OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Quickly re-assign Microsoft Word to open Word Documents
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:

That's why I mentioned the idea of having a manual selection. It could guess what's installed among well known programs, say Word and Word Perfect for example. And, to handle when it's unable to guess, a manual selection by path+filename. That much was just an idea though. Mainly I just feel it should have the ability to control whether IT is default or not.

It shouldn't, that can lead to conflicts between programs. You've already mentioned the Winamp agent which changes file associations, if you make programs setting it common practice then you'll get more applications having irritating practices like the Winamp agent.

gizmo wrote:

I don't guess it's an XP problem. My first inclination was to blame Office 2003 and all it's new stuff, including what I mentioned about the strange and impossible way the shortcuts are handled.

Programs should work by being able to pass a filename to the executable. This is how file associations work behind the GUI. For Word it should be:

Code:
winword.exe filename.doc

If that doesn't work, file associations won't work either, then MS really have messed it up.

gizmo wrote:

Alright, I'm sorry, I made a bit of a generic statement. All MAJOR browsers have a setting.

No, you've missed my point. NO browsers have a setting for this. It is an environment variable in the OS. One variable. That is not the same as a file association as an association with *.html is not the same as being the default browser, the two are entirely different things. The web browser is associated with protocols, not file name extensions.

gizmo wrote:

Why do you feel this is the duty purely of the OS? Programs handle files, not the OS. The OS manages filesystems, interface, memory, programs, etc, not the files themselves.

Programs may work with the files but they do not actively put there hand up and say "yeah that file types mine, parse it over here". When you execute a file type the OS decides which program to parse it to.

gizmo wrote:

They are the parts that get installed and uninstalled as necessary which will grab file associations when installed at least, and, therefore, they should hold some responsibility for those associations. Otherwise you may just as well expect the user to manually associate all extentions after installing software.

The program does not actively 'grab' associations. The installer registers it centrally, that's different. I'm not saying that a program should install without file associations at all. It should set up associations for it's native formats (and it's own codeline's legacy formats) as a minimum. Over association is a problem, one of the many issues I have with Half-life 2 is that it takes *.bsp and *.dem file types. There is little need for it to do that as very few people would browse their file system to look for a map they want to play on.

gizmo wrote:

And, since when does it take an hour to change such a setting? [snip] Actually, the process may not be 100% obvious to the common user, but, it sounds pretty intuitive to me.

And, since when does it take an hour to right click on a file in a file manager, click an option, browse for the target application? That is far more intuitive. Browse these forums and you will find many posts by users who don't seem to have found Tools > Options. That would be another propreitary method for each application. Have it done centrally in the OS/desktop environment.

Lets say you are in a file manager with a file in front of you not associated with the application you want. What you are suggesting is that they open up the target application, change it's options, then go back to the file manager (hoping it refreshes to reflect the change) and then opens the file. They just won't bother. The current 'open with' from a file manager is far more intuitive and quicker.

gizmo wrote:
Speaking of the more common user, what are they supposed to do to reassociate OOo?

Why would the more common user find it any easier to learn where to find the open with settings in every program that they use? Having ONE method is far simpler. File associations are for only one program per file type anyway. Under your proposal you'd have users saying "I tried to associate this filetype with this program and it changed the setting in my other program. I want it to be able to open in both!" just because they don't understand the one file type, one program scheme.

gizmo wrote:
What I'm saying is, if you mean to compete, you MUST make the product/service more appealing to the customers.

You are of the opinion that your idea would be more appealing. I don't agree. I think it would make things worse as it would confuse people. You are also assuming that the method that the OS uses for file associations will not change. If it does change, the association system in the program would have to change too.

gizmo wrote:
MS is gaining so much momentum they are beginning to become haughty as they are able to get away with things they should not be able to (such as the hardware linked activation system that reprove the software you legally own is legal if you make major changes, reinstall, etc.)

...or the way in which they appear to have (by what you've described) messed up parsing a filename to a program as they aren't adhering to a standard.

I'm not going to say much more about this as I can see we won't get any further. You seem to think that your proposal will make things better, I disagree. You have previously said that you hate Winamps Agent program (I despise it) but what you can not see is that the practice you are advocating would encourage applets (or craplets) like that to be more widespread. This is an important point that you have missed, you are encouraging non-standard compliance for something that is handled centrally, this would also lead to more of the problems that you are describing with associating with Winword. It would also make things more difficult for end users as tehy would have to learn a different set of settings dialogues for each program, rather than one central one that is better coordinated and better matches the one filetype, one application association scheme and the file manager browsing that is common practice.[/code]

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo wrote:
BillP wrote:
I don't think Word would be added to the Open With list until you first open a .doc file with Word. You have to select Choose Program at the bottom of the Open With list. This opens the Open With dialog where you can select Word as the program to open .doc files. You shouldn't have to know the path to the program to do this, only the name of the program. If you want Word to always open .doc files, you must check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file". This is the step that changes the file association.

Should. Unfortunately, does not. It's not in the immediate open-with list, and when I open the open-with dialog, it's not in the far longer list of major programs.

I don't know why Word is not listed in the "Open With" dialog. I have never experienced this problem. If Word is actually properly installed, you should be able to associate .doc files with Word in less than 2 minutes. You can use Search to find Winword.exe, then use the browse button on the "Open With" dialog to navigate to Winword.exe. Manually changing the registry should not be necessary for this task.
daniel1212
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Word... Reply with quote

This will not solve the poblem, but i thought i would give a give link to a shell tool called OpenExpert, which adds an "Open with" item to the context menu of the chosen file type with all the applications you decide. At least it is aptly named for the problem here!

http://www.freewarebox.com/free_3690_openexpert-download.html
daniel1212
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought i would add a couple more freeware apps i happened to come across relative to this subject. These do not offer to solve the problem of associating OO with .doc, but instead they offer to resore the XP defaults back. But i am so pleased with with OO i certainly have no desire to do that. Thank God for Open Office!
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/EXE_FIX.htm
http://www.memecode.com/xpassociate.php
henrik.s
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Just to make sure, this has probably been posted already:)

You can assign all .doc-files to a certain program, i. e. OO.org, if you (click on..)

Extras -> Folder options -> File types -> search for DOC -> click Edit -> search for the swriter.exe -> submit/accept the settings you've made and voila Smile
D_e_n_n_i_s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Batch Files-Go Back & Forth Between MS Office & Open Reply with quote

Here are two batch files that I put together from info out there to suit my needs and hope it may help some folks out. The first associates Microsoft Office documents with Open Office. The second batch file reverses this process, which can also be used to remedy file association issues for Microsoft Office.

Now, if anyone has any ideas on this: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=381465#381465 ... feel free to let me know Very Happy

OpenOfficeAssociations.bat:

REM Point Microsoft Office File Associations to Open Office

REM Word documents .doc, .docx, etc.
assoc .doc=OpenOffice.org.Doc
assoc .dot=OpenOffice.org.Dot
assoc .docx=OpenOffice.org.Docx
assoc .docm=OpenOffice.org.Docm
assoc .rtf=OpenOffice.org.rtf

REM PowerPoint slideshows, .ppt, .pptx, etc.
assoc .pps=OpenOffice.org.Pps
assoc .ppsm=OpenOffice.org.Ppsm
assoc .ppsx=OpenOffice.org.Ppsx
assoc .ppt=OpenOffice.org.Pptx
assoc .pptm=OpenOffice.org.Pptm
assoc .pptx=OpenOffice.org.Pptx

REM Excel spreadsheets, .xls, .xlsx, etc.
assoc .xls=OpenOffice.org.Xls
assoc .xlt=OpenOffice.org.Xlt
assoc .xlsb=OpenOffice.org.Xlsb
assoc .xlsx=OpenOffice.org.Xlsx
assoc .xlsm=OpenOffice.org.Xlsm
assoc .xltx=OpenOffice.org.Xlsx
assoc .xltm=OpenOffice.org.Xlsm

====================================

Revert-Repair MS Office Associations.bat

REM Restore-Repair Microsoft Office File Type Associations

REM Word documents .doc, .docx, etc.
assoc .doc=Word.Document.8
assoc .docx=Word.Document.12
assoc .dot=Word.Template.8
assoc .docxml=wordxmlfile
assoc .dochtml=wordhtmlfile
assoc .docm=Word.DocumentMacroEnabled.12
assoc .docmhtml=wordmhtmlfile
assoc .rtf=Word.RTF.8

REM PowerPoint slideshows, .ppt, .pptx, etc.
assoc .pot=PowerPoint.Template.8
assoc .pps=PowerPoint.SlideShow.8
assoc .ppsm=PowerPoint.SlideShowMacroEnabled.12
assoc .ppsx=PowerPoint.SlideShow.12
assoc .ppt=PowerPoint.Show.8
assoc .pptm=PowerPoint.ShowMacroEnabled.12
assoc .pptx=PowerPoint.Show.12

REM Excel spreadsheets, .xls, .xlsx, etc.
assoc .xlc=Excel.Chart.8
assoc .xlm=Excel.Macrosheet
assoc .xls=Excel.Sheet.8
assoc .xlsb=Excel.SheetBinaryMacroEnabled.12
assoc .xlsm=Excel.SheetMacroEnabled.12
assoc .xlsx=Excel.Sheet.12
assoc .xlt=Excel.Template
assoc .xltm=Excel.Template
assoc .xltx=Excel.Template
assoc .xlw=Excel.Workspace
wspc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Incompatibility between M$Office Word and OO Reply with quote

Just wondering,
Is there a team working on addressing incompatibility issues between the two formats?
Do they have a blog for users to contribute specific bugs to?
Thanks
Ahmad1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try to place a shortcut to both Ms word and OO in the Windows Send To folder.
floris_v

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Incompatibility between M$Office Word and OO Reply with quote

wspc wrote:
Just wondering,
Is there a team working on addressing incompatibility issues between the two formats?
Do they have a blog for users to contribute specific bugs to?
Thanks

The generic place to post bug reports and feature requests: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/
Jerome112

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I think you should try out.

Basically, the Font list in the Symbol dialog box shows the fonts that are available in Word, and each font offers different characters (sometimes very different). Some of the fonts are divided into subsets so that you can view the list of characters by groups. For example, in the Times New Roman font, you can click General Punctuation in the Subset list to quickly view the punctuation characters available in the selected font. Not every font has a Subset list, and the list is different depending on the selected font.

NOTE To display the Subset list in Word 2003 or 2002 for the fonts that support the list, click Unicode (hex) in the from list at the bottom of the Symbol dialog box.

To find a limited selection of international characters, click the Latin-1 or Latin Extended-A subset in a font that supports the Subset list, such as Arial.
Chantel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to reassociate file types that's an OS problem and you should know how to deal with that before you go and break everything. I can't see the point in sticking with 1.1.4 over this issue.
Crutchley
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to mess around in Origin's settings for half an hour then it would be a lot worse than doing a simple file association in my OS.
roston
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered 3mm polyurethane insole (thickest under the ball) and a 4mm anatomical pod outsole design that offers more plating protection Vibram 5fingers Shoes Cheap On Sale, and distributes forefoot impact Without compromising important ground feedback essential to a proper forefoot strike running form.
Trainer Basics trx suspension training video 8-week workout guide plus bonus workouts for clients.
Loss weight and muscle training necessary for Cheap TRX Training Personal Trainer Whit Reutlinger -In Home Personal Trainer.
TRX FORCE Kit: TRX France Tactical Used by US Military Weighs under 2 lbs 12-week workout program Running Bag.
TRX Home Use Vibram Five Fingers Sale at home or on the road Workout on your own schedule Mix & match digital exercise routines Get professional results anywhere, any time
For the first time ever, Vibram? introduces a stitch-free trx straps, seamless 3mm footbed to reduce friction. Heel and instep hook-and-loop closures help secure the stretch nylon upper to the contours of your foot-just like a second skin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: