OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum
 
 [Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Corrupt XML - please help

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BiPolar
General User
General User


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Corrupt XML - please help Reply with quote

This is a 50 page document (my thesis) and I desperately need it recovered. Can someone please help me?

The file can be found http://www.joshualevin.com/help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hol.sten
Super User
Super User


Joined: 14 Nov 2004
Posts: 3533
Location: Hamburg, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrupt XML - please help Reply with quote

BiPolar wrote:
This is a 50 page document (my thesis) and I desperately need it recovered. Can someone please help me?

Got it working. The styles.xml and the content.xml contained a lot of duplicate attributes. The document now opens fine here. Although I have no idea what the original formatting was, the text is readable.

I used:
- 7zip for opening and rezipping the odt and extracting the corrupted xml files
- Firefox to check for errors in the xml files
- PSPad to delete the duplicate attributes (http://www.pspad.com/en/)
- Patience

Although the need to repair documents is annoying, it's good to know that it is at least possible.

With kind regards
hol.sten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BiPolar
General User
General User


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much! Can you send me the working document?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hol.sten
Super User
Super User


Joined: 14 Nov 2004
Posts: 3533
Location: Hamburg, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BiPolar wrote:
thank you so much!

My pleasure!

BiPolar wrote:
Can you send me the working document?

I already did that! I found your email address on your web site http://www.joshualevin.com. Something wrong with that? Where shall I send it?

With kind regards
hol.sten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
magnum2000
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Corrupt XML - please help Reply with quote

hol.sten wrote:
BiPolar wrote:
This is a 50 page document (my thesis) and I desperately need it recovered. Can someone please help me?

Got it working. The styles.xml and the content.xml contained a lot of duplicate attributes. The document now opens fine here. Although I have no idea what the original formatting was, the text is readable.

I used:
- 7zip for opening and rezipping the odt and extracting the corrupted xml files
- Firefox to check for errors in the xml files
- PSPad to delete the duplicate attributes (http://www.pspad.com/en/)
- Patience

Although the need to repair documents is annoying, it's good to know that it is at least possible.

With kind regards
hol.sten


I have an error on "styles.xml" and I can't open the odt document.
I have read your post and tried to fix the problem; I have found the error but now I don't know how rezip the "odt" document with 7zip.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
9point9
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 3875
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compress all of the file structure (inucluding directories) into a zip file then change the extansion to ODT.
_________________
Arch Linux
OOo 3.2.0

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
magnum2000
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9point9 wrote:
Compress all of the file structure (inucluding directories) into a zip file then change the extansion to ODT.


Ok, thank you.
Now OO ask me the filter type to apply; which i must choose?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
magnum2000
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Sep 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i have solved the problem.

Thanks to all Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eddiethebomb
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Oct 2011
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please i reaaly need hellp urgently my dads a lawyer and just got hit by car; this is his 5-7 page speech thing and have no idea how to fix.. it says exactly wat the dude at top said pls help Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
michal101
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Location: United State

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiethebomb wrote:
please i reaaly need hellp urgently my dads a lawyer and just got hit by car; this is his 5-7 page speech thing and have no idea how to fix.. it says exactly wat the dude at top said pls help Sad

Hey,
Have you tried file cure software. This is very useful to recover any kind of corruption of file.
Try it then tell me if your problem will resolved.
It will certainly resolve your problem.
_________________
Make It Count...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group