortunately, it doesn't handle .wpg clipart files. I still have an old Corel disk (for Office 7) that I would like to occasionally grab some clip art from, but of course it's unusable in anything but Corel without conversion.

I found this http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=168156 from an OO user and I DL'd the recommended viewer/converter program. However, it does NOT seem to support .wpg. Just curious if anyone here can tell me more about this software, or perhaps some other that might work?
huwg
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y_b_nrml wrote:
I managed to find an online file conversion site (www.zamar.com)
Unfortunately, it doesn't handle .wpg clipart files. I still have an old Corel disk (for Office 7) that I would like to occasionally grab some clip art from, but of course it's unusable in anything but Corel without conversion.

I found this http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=168156 from an OO user and I DL'd the recommended viewer/converter program. However, it does NOT seem to support .wpg. Just curious if anyone here can tell me more about this software, or perhaps some other that might work?

I used to use the software you refer to (XnView), and found it very useful, if occasionally flakey. Along with IrfanView, it is good for opening all sorts of obscure graphics file types. The site does say it will open WPG:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enformats.html#w
but aren't Corel like many other large software companys, in that they change internal file formats without changing the extension? Maybe XnView can only read a version that your stuff isn't.

You could try emailing the writer of XnView.
y_b_nrml

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed wpg is also on the list in the formats.txt file in the program, but when I try to view any wpg files on the Corel program disk, it doesn't work

I wonder if it only works if the image is in a document? Question I don't know how that would be different though. Probably a dumb question. Embarassed

Thanks for your reply though, huwg. You're probably right that Corel has made internal changes since this version of Office (like I said, it's 7, from like, 1996 or so!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: