OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Changing running head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Running Headers Linked to Paragraph Styles? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm relatively new to Opern Office. I have used it a little, but still have a lot to learn.

I started word-processing with WordPerfect, then moved to Serif Page Plus some years ago for the greater flexibility of a DTP package. Now I find myself frustrated by inadequate Unicode support, and want to learn how to do more with Open Office.

I skimmed through the tutorial, and have figured out how to organise page styles for first, left, and right pages. Next I want to add different right-hand pages, while keeping the left-hand page the same. I guess I need to define a new page style every time the running header changes.

Is there any way to link running headers to paragraph styles so that the running headers always follow the first heading on the current page?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The header will automatically change to the last Heading 1 paragragh style used prior to the current page or in the first line of the current page if you insert the Chapter field in the header ( Insert > Fields > Other [or Ctrl+F2] > Document tab).
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

That worked perfectly, and was much easier than I had anticipated. All I had to do was create a new style for the book's title to use instead of Heading 1, and replace Heading 2 paragraphs with Heading 1.

Now, if I can just figure out how to create A6 booklets on A4 paper, I'll be up and running, but that's off-topic in this thread.
remi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about if I want the same result for a paragraph style different than Heading 1 ?
jeanweber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remi wrote:
What about if I want the same result for a paragraph style different than Heading 1 ?

The method works for any paragraph styles defined in Tools > Outline Numbering for the various outline levels. For example, you could set up "CustomHead1" as your Level-1 heading in the outline numbering dialog (replacing Heading 1), and "CustomHead2" as your Level-2 heading (replacing Heading 2), and so on. Then when you insert the Chapter field in your header or footer, you can choose which heading level (1, 2, 3, etc) you want to use. (Note: The Fields dialog box calls it a "layer" not a "level", but it's the same thing.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: