OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Canadian English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docbill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Canadian English Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a Canadian English dictionary is being developed for Open Office? I see no mention of one on the website. I notice there is a Canadian English language setting. When I use it, it seems instead of using a Canadian dictionary it accepts both American and Brittish spelling. For example, both "favour" and "favor" are considered correct. Unfortunately, only "favour" is correct in Canadian English.

As an American living in Canada, I find it essiential that the dictionary corrects me when I accidently use the American spellings, but the sometimes the correct Canadian spelling is American not Brittish.

Bill
9point9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible cause is not having the dictionary installed. Have you used File > Wizards > Install New Dictionaries or just set it in the Options?

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
PGAGA
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, October 23, 2005

If the install wizard does not install them Canadian English can be installed manually. Canadian English is one of the older dictionaries which has been available.

To get the auto correction and thesaurus require manual editing to get them to work. For thesaurus and hyphenation, the Dictionary.lst with 1.x.x. needs to contain lines like the following:

DICT en CA en_CA
HYPH en CA hyph_en
THES en CA th_en_US

I think there is a Canadian hyphenation file now, but since I have not used automatic hyphenation with a word processor since early 1985, I have never checked. There is a British thesaurus for 1.x.x, which would make the line look like:

DICT en CA en_CA
HYPH en CA hyph_en
THES en CA th_en_GB

If you are using OOo 2.0 then the section of Dictionary.lst will look like:

DICT en CA en_CA
HYPH en CA hyph_en_GB
THES en CA th_en_US_new

The above are quoted from working Canadian English installations.

IF you use AutoCorrect, you need to rename either the American or British file with the Canadian identifier. OOo2 is tricky because the working auto correction file is kept in the Application Data folder of your profile.

Phil

There is a British
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian English Reply with quote

docbill wrote:
Does anyone know if a Canadian English dictionary is being developed for Open Office? I see no mention of one on the website. I notice there is a Canadian English language setting. When I use it, it seems instead of using a Canadian dictionary it accepts both American and Brittish spelling. For example, both "favour" and "favor" are considered correct. Unfortunately, only "favour" is correct in Canadian English.

As an American living in Canada, I find it essiential that the dictionary corrects me when I accidently use the American spellings, but the sometimes the correct Canadian spelling is American not Brittish.

Bill

It exists. Use the Wizard to download it. I just downloaded and installed it about 15 minutes ago. Note that to install the dictionary after you download it you must quit OOo and Quickstarter and restart OOo.
DaveD
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I do not have an option to Install New Dictionaries in File > Wizards.

Is this Wizard not available in 2.0?

I am running SUSE Linux 10.0 with OpenOffice.org 1.9.125. Even in the Language Settings section of the Options there is no way to import new dictionaries, which would be nice.
cardo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Suse 10.0 you can install extra dictionaries by downloading and running DicOOo.sxw macro from here
http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/dictpack.html
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian English Reply with quote

docbill wrote:
Does anyone know if a Canadian English dictionary is being developed for Open Office?l

OK, sometimes I have to stop and meditate. I'm a longtime ex-Brit, now a Canadian citizen. The only Canadian words I know that are new from my entry into the country are "Eh?" and "Beer", often in the same sentence, like "How's about another beer, eh?" So, what I need to know is how a Canadian dictionary would differ from an English dictionary, aside from the occasional misuse of the language, eh?

David.
jrkrideau
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian English Reply with quote

David wrote:
docbill wrote:
Does anyone know if a Canadian English dictionary is being developed for Open Office?l

OK, sometimes I have to stop and meditate. I'm a longtime ex-Brit, now a Canadian citizen. The only Canadian words I know that are new from my entry into the country are "Eh?" and "Beer", often in the same sentence, like "How's about another beer, eh?" So, what I need to know is how a Canadian dictionary would differ from an English dictionary, aside from the occasional misuse of the language, eh?

David.

Have a look at the Oxford Canadian Dictonary Very Happy . I think that some of the differences would be that a Canadian would use the US spelling for paediartics but the British spelling for color, and we would tend to use double t spellings where the US would not., We woud also tend to use z rather than s in something like realise/realize.

I, and an Irish colleague once spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong with catalogue only to have an American language teacher explain that they spell it catalogue. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English#Spelling for a few examples.

And of course we would spell beer properly as bière or at least we did when I lived in Hull Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: