OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

English OO with 'la' spanish keymap: no accent keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zonian1903

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: English OO with 'la' spanish keymap: no accent keys Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm running open office on gentoo 2005 and I just switch keyboards to a latin american keyboard so that I may use the two tilde dead-keys (they are accents that go over a letter and look like a tic). I switched the keyboard layout in my xorg.conf file to 'la', which effectively has the new keyboard layout working in every program except OO. To be more specific, the entire keymap seems to work well in OpenOffice, with the exception of the two tilde dead-keys and the dead-key for the accent mark that looks like a colon rotated 90 degrees that is used typically over the letter U. When I try to use these keys, OO seems to ignore them. Can someone please help me point out my ignorance? Very Happy
Thanks!
Frank
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have an actual physical Latin American keyboard why change xorg.conf ?

Why not just use Gnome Keyboard Preferences or whatever it is on KDE or whichever desktop you are using?

Last edited by Robert Tucker on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
zonian1903

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
I do have a latin american keyboard, which is why I changed the keymaps in xorg.conf and also for rc. The new keymap works great in every other application, and for the most part also works in OO, with the exception of the accent mark deadkeys. My Window Manager is FVWM so I don't have that option, but either way, shouldn't OO be picking up the key layout from xorg.conf?
Frank Perez
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found:

...OpenOffice, will not accept dead-key if the locale is set to POSIX or C (fr_FR for instance is ok). Even if you can see them in xev and produce accented character in gvim...

at:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/05/msg00091.html
zonian1903

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!
I checked my locales info and I added Spanish to locales.build as well as created the file:

/etc/env.d/02locale

To that file I added the line:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

The whole concept of locales seems foreign to me, but thats just something more to learn when I get a chance. By the way (in case anyone finds this useful) I used the following to get the locales right and consequently the dead-keys and accents working:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Create_an_UTF-8_enabled_system

Thanks again!
Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: