OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

INSERT AUDIO THAT PLAYS ENTIRE PRESENTATION
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remorknevets

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: INSERT AUDIO THAT PLAYS ENTIRE PRESENTATION Reply with quote

Is it possible to insert an audio file that will play through the entire presentation or just through a set number of slides before stopping? Currently I can only find a way to have an audio file play for the slide that the audio file is inserted into...

Thanks,

Steve
austen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Insert Audio Reply with quote

We have a similar problem - we copy the CD track to the same directory as the file and insert an icon into the space at the beginning of the file (that is, not actually on a slide).

then the media player within Impress is higlighted - activate the media player and then press slide show and it goes through OK

Problem - when we try and rerun the slideshow - the media player Icons are greyed out and we have to cut the audio icon and reinsert - the media player icons are there again - but its a pain in the neck

Anyone who has actually solved - rather than this band aid - love to hear from you
yuki
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a limitation of OOo. There might be some sort of work-around, but in this regards OOo differs from MS.
austen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem so - Ppoint 2003 has a "play sound for XXX slides" facility in it.

Perhaps, room for an enhancement??
homaquebec_bis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting discovery

With Impression (OpenOffice), it is not possible to have an audio file playing from the beginning of the presentation till the end of the slide show (or for a given number of slides) and to have this audio file being integrated to the presentation such a way that the presentation becomes one file. With PowerPoint 97, 2000, and 2002 (MS Office), it is possible to have an audio file playing from the beginning till the end or for a given number of slides (MS Office 2003). In addition, the audio file can be integrated to the slide show such a way that the entire presentation holds in one file.

Here is now an interesting an amazing thing. If you create your slide show with Impression and add the sound file the same way you will do with PowerPoint, as I wrote, it will not be possible to play the slide show with the sound in Impression but it is possible to do so if you use the [free] PowerPoint viewer. This is a very interesting marriage of the expensive softwares with the free open source softwares.

PowerPoint viewer 2003 (1906 KB) can be downloaded here.

PowerPoint viewer 97, 2000, and 2002 (2789 KB) can be downloaded here.
bunced
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting that workaround homaquebec_bis Laughing
ahitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homaquebec_bis wrote:
[b]An interesting discovery

With Impression (OpenOffice), it is not possible to have an audio file playing from the beginning of the presentation till the end of the slide show (or for a given number of slides) and to have this audio file being integrated to the presentation such a way that the presentation becomes one file.

The sad part is that 1.1.5 did it nicely!
rhfarr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: playing sound Reply with quote

Is there a special way that it needs to be saved so it can be viewed with the powerpoint viewer?

I saved my file...but was not able to open it with powerpoint viewer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
homaquebec_bis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some information on how to insert an audio file in a slide show created with Power Point or with Impression.

The audio file must be in WAV format. You can use a WAV file or a MP3 file that you already have. You can also extract a CD track in a WAV format by using the freeware Cdex or an other application or, if you can, the software used to burn CD. The file that you will get will have a great size. You can keep it like this it if you are going to keep the presentation into your computer or if you want to write it on a CD.

If you want to get a final product that will not have a too large size, you will have to convert and compress your audio file such a way to have a 2 to 3 hundred KB WAV file. To do so, you can use the freeware version of Switch Sound File Conversion Software. By trying different settings, you fill find the one that gives you satisfaction according to the quality of the sound and the size of the audio file.

Now, when you make your slide show, prepare the first three slides. Under Slide Show title (the third one starting to the right), you click on Transition. In the new window open at right, choose Modify the transition. Select the speed that you want. Select No sound. Click on Apply to all. Get up to the sound window. Select Other sound. Select the WAV file that you have converted and compressed. Enable the box Play in loop till the next sound. Naturally, you have not added any other sound to your slide show. Save all your Impression file and close it.

With the PowerPoint viewer, open the Presentation file that now has the audio file integrated to itself. You should have the slides displaying and the audio file playing. Go ahead for the other slides. If some other explanations are necessary, come back.

Sorry if my english is not very good; it is not my usual language.
B-Twien
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Inserting music in Dutch version Impress?! Reply with quote

@ homaquebec_bis and others

Homaquebec_bis: thanks for the information you gave on inserting music. It is really necessary to add music in a presentation once in awhile...

Reading through your description, I found out I could not figure out where exactly to find the "Transition" you are talking about:

Quote:

Now, when you make your slide show, prepare the first three slides. Under Slide Show title (the third one starting to the right), you click on Transition. In the new window open at right, choose Modify the transition. Select the speed that you want. Select No sound. Click on Apply to all.

It might be me using a Dutch version of OpenOffice instead of English...Among the dutch users: any idea if the Dutch version of Impress is translated / made a little different??

If yes, any advice on the quoted part? I can make a .wav work for ONE slide, but after that "silence...."....Thanks for any useful advice!
timur_oo
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that FORUM and ISSUES are duplicate. Or, people should first search on ISSUES and vote for the issue if they find it or report it if it is new.
As someone noticed, this is often repeated in Forum, which makes it redundant.
This is a bug that was reported a long time ago. Please vote for it:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=24969
When there are enough votes, it will hopefully be fixed.
B-Twien
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ gtimur

I am aware (even BEFORE posting my question) of the bug and the voting...I voted already at that time!!!

I do agree on the fact that some questions being asked too many times, but if you read carefully, I had a specific and personal question....Your answer only refers to the last part of it.

Next to that, it does not really make sense to give an answer in January 2007 on a question posed in September 2006!!
Phil222

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very new to Open Office, have used MSPP for producing presentations of photos with a music background and hope to do the same thing in Impress.

Just to clarify the points made above:

I can add a music file to an individual slide (which in Impress will stop when the slide changes) but if saved as a .ppt file and viewed using PowerPoint view the music file will continue until it has finished?
homaquebec
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: playing sound Reply with quote

rhfarr wrote:
Is there a special way that it needs to be saved so it can be viewed with the powerpoint viewer?

I saved my file...but was not able to open it with powerpoint viewer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

To have a sound playing during all the presentation, I add it the way I explained. I save the file with the odp extension and then with the ppt extension. After having done that, I change the ppt extension for pps. The presentation can be played with the sound if your machine can play PopwerPoint slideshows. It your machine cannot play those slideshows, use the PowerPoint viewer.

Last edited by homaquebec on Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
homaquebec
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Inserting music in Dutch version Impress?! Reply with quote

B-Twien wrote:
@ homaquebec_bis and others

Homaquebec_bis: thanks for the information you gave on inserting music. It is really necessary to add music in a presentation once in awhile...

Reading through your description, I found out I could not figure out where exactly to find the "Transition" you are talking about:

I work with the french version of OO. In Impress, to set up the transition, you open your presentation. You click on the first slide (image) that is on the left on the screen. In the contexual menu, you have Transition: you click on it. You can choose different options for the transition and click on "Apply to all the pages". But, for the sound, you select "Other sound, you select your sound (compressed wav file), you check the box "Play till the next sound". You save the entire file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Impress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: