OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

How to start OOo REALLY FAST?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anvilsoup
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: How to start OOo REALLY FAST? Reply with quote

Quote:

Re:How much difference between Java and C++?
(Score:5, Informative)
by Bradee-oh! (459922) Neutral on Friday October 28, @02:37AM (#13889785)
Disable Java in the options and it starts in 1-2 seconds on the same machine.

Somewhat off topic but pertinent ENOUGH... Good God man! Thank you! The Java tab in the options dialog was incredibly easy to find but for some reason I just breezed right over it. Unclicking that little devil's box just dropped my start time from 15-20 seconds to 1. I know it likely has nothing to do with the working data that this "benchmark" tested, but it sure shows how good an idea it would be to transition the Java dependency on over to native code.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/27/1425232

What is your experience? What features do you lose without Java?[/quote]
DViant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up on this forum for that same question... will disabeling Java speed up OO? At the office we're only using Calc, Impress & Write to create, save, modify and open MS Office files.
taylormc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I run up Writer for the first time in a session, it takes 15-20 seconds to start. If I then close it, and *without making any changes* start it again, it takes about 1 second to start.

I suspect that a lot of the delay is caused by OOo code being progressively swapped out to vrtual memory (like any other application), while the corresponding code for MS applications may well be locked down in memory as part of the operating system. BICBW.
taylormc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this...

In Windows NT/2000/XP, it's possible to supply a non-default value in the Registry for the size of I/O memory buffers - see http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/AdminTips/Miscellaneous/WindowsNTMemorymanagementparameters.html for details.

At work I'm running a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 under XP with 256MB of memory. I'm not sure what the default value for this parameter would be, but I've set it for 8MB of buffers, and found that OOo speeds up significantly, both when loading and when opening documents. So far I've noticed no undesirable side-effects.

Martin Taylor
DViant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've increased the default memory usage of 9MB to 64MB. It does make OO appear more snappy. Wish they had this ON by default.
esperantisto
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DViant, thanks! I neve paid attention to that parameter Sad. Now (I've done the same as you) OOo is lightning-fast.
9point9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DViant wrote:
I've increased the default memory usage of 9MB to 64MB. It does make OO appear more snappy. Wish they had this ON by default.

They could not have this by default as many machines simply don't have the spare memory. What could be done is a detection of the machines memory on installation and setting it to a suitable amount. The best way to find this out would be by mass testing with loads of settings on loads of machines.

OOoSVN, change control for OOo documents:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooosvn/
DViant
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Req is 128MB as stated at http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_20.html

So why limit yourself to 9MB? This is just me but the way OO.o 2.0 handles memory reminds me of Mac OS 9 and older.
sanelson
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Java, I tried turning it off, and it seemed to load a little faster, but it didn't really make a huge difference. On my system, it loads in a few seconds no matter what, about the same as Word. I didn't use the quickstart loader for either OOo or MSO, either. What I did notice, though, was without Java, I was unable to use the Wizards (Letter Wizard, etc.), and the macros would not work in Calc, so I turned it back on.

The 9MB of memory that you are referring to is the graphics cache. It would only speed things up if you were working with files with more than 9MB of graphics in them.

Quote:
The graphics cache saves the graphics contained in a document in your computer's main memory. This means that the attributes of a graphic stored in the cache do not have to be re-calculated if you return to the page containing the graphic after scrolling through a document.
taylormc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from my earlier suggestion for taking advantage of Windows memory management features (see above), I've done a bit of further experimenting.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Windows XP seems to pursue an opposite strategy to Windows 98 in balancing I/O cache requirements against VM paging requirements, and that this militates against good performance by OOo. This can be remedied in Windows 2000 and Windows XP by setting the registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache to 1. This restores load performance to something more like what I see with Windows 98.

I've combined this with setting the value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\IoPageLockLimit to 0x00200000 for a 2MB locked-down area. The result on my 256MB desktop is very satisfactory - first time after booting, OOo Writer loads faster than MS Word!

I think it's a shame that memory management behaviour has to be modified by playing with registry values, since many people are understandably wary of making a mistake and possibly rendering their PC unusable. Mainframe and minicomputer OSes of days gone by typically provided more user-friendly and better-validated controls for this purpose than does Windows.
revnomad
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read over this. Is there a safe way for a non-tech user to do this? Crying or Very sad Please?

NTP
taylormc
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a text file called something like OOoMemManagement.reg containing the following lines (beginning "Windows", and ending "00200000"):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001
"IoPageLockLimit"=dword:00200000

Double-click on the .reg file and the registry will be updated with the specified values.

This is the only remotely easy way to do it, as far as I know.

I guess it would be wise to back up the registry first, using whatever backup tools you use - sorry, I'm not very good on that bit, or on restoring if necessary.
revnomad
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess it would be wise to back up the registry first, using whatever backup tools you use - sorry, I'm not very good on that bit, or on restoring if necessary.

Shocked Yeeesh! Not exactly establishing confidence in the patient! Laughing

When I have some time I'll give it a shot, probably after Thanksgiving.

NTP
mehturt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about on Linux? on my machine it starts up in about 10-20 seconds, even with Java off and graphics memory size up to 64 MB.. any suggestions on how to speed it up?
it's Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz, 512 MB RAM
harwey
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mehturt,

you might try to install the prelink package on debian only type apt-get install prelink. I think it will be available on other linux brands too.

Cheers
Harald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> Setup and Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: