OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

A Powerpoint project at school
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piggysmile
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: A Powerpoint project at school Reply with quote

Our english project requires us to submit a project saved in powerpoint format but I don't have MS Office and our school doesn't have OO.org.

I'm planning to...
1. Save it in OO.org Impress format and include a copy of OO.org (*I don't know if our English teacher would find it convenient installing a copy for each PC.)

2. Export it to swf format (*I don't think our teacher can easily open that in IE.)

3. Convert it to MS powerpoint format. (*I may violate some MS patents.)

Which could be the best plan?

Thanks.
yorick
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Powerpoint project at school Reply with quote

piggysmile wrote:
Our english project requires us to submit a project saved in powerpoint format but I don't have MS Office and our school doesn't have OO.org.

I'm planning to...
1. Save it in OO.org Impress format and include a copy of OO.org (*I don't know if our English teacher would find it convenient installing a copy for each PC.)

Excellent Idea and you might add a note saying that being a student on a tight budget, you object to being forced to buy an overpriced proprietary product when a better product is available for no cost. Smile

Quote:
2. Export it to swf format (*I don't think our teacher can easily open that in IE.)

That would work so long as he has the appropriate plugin, but there are no transitions. It won't play automatically and animations don't convert.

Quote:
3. Convert it to MS powerpoint format. (*I may violate some MS patents.).

You won't violate any patents by exporting to ppt, however be aware that it doesn't export perfectly, especially if you're using animations.

Quote:
Which could be the best plan?

No1 with No3 as a backup. This way your presentation will play exactly as you intended in the first case and your teacher wil be able to read it in the second if he won't or can't install OOo.

Cheers
Yo

http://www.ooogear.co.nz

OOo M237 on OpenSuSE 10.3, SLED10, Win2K, WinXP
piggysmile
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the 3rd plan, how come i won't violate any patent if i save it to powerpoint format?
yorick
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggysmile wrote:
on the 3rd plan, how come i won't violate any patent if i save it to powerpoint format?

Because it's an OOo file that OOo creates in a way that Powerpoint can read it. The only real similarity is the file extension, which you have to have because windows programmes can't operate without them.

http://www.ooogear.co.nz

OOo M237 on OpenSuSE 10.3, SLED10, Win2K, WinXP
joerg04
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggysmile, an export as pdf my also be an option. The latest beta supports also slide transitions.

Check your presentation on a machine which has Power Point installed. OpenOffice creates no "perfect" MS Power Point presentation. I did my projects, thesis and so on always with OOo. I observed no real problem.

If you work under Linux check if the fonts used in your presentation are also present on the machines used by your teacher.

RKWard: http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
sidux: http://sidux.com/index.html
Musix: http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html
MikeZ
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello piggysmile,

If you are not using too many animations you may want to consider converting the presentation to PDF.

I used to love to fill my slides with animations of all sorts, but then I discovered that you can give a wonderful presentation using them sparingly.

a presentation in .pdf can cope reasonably well with basic text animations (bullet points appearing in sequence), it just generates many more pages.

Good luck!

MikeZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
piggysmile
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do with PDF first.
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo has an option to "SAVE AS" to save to the .ppt (MSPower Point Format) directly while creating the program.

Close the program---- then re-open the file in OOo---- That will tell you what it will look like on the teacher's PowerPoint and you can adjust accordingly.

As a classroom project, I would personally run it one more time on a friend's computer with Power Point---- but my guess is that being produced on OOo, saved as .ppt file, and played on Power Point---- no one is going to know the difference. True- you may not currently have all the motion options---- but, unless specific motion options were specified--- no one is going to know the difference.

Quote:
Extra Point Project! With all the "Save The Planet"; "Empower the Third World"; "Power to the Masses" political correctness in the educational system now days--- I would think that a presentation of the "Empowerment Opportunities of Open Office" would be a project worthy of lots of extra points!! Most of the teachers I know-- might not dare (or be allowed) to install the software- but an aural report on a topic of such far-reaching interest should be a "bulls-eye" in the extra points department. (Perhaps pre-arranging with the teck people or bringing in a laptop.

There used to be a flyer targeted to schools which would give you some ideas-- or be a great handout for such a classroom presentation. I don't find it easily in Google--- but if you look around, it may still be there (& I have a the file-- if you wanted it sent).
joerg04
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katie wrote:
OOo has an option to "SAVE AS" to save to the .ppt (MSPower Point Format) directly while creating the program.

Close the program---- then re-open the file in OOo---- That will tell you what it will look like on the teacher's PowerPoint and you can adjust accordingly...

It's not necessary to close the program, just go to menu->file->reload. However, it is an excellent hint. But consider some thinks are different in MS PPT and OOo Impress, e.g. anti-aliasing, fonts (maybe), transition times, bullets and backgorunds. So check in MS Power Point before.

RKWard: http://rkward.sourceforge.net/
sidux: http://sidux.com/index.html
Musix: http://musix.org.ar/en/index.html
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or download one of the appropriate powerpoint viewver from MS' website for free and load your ppt file created with OOo to check if it is going well.
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you've not got loads of animations then I'd use PDF as it will be the most likely to work. Fonts will be encapsulated which means that if you and your school run a different set of fonts, you won't get gibberish on the screen. It'll aslso give the best presentation quality as it will AA the text.

As for breaking patents, saving to PPT won't.

Software patents are illegal in most of the world but if they're legal in your part of the world then I'd encourage you to break them anyway, just as my cowboy thing to do for the day.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
katie
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Powerpoint project at school Reply with quote

piggysmile wrote:
Our english project requires us to submit a project saved in powerpoint format

Assignment was to "submit a project saved in powerpoint format"---
admittedly--- in the "real world" .pdf is a fine solution
However, we're talking about "school"--

Some good discussion--
piggysmile
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools are ancient.
piggysmile
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
My teacher didn't allow me to export my project into either PDF or ODP format. I think she is afraid to install something in the faculty computer for she may break something ( I don't know.)

The good thing according to the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines is...

"22....The following shall be excluded from patent protection:
...22.2. ...and programs for computers;"

I'm just so happy.
9point9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer will almost certainly have Acrobat on it. Have a look, if it is then PDF would be fine.

Glad to see the Phillipines has sensible patent laws.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: