OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Email Client?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwright142

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Email Client? Reply with quote

Brand new here so forgive if this has been asked 1,000 times but what do you use for email? I have just recently "discovered" Open Office and LOVE it and would like to completely switch but I need to be able to access email. Suggestions? Can I use Open Office but just have not found out where the client is?

Thanks in advance.
Corfy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenOffice.org does not have an email client at this time, although they are working on a program that would replace Outlook (it is called GLOW). That won't be ready for a while yet, from my understanding.

If all you need is email, I highly recommend Mozilla Thunderbird (http://www.getthunderbird.com). It is a nice free open-source email client that has excellent spam filtering (once you train it up a bit). And like OOo, Thunderbird works on Linux and Windows.

If you need groupware features (shared contacts and shared calendards), and if you use Windows, you will probably have to go with Outlook, which is around $110 as a stand alone program (still cheaper than the full version of MS Office). But of course, it only works on Windows.

If you are using Linux, Evolution is and email/groupware program that is supposed to work with MS Exchange servers, so it might serve as an Outlook replacement. I really haven't used it, though, so I can't say from personal experience how good it is (I use Thunderbird both for Windows and Linux). I have heard good things about it, though. They are working on a Windows port of that program, but it is hard telling how long it will be before that is available.

Last edited by Corfy on Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:43 am; edited 3 times in total
RGB
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, there is no email client in OOo. And for me this is OK, because I use a really good program called Thunderbird: there is no need to reinvent the wheel, so if there is a good program to do one thing, why reimplement it?
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
BookLady
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmail for Email. Let me know if you need an invite.
rwright142

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corfy wrote:
OpenOffice.org does not have an email client at this time, although they are working on a program that would replace Outlook (it is called GLOW). That won't be ready for a while yet, from my understanding.

If all you need is email, I highly recommend Mozilla Thunderbird (http://www.getthunderbird.com).

Thanks everyone for your input, I'll check into Thunderbird. I knew there were some around I just did not know if OO had an integration email client. I'm very interested in GLOW.
Best Regards.

Kaaredyret

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BookLady wrote:

Remember that Thunderbird CAN work as a GMail frontend, if needed. I never liked webmail, but GMail even offer a SMTP server for sending mail, so it is a real great offer, even for picky me.
stefank60
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bat - tremendous e-mail client and you can see what is sitting on your ISP's server before deciding whether to download or delete at server level - worth it for this alone (it's not free)

Stef
maxqnz
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on Windows (like me), and decide that you really can't stand Thunderbird, (like me), then I would recommend Pegasus, an outstanding free email client for Windows. I especially like its inbuilt ability to check and delete email from the server, without having to download it first.

OOo 2.4/XP Pro SP2 / OOo 2.3.0.1/OpenSuse 10.3
Inkpot
General User
General User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaredyret wrote:
BookLady wrote:

Remember that Thunderbird CAN work as a GMail frontend, if needed. I never liked webmail, but GMail even offer a SMTP server for sending mail, so it is a real great offer, even for picky me.

I tried to use Thunderbird in this capacity, but just couldn't get it to work. Since Gmail has such a large storage capacity, alot of my emails are pretty large. What would happen is that Thunderbird would just hang on downloading those messages and eventually timeout on me...I ended up getting rid of Thunderbird. I was bummed. Sad

Inkpot
jake_is_a_g333k

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inkpot, I had a problem with his in the .9x versions of TB. Have you tried 1.0x versions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: