OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Creating concordance file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdawley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Creating concordance file Reply with quote

I'm trying to create an index using a concordance file. Using the "Edit Concordance File" dialog box, a file is created with a .SDI extension. To speed things up I want to create my concordance file without using the dialog box. Reading "Help" I see that I can manually create a file and I know what fields to include and how to format it.

What I don't know is how to create an SDI file which is apparently the only type of file that can be selected for a concordance file.

I tried creating a text file and manually changing the extension to SDI, but I ended up with jibberish.

Any idea how to create a file with extension SDI?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you have the wrong number of fields or wrong separators.

I first created an SDI file in Open Office with just one entry.
Then I opened it in Wordpad and added another line with cut and paste, editing the text.
Then I saved it (with my Open Office document still open), and updated the index.

The index is generated almost instantly. Only thing I don't understand yet is the significance of the different fields. I am sure it will become clear if I play with it a while.
mdawley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Concordance file Reply with quote

Thanks, your method works.

For what it is worth, I think this is what the fields are for:
search term;alternative term; 1st key; 2nd key; Match case; word only

Search term is the actual term that will be looked for in the document and if there is no alternative term, the search term is the term listed in the index.
Alternative term is what will actually be seen in the index for that particular term
1st Key is the top parent under which the term will be listed
2nd Key is the second level parent under which the term will be listed
Match case is false if blank or empty. If true only instances of the term with the same upper and lower case letters will be indexed.
Word only is false if blank or empty. If true, I think this means that if the term makes up part of another word it will NOT be indexed. For instance when indexing 'house' and if word only is true, it would not pick up 'houseboat'.

Ex:
USA
States
New York State 5,8

Two entries for this could be:
New York State;;USA;States;0;0 -- This would give all instances of 'New York State' regardless of case and would put them under USA and States. Note that there is no alternative term.
Empire State;New York State;USA;States;0;0 -- This would find all instances of 'Empire State' regardless of case and would include them under 'New York State'. There would not be a listing in the index that says 'Empire State'.

(just so there is no confusion, 5,8 represent page numbers returned by the index)
sookietex
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating concordance file Reply with quote

mdawley wrote:
I'm trying to create an index using a concordance file. Using the "Edit Concordance File" dialog box, a file is created with a .SDI extension. To speed things up I want to create my concordance file without using the dialog box. Reading "Help" I see that I can manually create a file and I know what fields to include and how to format it.

What I don't know is how to create an SDI file which is apparently the only type of file that can be selected for a concordance file.

I tried creating a text file and manually changing the extension to SDI, but I ended up with jibberish.

Any idea how to create a file with extension SDI?

Hi mdawley, i de-selected the autoextension checkbox and manually entered SDI extension and then saved. to my surprize and delight it worked Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: