OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Bug in Numbers and bullets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyolf
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Bug in Numbers and bullets Reply with quote

I have come here earlier and asked for help concerning numbers and bullets. Now, I have isolated one problem source, which may be a bug, or at least a malfunction.
Ftack's point in this thread: http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=21021&highlight=bulleted+list+format about not using the direct formatting version of bulleted lists, but to use the list styles, is good. In principle I like the way the list style superimposes a list format on whichever paragraph format is in effect. This works.

If I write something in normal text with a 5mm first line indent, I can apply a list style to that. Then the list paragraphs still have a 5mm indent:
Code:

* Text with first-line
indentation
  * Next paragraph, still
with indentation
    * Next level,
  with same indentation

If this is what I want, I can apply another paragraph style without first-line indentation to the list paragraphs, and it looks the way I want it to look:

Code:
  * Text without first-line
    indentation
  * Next paragraph, still
    without indentation
    * Next level,
      with same non-indentation

It was my understanding that I can connect the two in the "Numbering" tab in the style dialog, so that the non-indented paragraph style automatically is connected with the list style. At first it does indeed work like this.
But this is where the possible bug comes in: If I make any changes to the settings in Tools > Outline numbering, the paragraph style loses its connection with the list style (the setting in "Numbering" returns to "None"), and all the levels in the list disappear.
I've checked the styles.xml and content.xml files in the odt file, and this is how it looks, first in the style defintions:

Before:
Code:
<style:style style:name="BulletedList"
style:family="paragraph"
style:parent-style-name="BodyTextUnindent"
style:list-style-name="List_20_1"
style:class="text">

After:
Code:
<style:style style:name="BulletedList"
style:family="paragraph"
style:parent-style-name="BodyTextUnindent"
style:class="text">

And in content.xml:

Before:
Code:
<text:p text:style-name="P2">New paragraph style, based on BodyTextUnindent, connected with List 1</text:p>
<text:list text:style-name="List_20_1">
<text:list-item>
<text:p text:style-name="BulletedList">tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat,</text:p>

After:
Code:
<text:p text:style-name="P2">New paragraph style, based on BodyTextUnindent, connected with List 1</text:p>
<text:p text:style-name="BulletedList">tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat,</text:p>

As you can see, all reference to the list style is gone, both in the style definition of the paragraph style, and in the style tags in the contents file. Highly irritating. paragraphs which were formatted using the two-step approach, retained their indentation levels even after the changes to the Outline numbering.
Does this mean that the Numbering function in the Paragraph style definition dialog doesn't work the way I assumed it to? How, then?
And is there a way to accomplish what I want, that is: to combine the two steps into one, applying the list style together with the paragraph style?
Shouldn't that kind of settings remain, even if some other setting, which as it appears to the user, has nothing to do with the setting that changed (other than "numbering" in the title)?

Or is it a bug?

I'm using OOo 2.0 beta under Windows XP/SP2.
ftack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, these are likely bugs introduced in OOo 2, where the numbering is being reworked. See for example http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=54307 . Do not hesitate to submit issues when you are able to clearly describe steps to reproduce the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: