OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Print preview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Print preview Reply with quote

Is this a stupid question, but how does one do a print preview? Not File/Page preview. What if only a spesific range is selected for printing?

Nico
amerj
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Print preview Reply with quote

Nico,
Not a stupid question, but perhaps a stupid answer from me ?!

To specify a single page / range then I think you need to use Format - Page or Format - Print Ranges - Add/Define.

Is this what you wanted, or did I miss the point ?
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more clarity:
In Excel, when one presses ctrl+p to open the print dialog, there is a button titled: "Print preview" Upon opening this dialog, the print preview screen opens which then also allows you to make some page setting changes, like margins, centre the printed image on the page, etc. I find this a very handy feature, but I miss it in Calc.

Regards
Nico
amerj
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Print preview Reply with quote

Ctrl-P will do all of this, except - ahem - preview ..... you can still modify the print settings etc.
A suggestion, if I may .....

Modify your keyboard shortcuts (through Tools, Options), so that you have a shortcut for File - PagePreview.
Here you can modify all printing settings, and still click the print icon.
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amerj There is an icon for Page Preview. Right click a tool bar and check under Visible Buttons. It is a green sheet with the corner turned down. Or use File> Page Preview that is Alt F g for a quick keystroke access.
And as Nico said experiment around with the Format> Print Range that does lots of neat things.
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIke I said in my first post: Page preview doesn't solve my problem. Page preview doesn't do what Print preview does. If you only select a range to print, you want to see how this would look when printed, not the whole page. If you look at this function in Excel, you will see what I mean. I actually can't understand how the programmers overlooked this. It is a function that I use virually every time I print a spreadsheet.

Nico
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico wrote:
If you only select a range to print, you want to see how this would look when printed, not the whole page.

That's exactly how Page Preview works for me, if I've understood this correctly.

If I define a print range, then click on Page Preview I see how the page will print with only the defined print range showing.

There is some strange behaviour with Print Ranges / Printing when Calc opens a file (even one that has been converted to .sxc) that was originally authored in Excel - I wonder if this has something to do with the problem?

BFN Smile,
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've checked it out further and both you and I are right. But these are one of those little niggles in Calc, that unfortunately places Calc still a little behind Excel ...as is for example, the problem with specific formatting of numbers in Calc which, although the same can be done, it is a little more complicated and more cumbersome than in Excel. (I've posted erlier in this regard). Although I'm convinced that Write is far ahead of MS Word, and Impress on par, or probably a little ahead of Powerpoint, I'm a little irritated with Calc, to the extent that I would probably still stick with Excel for a while. This bugs me because I really would like to chuck Office out altogether.
Nico
carl
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale when you buy a new car its a little strange at first too, stick with calc and forget the other program. Some useful tips are here.

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico wrote:
Yes, I've checked it out further and both you and I are right. But these are one of those little niggles in Calc, that unfortunately places Calc still a little behind Excel ...as is for example, the problem with specific formatting of numbers in Calc which, although the same can be done, it is a little more complicated and more cumbersome than in Excel. (I've posted erlier in this regard). Although I'm convinced that Write is far ahead of MS Word, and Impress on par, or probably a little ahead of Powerpoint, I'm a little irritated with Calc, to the extent that I would probably still stick with Excel for a while. This bugs me because I really would like to chuck Office out altogether.
Nico

For what it's worth, I know people who have several office suites installed on the one machine, and who don't run a business and have not written a single book. J.K. Rowling penned her first success in longhand, as did Shakespeare. She now has a personal wealth of over a billion dollars [or is it pounds?] Slight differences about who is ahead of who really don't matter that much for me. The only real difference here is price,and that's important only for those who have not yet purchased MS software, or who are contemplating re-equipping their office staff. If you have Excel and if it does the job in expert hands, then why not simply use it?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Someone alread pointed out the same sort of comparison is done with cars. When asked about my gas mileage [A Volkswagen gets better mileage than a Rolls], I don't reply, since it doesn't matter. I'm not going to dash out and buy a new car to increase my mileage, and if someone did do me the favour and give me one for free, I'd gratefully accept it as is.

David.
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
The only real difference here is price, and that's important only for those who have not yet purchased MS software, or who are contemplating re-equipping their office staff. If you have Excel and if it does the job in expert hands, then why not simply use it?

I actually agree with you David, and I am not generally activistic in nature, or inclined to try and change the world. And contrary to some opinion, I also believe that BG has done more than most people to revolutionize computing and in the process making the technology available to millions of people. However, over here in South Africa an entry level computer, consisting of a 2.4 Celeron processor, 128Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, 17" monitor, plus a good entry level ink jet printer sells for about $US 450. In order to make it work though, you have to install an operating system first. Win XP prof. cost about $US 400 over here. Now you cannot yet do anything with your machine except switch it on. If you now buy MS Office 2003 prof. here it sets you back another $US 670. So one pays 2.5 more for the software than for the hardware. The fact that this is unrealistic is borne out by the fact that Lotus Smartsuite 98 (which is as good as and in some respects better than MS Office) sells here for about $US 40! Obviously even at this low price IBM is still making a profit, so how much profit does MS make?

Now I don't have a basic problem with BG wanting to be the richest man in the world. In fact I do too, but I believe that basic computer software is almost like language. To some degree it should belong to the public domain. I concede that this view is somewhat simplistic, but the exorbitant prices that MS are charging for their software is unrealistic. Moreover, their scant disregard for their customers is another reason why over time, I have built up a resistance against them. Maybe I just want to make a symbolic point by thumbing my nose at Redmond, and that's the reason why I wished I could chuck MS Office out altogether at this stage.

The obvious problem thus far was the fact that one was basically forced to use MS Office because everyone else does, and if you donít use it too you cannot adequately communicate computer wise. So contrary to some opinion expressed in this forum, I strongly support the strong MS Office integration imbedded in OOo, because this will enable all of us to make the final switch one day. I just find it a pity that the developers are sticking so closely to the MS interface itself. Maybe it is to make the switchover as painless as possible, or at least project that perception. In the case of the word processor, the basic structure of Word Pro is much better compared to MS Word, especially its use of styles and the interactiveness between dialogue boxes and the document, and if the OOo developers wanted to emulate someone, it would have been better in my opinion if they had rather emulated Word Pro in the case of the word processor.

David wrote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Ironically enough, I said exactly the same in a different context in a corporate meeting yesterday, and since I believe this, teeth grindingly, I will stay with Excel for now. But MS Word certainly is "broke". It has been since its inception, so I've already replaced it. I've worked just a little bit of late with Impress and so far it seems that it is on par with, or better than PowerPoint, so I will probably replace PowerPoint also.

Thanks for your input though, and I believe we will probably continue to communicate fairly regularly in future. I don't see my computer hardware and software as an end in itself; I use it as a tool to get my work done. However, I prefer finding answers to hardware and software problems in my own way instead of just summarily calling on the blokes in our IT section for help. They regard me now as a so-called "power user", while I am actually just quite an average one.

Best regards
Nico
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your concerns, but they are common concerns that belong rightly in another forum. Here, you can simply ask for the possible solution to some particular problem you may be having with some particular software, but constant comparison leads nowhere except to frustration. That said, ...

My area of interest is mainly mathematics [and physics and computers and music...]. On the one hand you might prefer Caruso, but on the other, you can now cram 3000 pieces of absolutely clear music onto something the size of your thumbnail. I'd love to have had personal copies of Mupad, Derive, Mathematica, Scientific Notebook, .... but can't afford them. I'd love to have the baby grand, or even the grand I've always wanted [played classical piano since childhood], but can't afford it and settle for an electronic version. I'd love to have the home that will fit the darned thing, but can't afford it.

I wouldn't mind personal copies of Windows Pro, instead of the cheaper Home version that came with the new computer, and Excel, but can't afford them either.

So, let's stick to open Office questions and problems. This forum is comparatively an absolutely superb source of information for those who can't afford alternatives, or do so by choice. Now, what was the question again? "Print Preview"? Are not most if not all word processors now WYSIWYG, printing what you see on screen? Perhaps the gear shift might be on the floor instead of on the steering column, but it's there, and it works, and someone here will know how. Not all will be precisely the same, but if it was, it would be called Excel by copyright, and would be a lot more expensive. And in all fairness, there may be a reason for that. An enormous amount of research and resource has gone into its production, and Cals is following the lead for the most part; i.e. that research has been done [not a debate on MS honesty]. I'm not really impressed with the touch and feel, or even the sound, however close, of the electronic piano, and I certainly won't be using all the buttons my granddaughter likes to press, but I will not let that spoil the music.

David.
[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: