OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Embedding MathML

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racc11
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Embedding MathML Reply with quote

I wonder why OpenOffice 2.0 includes an option to save a document as Word 2003 Rolling Eyes and yet there is no option to save a document with the embedded formulas as MathML. Gecko (i.e. Firefox and Netscape) can render MathML natively, and for those poor souls using MSIE there is a plugin to do it. There's no reason to keep saving a bunch of GIFs with a page.
Could this be a feature in version 2.01? Idea
shubhrakant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: It is really strange. Reply with quote

It is one of the handicaps with OO. I feel this could come in the way of faster OO adoption and migration.

In fact we are unable to migrate fully to OO due to this.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an extension at one time that allowed Writer to save as LaTeX or HTML/MathML. I haven't seen any reference to it recently, and I don't know whether it will work with current versions of OOo (I think it was 1.1.something that I used it with).

There is also this issue requesting it to be integrated into the standard build.
David
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An issue with all word processors is that they are word processors, not math programs. What is wrong with using a real math program for real math?

One of the handicaps of Word is that it will not even open a writer file! Their math editor is a limited version of MathType. If you want to do more advanced math, you'd need the fuller version. Also useful are programs such as DeltaCad for doing 2D geometric constructions, Graphmatica for 2D function and data set graphing, Mupad, Derive, Maple, Mathematica, Fathom, SPSS software, or others for 3D graphing and complex algebraic notation or statistics and application, ...and more, all transferable to a word processor.

So, why do you think that the Writer word processor is particularly more 'handicapped' than any other word processor in this regard?

P.S. I really have no opinion on which word processor you might choose to use any more than the car you might wish to drive. If I was given one free, I'd personally not be as choosy. If you want to spend the money for similarly handicapped software [there's nothing on this planet that is perfect for everyone], then please do so.

David.
acknak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Math component (formula editor) can save a formula as MathML.

The embedded formulas are 99% MathML already: you can copy/paste the formula embedded in the ODF file into a Mozilla browser and get something pretty close to the correct formula. Note: I'm not saying that it's usable, only that it's already very close to MathML as it is.

What good would it do to have the embedded formulas in MathML?

I expect that the intention is that you extract the formulas from the ODF document and transform that into MathML if that's what you need.
Ed
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknak wrote:
The Math component (formula editor) can save a formula as MathML.
The Math component can only save the formula itself as a separate MathML file. It can not save a Writer document containing formulae as a single HTML/MathML file.

acknak wrote:
What good would it do to have the embedded formulas in MathML?
Isn't that obvious? Saving as an HTML file with embedded MathML objects would mean that you have a single file that can be viewed correctly in any standard-compliant web browser.

acknak wrote:

I expect that the intention is that you extract the formulas from the ODF document and transform that into MathML if that's what you need.
That would produce a separate MathML file for each forumla, not an HTML version of the entire Writer document with the embedded formulae.
acknak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the OP didn't mention exporting to (X)HTML, only "embedding in a document."

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=80816

There is a link in there to an export filter, and an attached sample output.

Edit:
Oops, the correct link is Issue 72924: Export-XHTML: Known OLE Objects are not traversed, which is marked as a duplicate of Issue 22012.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: