OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

help: insert pages b4 page-anchored graphics, merge 2 files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtat
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: help: insert pages b4 page-anchored graphics, merge 2 files Reply with quote

I've got some OOo Writer files that consists in a large, page anchored graphic (jpg) on each page with 2 text boxes: one textbox runs the length of the right margin, the other spans the page horizontally below the graphic. It was a rather complex process to create these files, and when I did it, I had no idea I would not be able to add additional, standard pages (pages containing type, rather than a graphics file) to the beginning of these documents or that merging them could pose the sorts of difficulties it does. Reasons why it is not possible to add pages at the beginning are discussed here http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=8343&sid=5e16d40125f26165d509d9532f377bcb and at the link referenced in the thread. The time has now come to merge these 2 large files (ca 35 pages each) and to add the regular pages (regular meaning pages with text on them, rather than graphics) I need at the beginning.

The problems I have are apparently owing to the fact that the graphics are page-anchored. I page-anchored them to get them in the proper orientation on the page (centered top-to-bottom, hugging the left margin). Attempting to insert a page at the beginning of the document using standard means (ctrl-enter) results in a page being added at the end. Attempts to merge result in the graphics being placed on top of graphics in the file being merged-to. I should also mention that the placement of the textboxes--particularly the one along the right margin--is important with respect to the placment of the image on each page, and that there is some irregularity in image size. I'm trying very hard to not have to recreate this document: it was alot of work, and I'd rather not have to do it all over again. Can I get some input on how I might accomplish this task?

Thanks, James
jamtat
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into a real problem. I recreated the file by inserting the total number of pages I need in this document and copying and pasting all the elements into it, starting 5 pages in after the regular text I needed at the beginning. 1 element at a time: first the graphic, then the right margin text box, then the bottom margin textbox. Kind of tedious, but I thought I could spend a couple of hours and get it done. Now I find that, since this document is one of four appendices for my book-length document, that I need to insert the file into a document containing the other three appendices. But I have the same problem when I do this: all the graphics want to switch to the beginning of the document containing the appendices--of which the document in question is supposed to be the third in order. To put it bluntly, this sucks. To try and get this to work, am I going to have to manually create the whole appendix (ca 160 pp), trying to determine where in those pages these graphics need to fall, then go and copy and paste them in one at a time? The document that currently contains them is already way too fragile: if I touch it wrong, it just collapses. What can I do here? I need help. Please help!

James

PS I tried an experiment today using tables instead of text frames for these graphics and associated elements and understood why I didn't use tables to begin with: because there seems to be no way to center a table in the page top-to-bottom (unless it's in a frame--which puts me back to square one). The images are somewhat inconsistently sized, and so need to be centered top-to-bottom on each page. If I could figure out a way to do this, it might represent a solution. I could then replace the bottom text frame with a footer containing text I need at the bottom.
jamtat
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can anyone confirm for me: is it impossible in OOo Writer to center a table top-to-bottom in the page? I mean without placing the table into a frame. Because if the frame the table is in gets centered top-to-bottom on the page that means it will be page-anchored, I think. Thus, with such a scenario I'll have the same probelm I have now: trying to insert a document containing such table-containing frames (anchored to the page) into another document appears to result in all the page-anchored stuff wanting to jump into the first pages. Can anyone please offer some other solution to these problems?

Thanks, James
jamtat
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experimenting with a table inserted into a frame, I may have discovered a workaround for this problem. I insert a table of 2 columns and 1 row into a frame that's centered on the page. Then I tweak the table and image so that the image takes up almost the whole width of the table, though it's inserted into the left column. The right column is for the numbering I need down the right margin next to the graphic. After doing this, I can select the frame (right click on the frame border and a pop-up menu appears) and choose to anchor it to paragraph rather than page. After saving it like this, I then can insert the file into some other file and the graphic will not try to jump to the first pages. After it's inserted into the file it needs to be merged with, I can then select the frame again and anchor it to the page, and it stays put (doesn't try to jump to the first pages). I'll have to largely recreate the document to do this. Alot of manual intervention, since each of the ca 75 frames is going to have to be re-anchored individually (hey macro writers: how 'bout a macro for automating this for me?). It's going to be a fair amount of work, but at least it seems I can finally do what I need with this document. Is there an easier/better/simpler way? Would be nice if there were, but I haven't managed to find it yet.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: