OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Need the SXW viewer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KirkJobSluder
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think that a quick viewer could be built pretty lean. After all, at the core all you have is an XML document. Translation should be pretty easy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so too. Now we just have to sit back and wait for some OOo developer to see this thread.

Sit back, and get ready for an announcement Rolling Eyes

n-raj
Curtz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some extensive comparisons of PDF exports from OOo itself, with the very same documents printed to Adobes PDF-Writer, I vote for a viewer too.

The PDF files were just not good enough, in most cases.

OOo 2.0.4 on rock solid Windows 2000 (English, SP4)
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep people up to date:

I've had a reply from the person responsible for releasing (or not) the viewer detailed at http://www.engg.upd.edu.ph/~ooview/. He says that he's submitted it to java.net, but if he doesn't hear from them soon, he'll let me host it on the OOoMacros site.

I've had a look on java.net, and failed to find it, but hopefully it will be available soon, one way or another.

Russ
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have revisited the site. The viewer is less than 1.44.Mb according to the authors and has some decent functions. In theory, this would be something you could e-mail along with the .sxw attachments which would go a long way.

The only downside I read into what I saw is that it seems to require the Java Runtime environment which does not, of course, come with any version of Windows so there's another download.

I look forward to its release. Glad to see some universities supporting the OOo project.
avantman42
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liquidator wrote:
I have revisited the site. The viewer is less than 1.44.Mb according to the authors and has some decent functions. In theory, this would be something you could e-mail along with the .sxw attachments which would go a long way.

The only downside I read into what I saw is that it seems to require the Java Runtime environment which does not, of course, come with any version of Windows so there's another download.

I look forward to its release. Glad to see some universities supporting the OOo project.

The JRE requirement could be a problem on Windows, although I seem to remember reading somewhere that MS were going to include it in WinXP SP1 and all future versions of Windows. Or maybe I just dreamed that Wink

I know next to nothing about Java, so someone might want to correct me on this, but I think that, as long as the source is available, it will be possible to compile it to a Win32 binary. If that is possible, we should have a relatively small Windows-only viewer. The JRE requirement shouldn't be a problem for Linux users since Linux distributions generally include the JRE. Mind you, most (all?) of them also include OOo Smile

Russ
The Liquidator
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all to do with litigation.

Sun, I think, got the Court to stop MS calling it's out of date virtual java "java-compatible". As a result, in Win XP MS pulled Java support altogether so anyone requiring it would have to download it. There was then another Court Order under which it was ordered that they had to put Java support in (but on an interim basis).

Don't know whether that extends to the ability to run java applications or whether it's just focusing on Web pages.

Ian
brandon
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that the RTF/TXT filters should be improved.

It may be generic, but just about any word processor out there, including Notepad/Wordpad can view/edit TXT, and RTF files
Jim Shackelford

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated suggestion regarding a file viewer for Impress slideshows.

A good many of the presentations I've been involved with involve multiple presenters. The presenters have to either stop the presentation to hook up their own laptops or have a common laptop for use which can show each presentation. Since I can't install Open Office on someone else's laptop, I cannot use Impress. I either have to bite the bullet and do a Powerpoint or, as I prefer to do, use Corel Presentation to create a slideshow and then save it to an executable file. It is essentially a file viewer that incorporates the slidehow in it. No installation, no muss, no fuss. I think something similar would be very helpful for Impress users. The promise of a java viewer comes close but fails because it requires the runtime to be on someone else's laptop.
Gabor
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Save as Reply with quote

This is obviously no answer for the original problem. But if a presentation is saved as ppt, it can be shown on Windows machines. I tried it (simple ones though) and it worked.
It also worked when I used
Impress Photo Album Creator by author: Russ Phillips
downloaded from
http://www.ooomacros.org/
which quickly produces a presentation from pictures saved in the same folder.
tony.groves
OOo Enthusiast
OOo Enthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> "just about any word processor out there ... can view/edit ... RTF files"

Sure, but who wants other word processors? OOo's aim is to replace them all.

>>> "regarding a file viewer for Impress slideshows"

OOo slideshows can be exported to Flash, for which a viewer is freely available. OOo's Flash export is not perfect (no transition effects, for example), but it's a first shot, and should improve in future versions.
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Shackelford wrote:
A belated suggestion regarding a file viewer for Impress slideshows.

A good many of the presentations I've been involved with involve multiple presenters. The presenters have to either stop the presentation to hook up their own laptops or have a common laptop for use which can show each presentation. Since I can't install Open Office on someone else's laptop, I cannot use Impress. I either have to bite the bullet and do a Powerpoint or, as I prefer to do, use Corel Presentation to create a slideshow and then save it to an executable file. It is essentially a file viewer that incorporates the slidehow in it. No installation, no muss, no fuss. I think something similar would be very helpful for Impress users. The promise of a java viewer comes close but fails because it requires the runtime to be on someone else's laptop.

How good is the "export to Flash" option as an alternative to Corel's Show on the Go? Is it at a stage of quality development where it is viable for serious use? I have Presentations too, but find that OOo opens ppt and pps files quite a bit faster than Presentations, at least than Presentations 10, I haven't tried in 11.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How good is the "export to Flash" option as an alternative to Corel's Show on the Go?

Unfortuantely I only have OO 1.0 at the office as, believe it or not, I'm still on Windows 95. Therefore, I can't export to .swf format. We are in the process of upgrading pcs and I will try then. However, Corel's Show On the Go has supported every animation and effect I've ever used (bouncing bullets, fades, wipes, etc.).

More to the point, however, is that even the free Flash viewer has to be installed on a pc. If I'm using someone else's computer to show a presentation, I can't start installing software. That brings me back to two options -- either using Corel Show On the Go or doing a PowerPoint Presentation.

Quote:
But if a presentation is saved as ppt, it can be shown on Windows machines.

True, and this may be a great option if you don't have PowerPoint or have a non-Windows pc. Since I have PowerPoint, I just create directly in PowerPoint and, therefore, don't know if there are any conversion problems. Another option is to export as html. While basic slidehows can be created, most of the special effects are lost (this may have the beneficial side effect of making us focus on the message and not the medium).

I guess, to summarize my thoughts, a stand alone viewer (preferrably one that did not have to be installed) would be beneficial for users who do presentations on others' pcs. It is not a killer issue but it sure would be nice to be able to stand in front of a room of 200 business people and tell them that snazzy slideshow was created with FREE software!
Michael A. Kearsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Office File Formats Reply with quote

Microsoft Office 97, 2000 & XP use the same file formats for each version for Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint and Microsoft Access. The file viewers for Word, Excel and Powerpoint don't run vba code and so the changes in vba since version 97 are irrelevant for viewing with a viewer (There is not a viewer as such for Microsoft Access files but data from them can be exported as a snapshot which is viewable with the Snapshot Viewer which is freely downloadable from the Microsoft Office downloads site) - Microsoft however would like people to think that there is some difference in the file formats for each version so that they could convince everyone that it was essential that they purchase each new version of Microsoft Office as it came out in order to read files written in newer versions (unless it is neccessary to run vba code in the documents it doesn't matter).
Michael A. Kearsley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Viewing Presentations without Impress\Powerpoint Reply with quote

[Presentations can be exported into html - I did this with a Powerpoint pps presentation when I was going to send it to someone without any Presentation software\viewers. I don't know if they ever looked at it, but it did work.

>>> "regarding a file viewer for Impress slideshows"

OOo slideshows can be exported to Flash, for which a viewer is freely available. OOo's Flash export is not perfect (no transition effects, for example), but it's a first shot, and should improve in future versions.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: