OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Feature idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rnstewart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Feature idea Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there is a specific place to submit ideas for new features, so I thought I would throw this one out here.

I would like to have the ability to designate a group of lines in OO Writer as "atomic" WRT page breaks. That is, if you specify an "atomic" block, the program will not split it across multiple pages; if the block will not fit in its entirety on a page, then the whole thing will be moved to the next page.

When writing up documents, I often have blocks of text (sometimes including other objects) that I want to have together on the same page -- even if that means having a lot of white space at the bottom of the previous page. I can, of course, do this manually by inserting page breaks, but this can be a pain for large and frequently changing documents, as it requires me to remove and/or change page breaks as I add new content. Automating this would be very, very nice.
albeert
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try with options "Don't split paragraphs" and "Keep with next paragraph" in paragraph style settings window (text flow).
hol.sten
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature idea Reply with quote

rnstewart wrote:
I would like to have the ability to designate a group of lines in OO Writer as "atomic" WRT page breaks. That is, if you specify an "atomic" block, the program will not split it across multiple pages; if the block will not fit in its entirety on a page, then the whole thing will be moved to the next page.

Try this: Go to the menu "Format" -> "Paragraph...". Select the tab "Text Flow". Check the boxes "Do not split paragraph" and "Keep with next paragraph". Do this with every paragraph you want. Or try selecting more than one paragraph and change the mentioned check boxes. Does it help?

With kind regards
hol.sten
RonIA
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert with it but maybe put a frame, put all objects to be together inside the frame. Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe a frame will split over a page. This will allow multiple paragraphs to be kept together on a page.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature idea Reply with quote

rnstewart wrote:

Perhaps you need a desktop publisher, not a word processor. Try "Page Plus". Free, but you need to register.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: