OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

English installation, but full German capabilities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: English installation, but full German capabilities? Reply with quote

Hello there,

just a few minutes ago, I've installed OOo v2.0. Despite being German, I chose the English installation because, well, that just makes things more consistent (especially concerning terminology when seeking help on these forums... ).
Anyways, while digging through the OOo dir to find out how to install the German language pack (actually, I've found a couple - which makes the issue all the more confusing), I've found that there are more language-specific files than just the dictionaries. For example, the SHARE dir contains quite a number of folders named "US-en" (e.g. in the sub-dir TEMPLATE) - so I should get the German equivalents there too, somehow.
What I want, basically, is an English installation which has all the capabilities a German installation would have too. Is there an easy way to get to this point?

Thanks in advance!
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the German language pack should enable you to have the GUI and dialogues in German.

I think you may then still need to install spelling and hyphenation dictionaries for German.
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.
However, I guess I haven't clearly expressed what I want. The interface should still be in English, but I want to be able to switch to German spelling and hyphenation dictionaries - as well as to German templates or anything else that's language-specific and not included in the English install package...
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching spelling and hyphenation dictionaries should be possible at:

Tools>Options...>Language Settings>Languages

Default languages for documents

Also "Locale setting" and "Default currency"

If you create a blank document with the default language as German and save it as a template I think you should effectively have a "German template".
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Switching spelling and hyphenation dictionaries should be possible at:

Default languages for documents

Also "Locale setting" and "Default currency"

Yeah, sure, but I first have to install the proper dictionaries - and prior to that, I have to know where to get them...

Quote:
If you create a blank document with the default language as German and save it as a template I think you should effectively have a "German template".
Well, I wasn't thinking of custom templates I've created myself. Instead, I want all the language-specific templates for the built-in wizards (e.g. letter creation; different countries, different standards) and whatever else is affected.

Sorry for being such a pain, but this is really important to me.
Robert Tucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace_NoOne wrote:

Yeah, sure, but I first have to install the proper dictionaries - and prior to that, I have to know where to get them...

Use DicOOo at:

File>Wizards>Add new dictionaries

Quote:
Well, I wasn't thinking of custom templates I've created myself. Instead, I want all the language-specific templates for the built-in wizards (e.g. letter creation; different countries, different standards) and whatever else is affected.

You really seem to be wanting it half-English, half-German. If you install the German language pack and change the User interface language and other settings at:

to German I think the built-in wizards are probably going to be in German too. The GUI and dialogues in English and the built-in wizards in German may be somewhat problematical.[/quote]
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Tucker wrote:
Use DicOOo at:

File>Wizards>Add new dictionaries

You really seem to be wanting it half-English, half-German. If you install the German language pack and change the User interface language and other settings at:

to German I think the built-in wizards are probably going to be in German too. The GUI and dialogues in English and the built-in wizards in German may be somewhat problematical.
Well, half-English, half-German sounds so negative - what I want is English GUI combined with German as well as English templates (e.g. letter templates, resume/CV templates - whatever there might be), dictionaries and whatever else there is. As I said, the contents of the SHARE dir made me aware that there's more than just the dictionaries.

So, I've installed the German OOo now, then used DicOOo to get the English dictionaries. However, I still can't switch to English GUI; the dropdown list only contains "Deutsch (Deutschland)" (i.e. German) and "Standard" (which is, well, German too)!?

I'm feeling kinda weird here though; am I the only one who's ever noticed that there's more language-specific stuff than just the dictionaries?

Update:
I just realized there's another language-specific item: The default styles (or their names, rather?)...
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of yet another language-specific item: Calc formulas (or aren't they translated in the German version? I can't check right now cuz I'm not on that PC).
I'd hate to have to use German formula names - although the ability to switch to German formula names might come handy if you're not absolutely sure about a certain item in the list...
1SOUTHPAW1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you well, in the basic installation (choose custom install) you want to include US English+German. You select the language packs.
Once OOo is running you go to EXTRAS-OPTIONEN-SPRACHEINSTELLUNGEN-SPRACHE if your interface loaded in German. It gives you STANDARD (=German) in this case. for the line: SPRACHE für Benützeroberfläche. Click on the arrow in the box and change over to English USA. Your GUI will be English next time you launch OOo.

Point two, you want the spell checker in German for your standard document. In the same window mentioned above move down and choose STANDARDSPRACHE DER DOKUMENTE:
Deutsch (Deutschland).

So you both get the cake and eat it! Very Happy
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'll check the installation again and see whether there's more than one language pack available (I don't think so though - I would certainly have noticed that).

My main point though was that even when installing the spellchecking and thesauri for another language, you're still missing some of the other language-specific components such as templates (e.g. the U.S. installation comes with a wizard to create U.S.-styled letters, whereas the German version probably has templates for different layouts) - and I'd need those too...
1SOUTHPAW1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!
I just checked on a StarOffice 8 version I have on this computer and the templates offered in the share/template folder are really not so special in either the EnglishUS or the German subfolder, but I do have both as some other people who use this computer need the German interface.
To make your own you don't even need the wizard, and of course if you used OOo or StarOffice in previous versions you can re-use the same personal templates or pick up the old standard templates. The new version of OOo can easily convert them to the new format.
Ace_NoOne
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That eases the pain somewhat... Wink

However, I was planning to re-create all of my templates from scratch since I hadn't been very experienced with OOo yet when I first created them. And being able to use the wizard for each particular language would probably help a lot there...
Plus I just checked: It seems you can't use English function names in the German version of Calc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: