OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Quickly re-assign Microsoft Excel to open Excel Spreadsheets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightsup55
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Excel to open Excel Spreadsheets Reply with quote

Chances are that OpenOffice.org Calc is the default program for Microsoft Excel Worksheets (.xls), Microsoft Excel Charts (.xlc), and Microsoft Excel Templates (.xlt) after installing OpenOffice.org.

In most cases, the OpenOffice.org installer will give you the chance to select whether or not OpenOffice.org should open Microsoft Excel Documents (including Templates) by default. Some users might have missed or ignored this screen during installation.

If this is the case and you have the full version of Microsoft Excel (97 or higher), you can easily restore Microsoft Excel to open these documents without reinstalling or running the Detect and Repair tool.

If you wish to reinstall or run the Detect and Repair tool in Microsoft Excel (or Microsoft Office), follow instructions/links provided in this topic.

Method 1:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type "excel.exe" (without quotes)

3. Type a space followed by the "/regserver" switch (without quotes).

4. Now click the Open button OR hit the Enter key on your keyboard to run Microsoft Excel with this command line switch.

If you get an error that states "Cannot find the file..." or "Windows cannot find...", use Method 2.

Method 2:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Click Browse.

3. Locate the Office folder, click the excel.exe file, and then click Open. The excel.exe file is located in the following folder by default:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
It is also possible that the excel.exe file could be found in the following folder depending on which version of Microsoft Excel (or Microsoft Office) you have:
Microsoft Excel XP (2002) or Microsoft Office XP (2002): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10
Microsoft Excel 2003 or Microsoft Office 2003: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

Note: The path to excel.exe is enclosed in quotation marks.

4. Click in the Open box, and then reposition the insertion point outside of (to the right of) the closing quotation mark at the end of the path statement.

5. Type a space followed by the "/regserver" switch (without quotes).

6. Now click the Open button OR hit the Enter key on your keyboard to run Microsoft Excel with this command line switch.

This will start Microsoft Excel in the background, make changes to the Windows registry, and then quit. This will force a re-register of Microsoft Excel in the Windows registry.

Method Notes
If you put the switch inside the closing quotation mark and then click OK, you receive one of the following error messages:
Cannot find the file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe /regserver' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.
-or-
Windows cannot find 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\excel.exe /regserver'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Please note that this only applies to the full version of Microsoft Excel.

If you are using the Microsoft Excel Viewer, you'll need to reinstall it.

Last edited by lightsup55 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amerj
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Excel to open Excel Spreadsheets Reply with quote

ermmmm ......... why not just go to Tools / Options / Load-Save / Microsoft Office, and switch off the check boxes ???
lightsup55
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Excel to open Excel Spreadsh Reply with quote

amerj wrote:
why not just go to Tools / Options / Load-Save / Microsoft Office, and switch off the check boxes ???

That just specifies the settings for importing and exporting Microsoft Office OLE objects, not Microsoft Office files.

Those settings are valid when no Microsoft OLE server exists (for example, in UNIX) or when there is no OpenOffice.org OLE server ready for editing the OLE objects.

Source: OpenOfifice.org 1.1.4 Help

Last edited by lightsup55 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
amerj
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Excel to open Excel Spreadsheet Reply with quote

OK, but then why not go to Windows Explorer and update the File Types there ?
Your explanation seems rather complicated ?!
lightsup55
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Quickly re-assign Microsoft Excel to open Excel Spreadsh Reply with quote

amerj wrote:
OK, but then why not go to Windows Explorer and update the File Types there ?

Now do you mean right clicking on the file, choosing "Open Width..." then clicking on "Choose Program...", selecting the program, and checking the box which states "Always use this program to open these files"?

If so, then wouldn't you need to also do that with each Microsoft Word Document (.doc), Microsoft Word Template (.dot), Microsoft Excel Worksheet (.xls), Microsoft Excel Chart (.xlc), or Microsoft Excel Template (.xlt), Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation (.ppt), Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show (.pps), and Microsoft PowerPoint Template (.pot) file.

That's 8 file types to change manually and would take longer. Not to mention that you would first need to find a file ending with that extension.

amerj wrote:
Your explanation seems rather complicated ?!

I'm sure anyone can follow it with out any problem.

The only reason why I can't make it any easier is due to the fact that I don't know your system or anyone else's. I don't know if you did a custom installation and choose "D:\My Programs\Microsoft Office XP\" as the installation directory or if you just stuck with the default installation folder which generally is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10". I also don't know if you have Microsoft Office 97 or Microsoft Office XP or even if you are running Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) or Windows XP.

Last edited by lightsup55 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
amerj
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but if idea to make MS-Office --> OOo users life easier, then the Windows Explorer version is also valid ... your examples also require the user changing settings for each file / application type.

"I'm sure anyone can follow it with out any problem. "

That I never doubted for a second !!

And please do NOT take my comments personally (your tone implies this): I - like you - and trying to assist in OOo taking over the world Cool
8daysaweek.co.uk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lightsup55,

Thanks for posting this method. I must admit that until the 2 of you started discussing this, I didn't read the detail of your first post. I realize now that it is a good alternative way of reassociating files.

The other options you've mentioned are also shown here:
http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21

BFN Smile,
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8daysaweek.co.uk wrote:
I realize now that it is a good alternative way of reassociating files.

And for slow learners like myself, using Windows, there is available software to make association/reassociation relatively simple. I'd have to look for it, but will do so if there is a request [I did lose a CD a while back and hope it wasn't on there. Windows used to have "Winfile" file manager, but abandonned it. It had a straightforward option to associate, but handled only 8 letter files. It is not there since the "improvements". Also, strangely, the "open with" option doesn't appear to be available if Windows doesn't recognise the extension, or association could be done from there with the "always" toggle.

David.
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Also, strangely, the "open with" option doesn't appear to be available if Windows doesn't recognise the extension, or association could be done from there with the "always" toggle.
That is strange. Try Shift+Rt-Click on the file's icon in a Windows Explorer window. This usualyy forces "Open With..." to appear on the menu even if Windows does recognise the extension.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
bobharvey
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was interesting.
I just tried the /regserver trick from the command line, and it changed all the users on the XP box. I was hoping just to change my wife's login back to microsoft associations, and keep the OpenOffice.org ones in my login.

So having done her account the easy way, I had to go back and do mine using the windows file association editor.

Damn'd microsoft arrogance.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to make a sticky unstuck? This really doesn't deserve to be a fixed issue, or an issue at all. Not that I'm losing any sleep over it.

David.
lightsup55
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. This was a big problem around OpenOffice.org version 1.x time, in which the installer had an option for associating with Microsoft Office file formats by default. This meant that the user installing OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 (the last version that had this) would need to make sure those boxes were unchecked.

With OpenOffice.org 2.x and OpenOffice.org 3.x, those options for associating with Microsoft Office file formats isn't even available. Besides, various viewers for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are available if the user doesn't have the full version of Microsoft Office.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: