OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Page numbering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Page numbering Reply with quote

In both MS Word and Lotus Word Pro it is possible to insert a page number style that looks like this - "Page 3 of 15" or "Page 3/15". Is this possible in OOo, and if so, how? I don't find this option in "Insert/Fields/Page number".

Nico Smith
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nico,

Perhaps this will help?
http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34

HTH Smile,
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general comment, don't stop at Insert > Field > some field. Instead do Insert > Field > Other (or Ctrl+F2) - the really neat/powerful stuff is over there. Explore, enjoy and welcome aboard OOo.

I previously used Word Pro also. Haven't found much I miss.
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I think you will have to insert two different fiields to get the effect you want.

First, Insert/Fields/Other, go to the "Document" Tab (if you aren't already there) and select Page and choose your page number format. That will keep track of what page you are on.

then in the document I would add a "/" or a " / " or " of ", whatever you prefer,, then go back through the Insert/Fields/Other/Document and go to the "Statistics" section and select "Pages". That keeps track of the number of pages in the document.

Kind of a multiple step process of doing what you want, but it should work.

Good luck.

Corfy
Nico
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also discovered this since last night, maybe I should just experimet a bit more before I post a question, but thanks! I actually found a slightly shorter way than your suggestion.
Nico
Corfy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found a shorter way of doing it too, but not until after I made the post.

I was just poking around in the fields listing and saw that and thought of your post. I figured you had probably already found it, but just in case you hadn't, I thought I better toss it in. It was only later that I saw the easier and more obvious way.
TongueTied

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could post what that easier way was?

I am trying to format the page numbering with the chapter numbers(eg chapter 5 page 3 would look like 5-3) and then in the TOC also have the page numbers displayed in the same format.
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue-tied,

I had wondered the same thing but do note that once you set this up it can be stored in AutoText for the next time you need it in a doc.
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it has to be done only once for your document (at least for each page style where you need it). If you regularly use that type of setup, you should create a template from it.

For the shorter way: I can only think of leaving the Insert Fields dialog open, insert both the page and the total page numbers fields, then close the dialog and add the slash (or the dash, or whatever separator). So Nico and Corfy, don't keep us in suspense too much longer if you have another shorter approach Wink
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Insert/Fields, and you should see separate entries for "Page Number" and "Page Count". Page Number is the page you are on, Page Count is the total number of pages. You can then format it with text around it in your header or footer however you want to:

[Page Number] / [Page Count]
Page [Page Number] of [Page Count]
This document has [Page Count] pages and you are now reading page [Page Number].

Hope that helps.

Corfy
Corfy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't see the part where you wanted chapter numbers, that is a little harder.

Insert/Fields/Other, and go to the "Document" tab and click on "Chapter". You should see options for Chapter Name, Chapter Number, and various other things.

I'm not sure how off the top of my head to make page numbering restart with each chapter. Sorry.

Corfy
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to restart page numbering, you need to do a new section for each chapter. The easyest way is to insert a page break with change of page style: Insert -> manual break and under Style select Default: now you are able to select a new page number by checking "Change page number".
If your document is already formated, go to the first paragraph of your chapter, and then do a right click -> paragraph -> Text Flow tab; enable breaks -> with page style and select your number (for example, put 1).
Then, if you want your TOC reflect this, look here:
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=86633#86633
ftack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB, the term "Section" may be a bit confusing here, as sections in Writer are something else. But indeed, the procedure you outlined is the right one: you need a "Page break with change in page style" even if the page style you are changing to is the same one as the previous one.

I would like to expand on this. In a well structurured, consistent document, you probably want a new page for each chapter and restart the counting to 0. Instead of manually applying these settings each time at the beginning of a chapter, you should consolidate it all in a paragraph style: it is in this area that Writer really shines compared to the "competition".

Let us assume that your chapters logically start with a chapter title, formatted using the "heading 1" style.

* Call up the "Styles and formatting" dialog (format - Styles and formatting, or press F11).
* Right-click the "Heading 1" style, click Modify.
* On the "text flow" tab, check "Breaks - Insert - with page style. Leave the page style to default or set it to any page style you want. Change "Page number" to one. Click OK to exit the dialog.

You do this once for your document. From now on, as soon as you enter a chapter title, Writer will take care of creating a new page and resetting the page numbering to one. This is how you should try to work: you do what you are good at: providing content. Let the computer do what it is good at: apply formatting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: