OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Quickly re-assign Microsoft Word to open Word Documents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightsup55
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Word to open Word Documents Reply with quote

Chances are that OpenOffice.org Writer is the default program for Microsoft Word Documents (.doc) and Microsoft Word Templates (.dot) after installing OpenOffice.org.

In most cases, the OpenOffice.org installer will give you the chance to select whether or not OpenOffice.org should open Microsoft Word Documents (including Templates) by default. Some users might have missed or ignored this screen during installation.

If this is the case and you have the full version of Microsoft Word (97 or higher), you can easily restore Microsoft Word to open these documents without reinstalling or running the Detect and Repair tool.

If you wish to reinstall or run the Detect and Repair tool in Microsoft Word (or Microsoft Office), follow instructions/links provided in this topic.

Before going any further, lets check what version of Microsoft Word you have as it is very important that we know this:

Click the "Start" button (to bring up the Start Menu), point to "Programs", then point to "Microsoft Office" and click on "Microsoft Word" (or in some cases, "Microsoft Office Word" followed by a version, i.e. 2003). When Microsoft Word opens (and the splash screen goes away), click "Help" (from the menu bar) and choose "About Microsoft Word" (or "About Microsoft Office Word").

When you are done, click the "OK" (or "Close") button and exit Microsoft Word by clicking "File" (from the menu bar) and choosing "Exit".

Method 1:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type "winword.exe" (without quotes)

3a. If you have Microsoft Word 97 or Microsoft Office 97, type a space followed by the "/regserver" switch (without quotes). Skip to step 4.

3b. If you have Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft Office 2000, Microsoft Word XP (2002), Microsoft Office XP (2002), Microsoft Word 2003, or Microsoft Office 2003, type a space followed by the "/r" switch (without quotes). Skip to step 4.

4. Now click the Open button OR hit the Enter key on your keyboard to run Microsoft Word with this command line switch.

If you get an error that states "Cannot find the file..." or "Windows cannot find...", use Method 2.

Method 2:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Click Browse.

3. Locate the Office folder, click the winword.exe file, and then click Open. The winword.exe file is located in the following folder by default:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
It is also possible that the winword.exe file could be found in the following folder depending on which version of Microsoft Word (or Microsoft Office) you have:
Microsoft Word XP (2002) or Microsoft Office XP (2002): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10
Microsoft Word 2003 or Microsoft Office 2003: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

Note: The path to winword.exe is enclosed in quotation marks.

4. Click in the Open box, and then reposition the insertion point outside of (to the right of) the closing quotation mark at the end of the path statement.

5a. If you have Microsoft Word 97 or Microsoft Office 97, type a space followed by the "/regserver" switch (without quotes). Skip to step 6.

5b. If you have Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft Office 2000, Microsoft Word XP (2002), Microsoft Office XP (2002), Microsoft Word 2003, or Microsoft Office 2003, type a space followed by the "/r" switch (without quotes). Skip to step 6.

6. Now click the Open button OR hit the Enter key on your keyboard to run Microsoft Word with this command line switch.

This will start Microsoft Word in the background, make changes to the Windows registry, and then quit. This will force a re-register of Microsoft Word in the Windows registry.

Method Notes
If you put the switch inside the closing quotation mark and then click OK, you receive one of the following error messages:
Cannot find the file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe /r' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
-or-
Windows cannot find 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE /r'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Please note that this only applies to the full version of Microsoft Word.

If you are using the Microsoft Word Viewer, you'll need to reinstall it.

Last edited by lightsup55 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daniel1212
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: open Doc. options Reply with quote

Another option would be to place a shortcut to both Ms word and OO in the Windows Send To folder. In W/98se, which is what i use, it is C:\WINDOWS\SendTo. If you copy the shortcut to the applications you want to use to open files, and past them in that folder, you can then R. click the files and point to Send to and the program you want to use. I have done that a lot. You can even make a short cut to the Send to folder in Windows, and place it in the Send to folder, and then send any shortcut there. That way you can open up doc. files or jpeg, etc., with any application that can handle them!

Dan
www.peacebyjesus.com
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't work. I installed OpenOffice.org 2.0 a while back and planned to never use MS Office again, but, I have since been forced to use MS Office due to some of those very minor differences that prevent 100% perfect conversion between formats. So, I got MS Office 2003 and installed it on my system with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint (all full versions of course, not viewers.) When I installed MS Office, if it had an option to associate with MS Office, I chose to disable it (perhaps in the hopes I could continue to use OOo primarily. Mistake I guess.)

I tried your method. Start->Run "winword /r" and it opened up that little dialog box, ran through it's little thing saying it was configuring Word 2003 and such, and then when it exited, nothing had changed.

BTW, Open With doesn't seem to work. MS broke something somehow where if I select winword.exe with the browse button, it doesn't actually add to the list of programs you can select. I have a strong suspicion that this has to do with them having changed something or other to do with the way it's shortcuts work. Here's a normal shortcut target as an example of what they should be:
"C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\nero.exe"
Here's what I see for a MS Office shortcut:
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

That's right, what should be a full pathname + filename is, for some reason, just a PROGRAM name (not even a filename.) Somehow it's grayed out so you can't modify it when no other shortcuts are as well. To be even be able to run like this, MS must have changed something they probably shouldn't have, and I don't like it as it smacks of their usual obsession with integrating everything into everything else.

As for the filetypes in explorer method, unfortunately, if I attempt to change via that interface, it gives me the open with dialog again, so I still have the same problem. I'm using XP, so this shouldn't be a problem for anyone else with an older version of windows since that open with dialog is new. Once I'm done with all the stuff I need MS Office for, I'm definitely going back to OOo, but, for now I'm stuck (and I have to use 2003 as well, can't use 2000, which I liked a lot better.)

Well, I'm stuck. I'm going to have to dig through registry guides and figure out how to manually fix the extentions back. Maybe reinstalling would work, but, as painful of a method as doing it the hard way via the registry is, it's still a much more elegant long-term solution than having to reinstall when one encounters such a problem. I consider send to a non-solution as it's not an association so much as a huge list of programs that shows up for every single filetype (which means you have to select the correct one, and it means your list is going to get quite large if you do this for every program, making it nearly impossible to use.)
Deleted spam links - floris v, moderator

Last edited by gizmo on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:26 am; edited 59 times in total
daniel1212
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Send To Reply with quote

Sorry for your troubles. It would be nice if OO had an option for associating files types with it, but apparently even 2.0 does no (i stick with 1.14 for good reasons). But one method i described was by right clicking on the OO icon and making a shortcut to it (or do so from the actual applcation at C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.4\program\soffice.exe) and placing it in the SendTo folder, which in XP should be in the C drive, like in Documents and Settiings/Default\ User\SendTo . Then you just right on a .doc file and point to Send To and hit OpenOffice and it should launch. I use this method for many files types that various applications can open (.jpg. .mp3)

If i understand you correctly you tried to associtate .doc files wirth OO* and it did not work. though it should if the path is right (right clicking on any program icon and choosing Properties and then Find Target usually will tell you it).

Well, i pray this helps, let me know if it does not.

* [go to My Computer (Windows key +E), then Tools>FolderOptions and File Types, and then Microsoft Word document, Edit, Actions, Open, Edit and placing the above path If it is indeed the same in XP) as the Applicatioj used to ]

daniel1212
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO, one thing i failed to mention is that you should go to Folder Options and View, and click Show all files, or whatever like it XP offers, and also deselect Hide File Extensions for known file types. This may be hlepfui in navigating, etc.
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for the shouting Wink

OOo does have the options during installation of which file types you wish to associate with it. If you click those then it's not OOo's fault. This is not an OOo problem. If you need to reassociate file types that's an OS problem and you should know how to deal with that before you go and break everything.

I can't see the point in sticking with 1.1.4 over this issue. Upgrading would be a good idea.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
No need for the shouting Wink

I had to agree with this. The bold, bright colors and huge font size almost made me choose to completely ignore you daniel1212. It's very rude and annoying in Internet etiquette to do such things. Please, in the future, stick to ordinary fonts. A little color (such as the brown in the second post) is generally ok since it doesn't contrast too highly and, in fact, adds a little bit of color when forums can get a bit bland after seeing the same stuff for too long, but, remember the idea is to be tasteful, not annoying, so keep the formatting to a minimum for maximum readability.
daniel1212 wrote:
But one method i described was by right clicking on the OO icon and making a shortcut to it (or do so from the actual applcation at C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.4\program\soffice.exe) and placing it in the SendTo folder, which in XP should be in the C drive, like in Documents and Settiings/Default\ User\SendTo . Then you just right on a .doc file and point to Send To and hit OpenOffice and it should launch. I use this method for many files types that various applications can open (.jpg. .mp3)

I've already described in my previous post why this is such an inelegant solution as to be no solution at all in my opinion. Simply put, your send-to list is going to get hugely cluttered, confusing, and in general just a pain in the rear to use. Having to always select the right program for the right file in an increasingly large and cluttered list will become confusing and, in the long run, can potentially actually take longer than opening up the appropriate software and manually opening the file within it. For that matter, a drag and drop is even faster still. In essense, the send-to list method does indeed work, but, it really was specifically designed to have locations and programs that you can easily set ANY file to open in. This is insanely handy for, say, a text editor that can double as a hex editor (such as UltraEdit I guess, but, UE can add to the right click menu, so no need for send-to) but, when it comes to things that can only open one or two filetypes, it's generally not so much a solution as a new problem.

Quote:
If i understand you correctly you tried to associtate .doc files wirth OO* and it did not work. though it should if the path is right (right clicking on any program icon and choosing Properties and then Find Target usually will tell you it)

No, this is incorrect. I tried to associate .doc with Word 2003, .xls with Excel 2003, and .ppt with Powerpoint 2003. So far I have been unable to do so.

daniel1212 wrote:
OO, one thing i failed to mention is that you should go to Folder Options and View, and click Show all files, or whatever like it XP offers, and also deselect Hide File Extensions for known file types. This may be hlepfui in navigating, etc.

This is quite possibly the very first thing I do with ANY installation. Yes, any, including when I install to someone else's system, because I feel like MS royally screwed up in choosing to hide extensions and have caused nothing but confusion for a lot of people this way. Well, ok, I leave hidden files hidden on other people's computers, but, on mine I can't stand the idea of it hiding files simply because of one tiny little bit set to a 1 instead of a 0 in the FAT. So, I can assure you that there are no hidden extentions messing up my attempts to reassociate.

9point9 wrote:
OOo does have the options during installation of which file types you wish to associate with it. If you click those then it's not OOo's fault. This is not an OOo problem. If you need to reassociate file types that's an OS problem and you should know how to deal with that before you go and break everything.

Actually, I have to say that it is. First of all, many programs just love to grab associations without warning. Some things like Winamp have actually even gone the desperate route of keeping an agent running which grabs those associations back when players such as Windows Media Player try to steal them (which it has done to me before even when I explicitely told it not to.) The same applies to documention software. In particular, I especially consider this a mistake because, while I had indeed chosen to allow OOo to take associations, when I installed Office 2003 LATER, it shouldn't have retained them so completely that Office didn't get any. I consider it a mistake on the part of any software that professes to work within windows on any semi-common filetypes (and word documents using the .doc extention are among the very most common filetypes out there) to not have a way of reassociating and deassociating at need. Such software WILL cause problems at some time. Not may, will. And yes, Microsoft Office is directly included in my list of programs that I'm saying a mistake has been made on. I hold the OOo people to higher standards than MS though, I expect better of them. MS doesn't care about quality, so anyone wishing to compete with them should start first of all with quality. The user should not be forced to learn about registry "hacking" to force such a switch especially as a more inexperienced user can potentially break something. A simple setting in the options that says, for example "Associate Documents With" and a selection box for properly installed software and a browse button for improperly installed software would suffice, and wouldn't be terribly hard to program in. It's not even a novel idea. I've seen this method used in several programs in the past.

9point9 wrote:
I can't see the point in sticking with 1.1.4 over this issue. Upgrading would be a good idea.

I have to second this part though. Previous versions of OOo are not any better at this situation than later versions, nor are they worse. There is no reason that this particular issue should prevent you from upgrading your copy of OOo since it makes no difference whatsoever one way or the other. Maybe there are other reasons not to upgrade, but, this is not one of them since it exists in all versions equally. Question is, do you need to upgrade? It's not right to say "upgrading would be a good idea" without further information. Sometimes an upgrade can actually cause serious problems. A person should really make a habit of upgrading only when absolutely necessary. Ok, most of us aren't going to follow such a strict guideline, but, the point is that you shouldn't upgrade just on the theory that newer is better. That said, I have so far found no disadvantage of 2.0 versus 1.1.4..

Last edited by gizmo on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 18 times in total
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:

Actually, I have to say that it is. First of all, many programs just love to grab associations without warning. Some things like Winamp have actually even gone the desperate route of keeping an agent running which grabs those associations back

Winamp has become a horrid program. People say they want to see themes in OOo, look at Winamp critically and you'll see that it's usability is appalling. Please for the love of God do not put themes like that in any other program. You can disable Winamps agent during installation, you should always do this.

OOo does not do anything with file extensions in a non-standard (for Windows) way. You can then reassoicate them yourself to somthing else and if it doesn't reassoicate then it's that other programs fault or Windows', not OOo's fault.

During installation the M$ filetypes are not selected by default, you have to select them so people are consciously making the decision without thinking about what it means. Next they come to this forum and start complaining about how 'OOo has stolen my file extensions' or 'OOo has converted all of my MS files to OOo files' because they don't understand. There's even a big explanation at the installation step saying what it means, how many people are actually reading and digesting this? No, they're just going ahead and clicking them because they want to open their M$ files in OOo without thinking that this is for setting up an association, not a filter.

gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone agrees about Winamp's usability, however, this is unrelated. I never mentioned themes, only that it's using a small footprint program always running to regrab stolen file associations among other things. The point isn't whether you like themes or not (and, btw, you can find minimalist themes that make Winamp more like whatever player you do like) but to provide an example of a common program that has a solution for the common windows problem of grabbed file associations.

My point is that I installed OOo first with MS Office not even on my system. As such, I NEEDED OOo to grab Office associations. I had no other application to handle them. When I much later installed MS Office, OOo should not have retained associations with no means of switching back.
hampers
herbal medicine for acne

Anyway, we need to accept that users make mistakes. If programs start saying "too bad, you screwed up, now you're stuck," those programs become extinct when everyone stops using them eventually. Users don't like that. We all make the occasional slipup and don't want to have to deal with it more than is truly necessary. If you must assume that mistakes WILL be made, then you must allow for a means to correct said mistakes. Forcing the user to take roundabout indirect non-intuitive means for corecting a common mistake is not a good idea. Well, if nothing else, think of it this way. If they can correct it themselves, they don't come in here and complain as often.

Don't get me wrong. MS is just as guilty -- or at least nearly so. They did provide a means of changing associations (which appears to not work) but it's so unintuitive that it may as well not even be present. Still, I expect better from those who mean to compete with the company who I swear has people sitting around thinking "what mind-numbingly stupid thing can we change in a way carefully designed to be worse than the previous for no apparent reason just to screw around customers today?"

Moderation probe1: 2 SPAM URLs removed

Last edited by gizmo on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am; edited 7 times in total
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:
OOo should not have retained associations with no means of switching back.

OOo does not take any steps to hold on to file associations. It is the fault of the OS or the program that they are trying to associate the files with for stopping it from working.

gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take your word on that, but, the fact remains that it also takes no steps to allow the user any further choice at a later date. Suppose you just finally switched from MS Office to OOo and want to switch extentions to it? Well, then you have to manually switch them yourself or reinstall because OOo won't even do that. It takes no steps WHATSOEVER. Take a look at the browser wars for example. Each browser has a setting allowing you to set it as the default browser. Just one click and you're set usually. I think all programs should use such means for their native file format with the option to select or deselect within each program whether it will be default or not.

Last edited by gizmo on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:23 am; edited 6 times in total
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:
BTW, Open With doesn't seem to work. MS broke something somehow where if I select winword.exe with the browse button, it doesn't actually add to the list of programs you can select.

I don't think Word would be added to the Open With list until you first open a .doc file with Word. You have to select Choose Program at the bottom of the Open With list. This opens the Open With dialog where you can select Word as the program to open .doc files. You shouldn't have to know the path to the program to do this, only the name of the program. If you want Word to always open .doc files, you must check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". This is the step that changes the file association.
9point9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:
the fact remains that it also takes no steps to allow the user any further choice at a later date.

Why should OOo do it though? It is an OS related thing. If OOo disassociates it, it must know what to associate it with and that is what the OS should be doing.

gizmo wrote:
Suppose you just finally switched from MS Office to OOo and want to switch extentions to it? Well, then you have to manually switch them yourself or reinstall because OOo won't even do that.

OOo is not supposed to do it. Your OS should. Shift + right click on a file, open with, select the program you want it associated with. It works for me brilliantly in Windows 2000, maybe they've gone and broken it in Windows for Kiddies but that is MS's fault, not OOo's.

gizmo wrote:
Each browser has a setting allowing you to set it as the default browser.

Each browser does not have a setting. There is an environment variable which they can set. This is one setting, now imagine how many file types you may have on a machine, thousands.

gizmo wrote:
I think all programs should use such means for their native file format with the option to select or deselect within each program whether it will be default or not.

This is a duty of the OS, not individual programs. Having settings within seperate programs to make them open file types will cause conflicts like you are describing. It is exactly that mentality which messes up file associations. There is only one default aplication for each file type so set it centrally, with the OS. You may have custom file associations, for instance I have *.ker for some kinds of data files, I associate that in my OS to open in Origin. If I had to mess around in Origin's settings for half an hour then it would be a lot worse than doing a simple file association in my OS. *.doc isn't OOo's native format anyway.

In case I haven't made it clear enough: file associations should be dealt with by the OS. OOo has done nothing wrong here. Either your OS isn't able to look after file associations or the other programs you mention aren't treating file associations properly, quite possibly because they've gone for the non-standard mentality that you previously advocated.

daniel1212
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Send To Reply with quote

I am want to first say i am sorry about the bold "shouting" colors. When i typed in my reply the print was so small that i felt it would be hard to read, and well, i do like colors, but i can see this was too much!.

As for the Send To advice, i myself do find it very easy and useful, as i often want to try different apps for certain files types. That way i can easily send an .mp3 to Jet Audio or WM, or a .jpg to Gimp or Photo Filter for instance.

As for my sticking with 1.14, i do so because i tried 2.0 on W/98 (650mhz, 192 Ram) and had many problems, which i detailed on another thread a whileback: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=103144#103144

But none of this seems to solve the problem Gizmo is having. If you do want to reinstall OO, you can save your Tool Bar configurations as well as some other preferences, dictionaries, and other prefernces, i believe, and transfer them later.

I pray you can get it solved. Smile
gizmo
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
I don't think Word would be added to the Open With list until you first open a .doc file with Word. You have to select Choose Program at the bottom of the Open With list. This opens the Open With dialog where you can select Word as the program to open .doc files. You shouldn't have to know the path to the program to do this, only the name of the program. If you want Word to always open .doc files, you must check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". This is the step that changes the file association.

Should. Unfortunately, does not. It's not in the immediate open-with list, and when I open the open-with dialog, it's not in the far longer list of major programs.
dating kvinder
sinus specialist
celebrity news
newport beach houseMatalan Voucher Codes
entrance mats

9point9 wrote:
gizmo wrote:
Why should OOo do it though? It is an OS related thing. If OOo disassociates it, it must know what to associate it with and that is what the OS should be doing.

That's why I mentioned the idea of having a manual selection. It could guess what's installed among well known programs, say Word and Word Perfect for example. And, to handle when it's unable to guess, a manual selection by path+filename. That much was just an idea though. Mainly I just feel it should have the ability to control whether IT is default or not.

9point9 wrote:
OOo is not supposed to do it. Your OS should. Shift + right click on a file, open with, select the program you want it associated with. It works for me brilliantly in Windows 2000, maybe they've gone and broken it in Windows for Kiddies but that is MS's fault, not OOo's.

I don't guess it's an XP problem. My first inclination was to blame Office 2003 and all it's new stuff, including what I mentioned about the strange and impossible way the shortcuts are handled. Perhaps it's just an anomaly, I can't say.

9point9 wrote:
Each browser does not have a setting. There is an environment variable which they can set. This is one setting, now imagine how many file types you may have on a machine, thousands.

Alright, I'm sorry, I made a bit of a generic statement. All MAJOR browsers have a setting. Including, Internet Explorer, Firefox/Mozilla, Netscape (or what's left of it,) and Opera that I have personally had direct experience working with. Browsers such as Lynx do not have such a setting, I will admit.

9point9 wrote:
I think all programs should use such means for their native file format with the option to select or deselect within each program whether it will be default or not.

This is a duty of the OS, not individual programs. Having settings within seperate programs to make them open file types will cause conflicts like you are describing. It is exactly that mentality which messes up file associations. There is only one default aplication for each file type so set it centrally, with the OS. You may have custom file associations, for instance I have *.ker for some kinds of data files, I associate that in my OS to open in Origin. If I had to mess around in Origin's settings for half an hour then it would be a lot worse than doing a simple file association in my OS. *.doc isn't OOo's native format anyway.

Why do you feel this is the duty purely of the OS? Programs handle files, not the OS. The OS manages filesystems, interface, memory, programs, etc, not the files themselves. Due to the extremely large number of programs, the OS can't be expected to always get it right. Many programs aren't even listed properly and must be manually added due to the way the programs install. However, the individual programs themselves DO handle the individual files. They are the parts that get installed and uninstalled as necessary which will grab file associations when installed at least, and, therefore, they should hold some responsibility for those associations. Otherwise you may just as well expect the user to manually associate all extentions after installing software. I can just imagine how much microsoft with their over-idiot-proofing would love explaining that the user must associate the file manually after having installed their new copy of office.

And, since when does it take an hour to change such a setting? Let's take, for example, Internet Explorer. To change the setting, simply open IE, go to the options (tools/options,) click the programs tab, and select or deselect the option for IE to check if it's default or not. That takes me a few seconds to describe and less time to do. Ok, the process isn't exactly insanely obvious to the average user, which is probably why the major browsers will ask if you want to make them the default browser when they detect they are not when you start them. Actually, the process may not be 100% obvious to the common user, but, it sounds pretty intuitive to me.

Speaking of the more common user, what are they supposed to do to reassociate OOo? You'll have to explain to them the whole open with thing. I work with "the more common user" every day, and you MUST (this is not optional) work with their refusal to deal with anything that feels complicated. I know these users have troubles with things like the open-with settings, but, find it quite easy to simply click yes or no after starting the program (and deselect the option to keep asking if need be, which all the browsers doing such a dialog also offer on that dialog.) Remember, this is not based on just what theoretically seems easier, but, actual experience with actual unexperienced users.

Now, last I heard, OOo did not have a goal of sitting on their laurels doing nothing. If I'm not mistaken, they actually hope to increase their market share. In fact, I remember hearing about a recent push to get some government agencies to switch to officially using the open documentation standards put forth by OpenOffice.org. Are they doing this because they DON'T wish to compete with Microsoft? What I'm saying is, if you mean to compete, you MUST make the product/service more appealing to the customers. Microsoft does this. To a painful extreme. They pick the larger volume of the "common man" rather than the smaller volume of those who TRULY know what they are doing when working with computers. Their methods and "features" (read bugs) are questionable, but, they've managed to make their products so appealing to such users that they see a high enough volume use to force many of us who do know what the alternatives are and how to use them to use MS software simply because we must work with the larger number of those who exclusively use the MS software. It's not right, but, it's reality.

Simply put, the idea is anyone wishing to compete with MS MUST make their product/service decent looking (no, I'm not talking skins, just an intuitive interface with appropriate icons and such) easily installable and integratable into their information systems. MS does this and thus MS is gaining so much momentum they are beginning to become haughty as they are able to get away with things they should not be able to (such as the hardware linked activation system that reprove the software you legally own is legal if you make major changes, reinstall, etc.) MS has cracked the door open for people such as Sun Microsystems and I suggest busting it open all the way rather than simply trying to make do with just what the small crack offers. Out MS MS, but, without the evil "let's install video cameras in the user's homes to see if they pirate our insanely priced software" type attitude and you'll all but own the market.

In a word, make it less painful to do things that should be simple, which includes file associations. I'm not saying actually have the option to select any program to association from within OOo, I'm merely saying it should have the ability to handle control over whether it is default or not, and no more. More is nice, but, not required.

Anyway, daniel1212, my solution is just to use the registry editor to manually change the associations when I get around to it. I'm not reinstalling OOo. I have been forced to aquire a modern copy of MS Office, so I'm going to use it now. Right now I only feel that OOo is roughly equal in quality to MS Office, but, with the added advantage of 100% perfect compatibility with MS Office (what with it actually BEING Office and all.) As such, I really have no need to use OOo in the near future, though maybe later when Office changes or OOo improves -- and I assume that it will as it has generally shown some rather decent progress.

Last edited by gizmo on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:58 am; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: