OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Using MID... help needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Using MID... help needed! Reply with quote

I've got a data series, where date and the value are in one cell (I have copied in from a web page). I used MID function to split it. However when I copy the data as numeber, I have blank cell. If I copy it as a number and string, I've got (') before every number and I cannot get rid of it using Find & Replace.

Is there any way either to pase MID results as numbers or get rid of this (') to convert them into numbers?
Dale
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Using MID... help needed! Reply with quote

foxy wrote:
Is there any way either to pase MID results as numbers or get rid of this (') to convert them into numbers?
Use the VALUE() function to convert the text returned by MID() into a number.

OOo documentation from the source
http://documentation.openoffice.org
Guides, FAQ, How Tos
foxy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Using MID... help needed! Reply with quote

Dale wrote:
foxy wrote:
Use the VALUE() function to convert the text returned by MID() into a number.

thanks a lot! I have not thought about it....
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text to numbers. Quotiing myself from over here http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=22952
Quote:
Try this and see if it works for you. Select the column of text numbers and do a Find & Replace. Put ^. in the Find box, & in the Replace box and check the Regular Expression and Current Selection Only boxes.

If it does work, don't ask me why.

Actually it appears that you don't need to select the column and it will leave other text and formulas alone but I haven't tested that enough to be sure it's safe. BTW, you can record a macro of this, just set the Find and Replace dialog up then record the click on the Replace All button.
foxy
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
Text to numbers. Quotiing myself from over here http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=22952
Quote:
Try this and see if it works for you. Select the column of text numbers and do a Find & Replace. Put ^. in the Find box, & in the Replace box and check the Regular Expression and Current Selection Only boxes.

If it does work, don't ask me why.

Actually it appears that you don't need to select the column and it will leave other text and formulas alone but I haven't tested that enough to be sure it's safe. BTW, you can record a macro of this, just set the Find and Replace dialog up then record the click on the Replace All button.

thanks for that too.. I will keep this in mind since it's a simpler solution....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: